Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to Pull Off a Look

Wild Root

Gone Home
Feraud said:
$60 is crazy!! The styles were not nice enough in my opinion to warrant a high price tag.

$60 is a flash in the pan man! I've seen some very nice vintage ties at an expo in Santa Monica for $95 to $250! They had very unique prints like surfers and palm trees and other tropical prints. Hand painted items will fetch a high price too... you're not just buying an old tie, you're buying collectable art work. I haven't paid $60. for a tie, don't think I will unless it's a Salvador Dali tie. For me, the styles were the nicest in the 30's and 40's... nothing made today would make me want to pay $60. for anything new in way of clothes.

BK, you are so right about the 30's ties... shops keep them super low priced because no one knows what they are and no one wants them... so, we get lucky! That green tie I posted in "Vintage Ties" I only paid $2. for! However, if I found a really rare, fantastic print I knew I'd never see again, and the price was about $40. or more... I would buy it!

=WR=

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
Putting the price into perspective, how much do you think a modern tie of decent quality will cost? Gucci? Get that $100 ready. :eek: :eusa_doh:

Regards,

J

Liberty or Hermes? Have it bring friends.

[QUOTE="Doc" Devereux]Liberty or Hermes? Have it bring friends.[/QUOTE]

Hermes--$150
Liberty of London?
TLB056Large.jpg

Ties like this go for $20 online. [huh]

Regards,

J

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Not all of Liberty's designs. Most of the online ones are older and out of copyright, whereas the more recent stuff is a little rarer. Some of it can only be found at Liberty on Regent Street, if memory serves.

This is not a great loss in some cases. I was in there recently hunting for cravats and scarves, and could not find a single piece I liked enough to buy.

[QUOTE="Doc" Devereux]Not all of Liberty's designs. Most of the online ones are older and out of copyright, whereas the more recent stuff is a little rarer. Some of it can only be found at Liberty on Regent Street, if memory serves.

This is not a great loss in some cases. I was in there recently hunting for cravats and scarves, and could not find a single piece I liked enough to buy.[/QUOTE]

Ah, ok. I understand now. Somewhere I remember seeing ties in the 1980s Esquire magazine with real gold threads running through them. They were selling for $125 then. Too bad I didn't have it then. [huh] Kind of a novelty I guess. :D

regards,

J

Wild Root

Gone Home
Sorry guys, this is some what interesting but, how much your tie cost has very little to do with how to pull off a look.

I buy vintage because I want to look 100% authentic to that of a male my age in the 1930's or 40's... depends a lot on the day but, I enjoy showing people how a normal person would have dressed in those days rather then some bad costuming done in most Hollywood films of the 70's and 80's... not all mind you but most.

Does it take time to figure out how to pull off a look you love? Yes, it sure does! Did I have it pegged when I started to find my style? Nope, I sure wasn't. All started with a black double breasted gabardine suit from JC Penny's and a wool fedora from the Coat Factory. Soon as a friend of mine told me about vintage clothes I was on to that like nothing else! Soon as I bought my first vintage tie, brown double breasted tweed suit coat and tan gabardine pants, I was all set! I found my look and I haven't gone back to buying modern since. All except for some period styled T-shirts and Jeans.

=WR=

Feraud

Bartender
Wild Root said:
$60 is a flash in the pan man! I've seen some very nice vintage ties at an expo in Santa Monica for $95 to $250! They had very unique prints like surfers and palm trees and other tropical prints. Hand painted items will fetch a high price too... you're not just buying an old tie, you're buying collectable art work. I haven't paid $60. for a tie, don't think I will unless it's a Salvador Dali tie. For me, the styles were the nicest in the 30's and 40's... nothing made today would make me want to pay $60. for anything new in way of clothes.
I see your point Wild Root. It was not so much the price as it was the horrible style and condition of the tie. Both of which are open to opinion I agree. ;)
I hope my wife is not prowling around here but I would pay $100 for a sweet looking tie! ssshhhh. I plan on bringing some spending money with me this November when I attend the QM for just that reason. :whistling

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Wild Root said:
Sorry guys, this is some what interesting but, how much your tie cost has very little to do with how to pull off a look.

Point taken. Y'know, back in high school, me and my friends always wore super baggy khakis (Dickies). We never really sagged them or wore them too low, but rather we would get them several sizes bigger in the waist, and then EXTREMELY starch them and fold the excess waist line into pleats. At the time we figured it just looked cool.

Later on, I traced the history behind this and I discovered that Chicano teens had been doing this since the sixties when full cut, high waisted pants went out of style. Apparantly The only way to get new pants to fit like 40's trousers was to do the DIY pleat/fold over routine. I still see kids do this, and I always think to myself "if they only knew. . ."

ArrowCollarMan

A-List Customer
Check this out:

I got this fine blue sport coat for $2 at a Thrift Store today.

I also got 3 ties ($1 each).

The jacket is nice. Its got nice feling lining, although I think its some kind of synthetic. Its a Nordstrom jacket but I'm not sure how old it is exactly. I really can't tell. Its not modern but I don't really think its from the 90's and I'm not sure about the 80's either. I'm also not sure what the jacket is made of. I'm guessing a lightweight wool.

The cool thing about this jacket is that I can wear it with several things. Right now I have it set up for my brown jeans or my grey cords.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Casual Weds.?

This is how I went to school (I'm a high school senior) yesterday- high-rise linen slacks, Brooks Bros. seersucker braces, navy 50's flannel DB blazer, 20's striped tie, J. Crew saddle shoes, 30's Mallory.

CIMG4607.jpg
CIMG4595.jpg

The real Henry

Practically Family
A great look! Many people don't get that well dressed on there wedding!lol

I personally like to wear a bit more casually everyday-stuff like highwaist pants(I got a nice taylor for those) with a shirt, a bow tie and a leather jacket or a sportcoat. At school days I wear newsboy caps most of the time, because I don't want my hats to get in the wrong hands!;)

Regards,
Henrik

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Baron Kurtz said:
Those look like SOCKS to me ;)

A fine look. That jacket a little short on you? maybe not.

bk

Shoes in the house? Gasp! I wore Polo argyle socks in the shoes just for the record.
This is kind of like my "Fred Astaire" jacket. He wore his jackets very short. They barely covered or didn't fully cover his rear.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
geo said:
Mr. Ghost, you must be going to a really good school. What is the shirt?

It's an international school, and I assure you nobody else dresses like me.
The shirt was custom made by a local shirtmaker and I'm using a J. Press collar bar. I'm still experimenting to find the right collar length and taper- perhaps I will bring a picture next time I get a shirt made. The shirts cost about $30 and the collar bar cost me about $6.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner