Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to Pull Off a Look

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
shindeco said:
Wore this the other day and quite liked the effect so I took a picture. The jacket is part of a suit (mid 40s) and the tie is 30s; everything else is modern. The trousers, believe it or not, are high-waisted, pure linen and I bought them at Macy's for $20! If I get back down to the States again soon, I'll try and get another pair.

summerOutfitSmall.jpg

Great look, Shindeco! I wear something like that here when I can. Diggin' the collar bar, too!

ArrowCollarMan

A-List Customer
Yeah, I figured the orange polo shirt would be a beachy thing. It wouldn't look outrageous then. I thought it all looked kind of preppy but the hats seem to throw it off considerably.

School shopping isn't over yet so I'm going to see about slacks and long sleeved collared shirts. When I get birthday money I'm going to try and talk my friend into going to Antique Row in Pomona so I can buy a vest (and maybe a couple ties). The thing is, Antique Row in Pomona doesn't have a selection of attire from "The Goldern Era". I found a pretty good vintage store with my Dad, but most of their clothes were from the 1970's.

As far as style goes I need to do something to keep my ideal appearence. Ugh. I don't want to fall compeltely into moderism.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
383586079_l.jpg

This picture was taken last December. Note that the only pieces of vintage I am wearing are my hat and jacket. The rest of my clothes and my friend's clothes are modern. In fact, my shirt is a classic oxford button-down shirt from Abercrombie & Fitch! It isn't that hard to pull together a vintage-inspired look when you don't have the resources yet...you just need to watch more old movies and develop your eye.

P.S. You don't have to wear jeans to do something "active". Corduroys and khakis will serve you just as well.
383586307_l.jpg

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I've been mixing and matching for years. It's about what looks good together. It's not always going to come out right, the the risk is not taking the risk... better to stand out wearing the jacket and cororoy than to fade into the background wearing the polo and jeans.

I like the combo.

Zach R.

Practically Family
You live and learn when it comes to style, I look back at some of the pictures I took when I first started getting into the vintage style and I wonder what the hell I was thinking pairing some of those things together.:p

It all comes with experience and plenty of research.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Arrow, you may want to go to 4th St. in Long Beach if you're looking for vintage clothes. There are lots of good shops there and the prices aren't too far off from modern clothes. But, if Pomona is as far as your Dad wants to drive, then go to La Bomba on 2nd Street! It's a crossed from Antique Row. It's in the Arts Colony. You'll find some vintage ties there, some hats and suit items! Check it out and let us know what you find!

=WR=

Wild Root

Gone Home
There's 40's in there if you know what you're looking at... $10 bucks for a tie? That's not too bad! Vintage prices may seem high if you think of it as used clothes... it's not just used anymore, it's antique and collectable.;)

=WR=

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
$10 for a tie isn't really all that much at all. Isn't $10 worth looking well dressed?
I've only ever passed on a vintage tie that I liked once and it was because it was at Camden Market in London and the exchange rate was horrible. They wanted 20 pounds for it, which at the time was about $40. That was just a little much for me at the time...of course I was planning on buying a hat from Lock & Co. or Swaine Addeney Brigg at that time. I still regret not buying that tie because I ended up not buying a hat from either store.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Feraud said:
Agree. I was at Cheap Jack's in NYC and they are charing 40 bucks for ties in horrible condition.

$40??? All the ties I saw ties there going at a minimum of like $60! These weren't even outstanding ties, either. That's for normal ties. Cheap Jack's was a little better with their bow ties....$30. I saw a few nice batwing bow ties but left empty-handed.

$5 is maximum for a vintage tie. I'm not into the flashy ones (or 40s wideboys) so i can find plenty at that price. The 30s ties i see are generally marked down because - to quote one vintage shopkeeper "no-one wants the damn things!" $1-2 is usually enough to score a nice 30s tie in Indiana. The kind of tie everyone would have been able to afford back in the day - mass market brands; superba, arrow, botany, beau brummell etc.

bk

Feraud

Bartender
Ghos7a55assin said:
$40??? All the ties I saw ties there going at a minimum of like $60! These weren't even outstanding ties, either. That's for normal ties. Cheap Jack's was a little better with their bow ties....$30. I saw a few nice batwing bow ties but left empty-handed.
$60 is crazy!! The styles were not nice enough in my opinion to warrant a high price tag. I bought the tie on the left for 6 dollars at a thrift store on the Upper East Side. :) It is in very good condition.
Picture5406.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner