Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How To Pull Off A Fedora/Trilby Dress Hat

Knotten

Practically Family
I just noticed this thread. Just about everything I would say has been said already. What is interesting to me is that I have come to a point where I think I look a lot better with a hat on than without one. I actually feel a little self conscious taking it off. I honestly never think twice about it as I grab my coat and hat every morning and head for the door, and I wear a suit and tie every day. As others have said here, don't worry what people may or may not say. People go around in all kinds of hideous states of dress, or undress, these days. At least you will look classy.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
it is all about confidence my friend ... and attitude.

if you wear your lid and carry yourself in a goofy manner ... you will look goofy.

I see guys all the time wearing something they are not sure they should be wearing ... I can tell because there is a big question mark on their face

I tell my drum students all the time ... stop playing everything like there is a question mark after it ... put a period or exclamation point after it.

wear your lid with authority and attitude and it will demand respect

look at some of the cats here ... go check out the what are you wearing today thread...

check out cats like casechopper, 40cal, gdurand, hatsRme, 1mach1, alafgag, dh66... just to name very few... thats attitude man

be proud of what you wear

I consider us hat wearers a fraternity no different than Harley riders, VW drivers, etc.... we pass each other and give the nod or the tip

hopefully I will get to walk past you on the street one day and show you that respect

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
"Pulling off" a fedora or any other look, in my opinion, is simply a matter of forgetting that you are trying to pull off a look. First step is to convince yourself that you don't look like a dork (or whatever the perceived negative is, because you really don't) and after a surprisingly short time you will feel completely comfortable with it.
If you have any doubts, just post a pic of you in the hat in the What Hat Are You Wearing Today thread and we will all tell you how great you look. :)

"Pulling off" a fedora or any other look, in my opinion, is simply a matter of forgetting that you are trying to pull off a look. First step is to convince yourself that you don't look like a dork (or whatever the perceived negative is, because you really don't) and after a surprisingly short time you will feel completely comfortable with it.
If you have any doubts, just post a pic of you in the hat in the What Hat Are You Wearing Today thread and we will all tell you how great you look. :)

Amen. There is no trick to "pulling off" wearing a hat. If the sun is out or it's cold, put the hat on your head. That's pretty much all there is to it. If you spend any time at all worried that you'll look like a doofus, there's a pretty good chance you will.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
One from the early millennium. My first stetson fedora from when I was Frank Sinatra for Halloween - haha. My eyes have gone bad in the years since... ;-)
Paul, is that you in your avatar? I was thinking it was a shot of British actor Colin Firth wearing glasses and driving. If it is you, you're already dressing like a grownup -- as opposed to looking like Bart Simpson all the time -- and a good fedora will only complement it.

Hal

Practically Family
...If the sun is out or it's cold, put the hat on your head. That's pretty much all there is to it..l.
...I honestly never think twice about it as I grab my coat and hat every morning and head for the door, and I wear a suit and tie every day.
These sentences seem to me to advise you what to do - wear the hat for practical purposes:
(1) if the sun is out or it's cold (2) with a coat.
(1) states the functions of hats (I think I would add "when it's raining")
(2) I find it much easier to wear a hat with a coat, when it's cold or wet - one is more obviously wearing it for practical reasons.

Last edited:

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
You can wear a hat for more casual purposes too. It's just a little harder today when you go someplace indoors: The hat check girl has gone the way of the sabertooth and the tyrannosaur, and you have to decide whether to continue to wear your chapeau, find a place to stash it while you're there, or leave it in the trunk of your car to start with.

40Cal

One Too Many
If you have a hat that you like.... wear it. If you think you look good in it..... you do. Don't listen to comments by non-hat wearers . I get the occasional "Indiana Jones " comment or the "Gangster" comment. Mostly I get "nice hat".

Paul Trumbull

Familiar Face
Paul, is that you in your avatar? I was thinking it was a shot of British actor Colin Firth wearing glasses and driving. If it is you, you're already dressing like a grownup -- as opposed to looking like Bart Simpson all the time -- and a good fedora will only complement it.
Thanks, Ben. Yeah, that's me. This was casual day. I don't need to even wear a tie, but I promote and direct the operations of an MBA program, and I wouldn't feel right talking to these students not dressing up. I feel that would be disrespectful to them. Also, and I am sure I will eventually say this again...my maternal grandfather was Italian and very well dressed...and, in a way, I also sort of dress up for him.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, Ben. Yeah, that's me. This was casual day. I don't need to even wear a tie, but I promote and direct the operations of an MBA program, and I wouldn't feel right talking to these students not dressing up. I feel that would be disrespectful to them. Also, and I am sure I will eventually say this again...my maternal grandfather was Italian and very well dressed...and, in a way, I also sort of dress up for him.
Yes, you have it right; it shows a certain respect for them. Also, they will tend to take you at your own valuation. If you show up in a T-shirt and shorts, they will be inclined not to think of you as a teacher, but more as one of them -- which is not what you want in the classroom, I expect.

Nothing wrong with dressing up. On the weekends I wear khakis or jeans, a shirt with a collar, and boat shoes, even in the sour dispiriting heat I live in. At work, usually khakis or dress pants and a long-sleeved dress shirt, and good loafers or lace-up shoes. But then, I don't teach.

You have lots of fedora choices. The gray one you posted looks good.

These sentences seem to me to advise you what to do - wear the hat for practical purposes:
(1) if the sun is out or it's cold (2) with a coat.
(1) states the functions of hats (I think I would add "when it's raining)
(2) I find it much easier to wear a hat with a coat, when it's cold or wet - one is more obviously wearing it for practical reasons.

My opinion is a hat should always be worn for practical reasons. A hat should be functional. Which is why, for example, a hat should not be worn indoors; there is no reason to do so. Yes, it should be stylish, but first and foremost it's a functional accessory, it's not a fashion statement. If you're wearing it because it's trendy or to try to look cool, that's when you should worry that you don't. But it doesn't have to be just cold. If you're going to be out of doors at all, chances are a hat is practical and useful.

Of course, that's my humble opinion. Not everyone would agree with me. But I would bet most would echo the "don't let the hat wear you" sentiment. Put the hat on and wear it in comfort and with pride. No doubt it will keep your melon warm/dry/shaded in addition to looking great.

Paul Trumbull

Familiar Face
Oh, yes, also, Paul W. for the record, when I get home I am in my flannel jammie pants and robe - I have 5 1/2 twin boys...and on the weekends...shorts and an Elvis Costello t-shirt :)

Colt3840

New in Town
One from the early millennium. My first stetson fedora from when I was Frank Sinatra for Halloween - haha. My eyes have gone bad in the years since... ;-)

Looks Good on you! As the NIKE motto states "Just Do It"

The only problem I have faced is where to hang my hat when I am out to dinner. Now these days there is no place to put your hat when you are at an establishment or home so most of the time I will hold it.

Just remember once you take the leap there is no looking back as your collection of lid's will multiply like rabbits.;)

facade

A-List Customer
I find the 'who cares what anyone else thinks' mantra to be quite ironic given this site nowadays is little more than a bunch of middle-aged dudes posting selfies of themselves in hats. Also since it could equally apply to any number of foolish and self-destructive actions, I find it to also be poor advice.

Every minute of every day one is in public one is being judged by what one wears. Our wardrobe is our personal billboard. A fedora isn't going to make or break one's look. What it will do is draw attention to the wearer. Whether the attention received is positive, negative, or merely fleeting, is determined largely by the wearer's entire appearance. What one wears sends a message. You want to make sure that the message you are sending matches your intentions. If you think you look good but everyone else thinks you look like a bum, then you look like a bum. If one's intention is not to have everyone think one is a bum, then one had best change their look. Third party perspective aids in making sure your look is sending the message you intend. If the fedora is the cherry on top of your sundae, then you will receive overwhelmingly positive remarks. If it is a cherry perched on a bowl of dog food, then you will likely receive the opposite.

A man who just wants to fit in and to not be noticed should not wear a fedora. Decide what message you want to send about yourself, if a fedora will help send that message, then by all means wear one.

Last edited:
Well, as a "middle-aged dude who posts selfies of himself in hats," I take a different view of both the site and hat wearing. While we are being judged by our appearance, mannerisms, etc., we have the ability to proactively control that. By that, I mean we get to decide what "image" we want to project. My siggie says it all. Ain't nobody that dressed themselves this morning that didn't consider how it looked and whether it was "appropriate." And obviously, many of us feed in part on the strokes given by our fellow middle-aged dudes.

Sure, I think about what others thing of me, so I project certain images, depending on where I am. I look a lot different when I'm giving a presentation in front of a room full of people than when I go to a ballgame.

The key to this, and all types of interaction is confidence. Some of us fret more over what others may think, whereas most of the folks on here have a more "So, what of it?" attitude.

Like Moonie said, we're no different of a "club" than Harley Riders, hipsters, punks, or any other niche sub-demographic of popular culture.

Well, not furries - don't lump us in with those folks.

40Cal

One Too Many
Well, as a "middle-aged dude who posts selfies of himself in hats," I take a different view of both the site and hat wearing. While we are being judged by our appearance, mannerisms, etc., we have the ability to proactively control that. By that, I mean we get to decide what "image" we want to project. My siggie says it all. Ain't nobody that dressed themselves this morning that didn't consider how it looked and whether it was "appropriate." And obviously, many of us feed in part on the strokes given by our fellow middle-aged dudes.

Sure, I think about what others thing of me, so I project certain images, depending on where I am. I look a lot different when I'm giving a presentation in front of a room full of people than when I go to a ballgame.

The key to this, and all types of interaction is confidence. Some of us fret more over what others may think, whereas most of the folks on here have a more "So, what of it?" attitude.

Like Moonie said, we're no different of a "club" than Harley Riders, hipsters, punks, or any other niche sub-demographic of popular culture.

Well, not furries - don't lump us in with those folks.
Well said Fruno.
I haven't been called "middle-aged" in years..... I took it as a compliment!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo