Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to remove odors from a hat?

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
I was going to also suggest a scented fabric sheet. I just stuff one inside the crown, wrap the hat in the lightweight plastic hat bag we all use, and put it back in the box for a few days. I've never had an issue with staining but, being inside the hat, I have not worried too much either. I've never tried this method with heavy cigarette smell, but for the musty, mothball, antique store odor, it works well for me.

removing antique smell from vintage hat

I just received a hat from Ebay. Its great. It does though have a smell like an antique store.

Any suggestions on how to reduce or eliminate the odor? One thought is to leave in the sun? Anything else I can do or put in the hat box?

I know it has been awhile since anybody posted to this thread but I thought I would give it a bump.

I recently bought an old hat that had a very strong cigar smoke odor. I did the newspaper trick on it and it did a pretty good job. The smell was still a little noticeable so I threw a "Bounce" fabric softener in the hat box with it. After a few days the hat smells great. I don't think it just masked the odor but it seems it might have absorbed it. I used the "Fresh Linen" scent which is not an over powering scent. I might leave a sheet of it in all my hat boxes.

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
https://www.amazon.com/Zero-Odor-Pro-Commercial-Neutralizer/dp/B01DVFFUVE/ref=sr_1_5_pp?crid=1R3F9CVJJMCEY&keywords=Zero+odor&qid=1701309683&sprefix=zero+odor,aps,612&sr=8-5

This stuff. It works very well on tobacco smoke smell as well as on musty odors.
It completely removed old cigarette smell from my Rolnick with two light sprayings inside and out. It took three light applications to get out the musty smell from a different hat, but it seems to be gone for good. I haven't encountered too many othef objectional smells on a hat, but I bet it would get most any stink out.
Highly recommended.

https://www.amazon.com/Zero-Odor-Pro-Commercial-Neutralizer/dp/B01DVFFUVE/ref=sr_1_5_pp?crid=1R3F9CVJJMCEY&keywords=Zero+odor&qid=1701309683&sprefix=zero+odor,aps,612&sr=8-5

This stuff. It works very well on tobacco smoke smell as well as on musty odors.
It completely removed old cigarette smell from my Rolnick with two light sprayings inside and out. It took three light applications to get out the musty smell from a different hat, but it seems to be gone for good. I haven't encountered too many othef objectional smells on a hat, but I bet it would get most any stink out.
Highly recommended.
I have a vintage Batsakes custom with a horrendous hair product odour. Strong cheap cologne like smell. I have washed the hat, naptha bathed the hat, vinegar spritz and the odour is still there. I shall give this a try as I have nothing to lose.

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
I'm curious to know how it works on this type of odor. I have been fortunate enough to have not had this issue on a hat.
I have a vintage Batsakes custom with a horrendous hair product odour. Strong cheap cologne like smell. I have washed the hat, naptha bathed the hat, vinegar spritz and the odour is still there. I shall give this a try as I have nothing to lose.

hambone71

Practically Family
It was the nicest hat BUT the most annoying odour I have ever encountered in a used hat.
Have you thought about an ozone treatment? I realize not everyone has access to an ozone machine but you may be able to purchase one. I manage a restoration company and we have a commercial ozone machine that I can take home at will. If I had a hat with such an odor, I'd place the hat in my truck along with the ozone machine and run it for 10 or 12 hours overnight. My truck and everything in it will smell like ozone the next day and for a few days after, which is a pleasing clean smell, but when the ozone finally wears off, odors are gone. I'm a firm believer in ozone because I have seen it work miracles. Skunk, cigarettes, cigar, bio hazard odors i.e. remnants or lingering odors of dead animals and even dead humans who haven't been discovered for a few days. We physically remove as much of the odor source as possible and then set the machine and wind it up to 12 hours and then be amazed.

Have you thought about an ozone treatment? I realize not everyone has access to an ozone machine but you may be able to purchase one. I manage a restoration company and we have a commercial ozone machine that I can take home at will. If I had a hat with such an odor, I'd place the hat in my truck along with the ozone machine and run it for 10 or 12 hours overnight. My truck and everything in it will smell like ozone the next day and for a few days after, which is a pleasing clean smell, but when the ozone finally wears off, odors are gone. I'm a firm believer in ozone because I have seen it work miracles. Skunk, cigarettes, cigar, bio hazard odors i.e. remnants or lingering odors of dead animals and even dead humans who haven't been discovered for a few days. We physically remove as much of the odor source as possible and then set the machine and wind it up to 12 hours and then be amazed.
I had not considered that but as I only paid $80 for the hat reluctant to invest any more $$ into it.

You need a buddy close by who works for a cleanup and restoration company who can hook you with an overnight treatment.
My career before hatting was as a field tech for an engineering company. We were often called by the insurance company after the restoration company completed. Our job was to test the indoor air quality and approve the area for habitation. I would have had access back then but not now.

hambone71

Practically Family
My career before hatting was as a field tech for an engineering company. We were often called by the insurance company after the restoration company completed. Our job was to test the indoor air quality and approve the area for habitation. I would have had access back then but not now.
Yep! Sounds like everyday life in my world. We would call that post testing.

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
I can't vouch for it personally since I've never used the process, but there are many in the Outerwear sub-forum that use and highly recommend an ozone machine for removing smells from (leather) jackets. Nice to hear it from another source should the need ever arise in the future.

Highly recommended.
THANK YOU!!! I picked up a bottle of this from Amazon. One aplication on my BatSakes vintage and the foul odor is gone. I can now wear the damn hat!!!

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
I can't vouch for it personally since I've never used the process, but there are many in the Outerwear sub-forum that use and highly recommend an ozone machine for removing smells from (leather) jackets. Nice to hear it from another source should the need ever arise in the future.
Totally agree J.
Having read all the various attempts removing jacket stink, by far the success stories are from ozone machines hands down.
I know different size ones can be found online and reasonably priced.
I’ll go the route of other’s success should the need arise.
Bonus is it can be used for other applications like cars and closets as well.
B

milandro

A-List Customer
I have had two hats, otherwise new, which came from homes where the owner smoked and were smelling of stale smoke. The best thing. that worked was lightly treat the inside with soapy and water damp cloth and then let time do its work. let the hat aerate as much as possible.

I don't believe in removing odours by adding another smell or scent, which just to mask the odour, that is what I believe one does with most chemicals and I honestly hate the smell of some of these odor masking treatments more than the odor itself.

Washing worked also with a flatcap (the only one I have) which lining is probably synthetic ( the cap is wool tweed) and my transpiration doesn't agree with synthetic materials. It ends up smelling of old hat (it is a particular smell) and periodically I wash the lining and it seems to work (for a while).

to date I have never needed to use a UV ozone deodoriser machine. I have two. They are inexpensive ones for shoes which I bought to use with saxophone cases ( I used to buy and sell saxophones) which sometimes smell mouldy . If it is a mild infection it may work, if they are really badly affected then it doesn't.

They may very well work on hats too

Last edited:

dkstott

Practically Family
Numerous clothing items that I inherited from my parents after they died reeked of cigarette...

I hung them on hooks in our unheated attached garage for 2 weeks.. the smell was negligible afterwards.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
I have had two hats, otherwise new, which came from homes where the owner smoked and were smelling of stale smoke. The best thing. that worked was lightly treat the inside with soapy and water damp cloth and then let time do its work. let the hat aerate as much as possible.

I don't believe in removing odours by adding another smell or scent, which just to mask the odour, that is what I believe one does with most chemicals and I honestly hate the smell of some of these odor masking treatments more than the odor itself.

Washing worked also with a flatcar (the only one I have) which lining is probably synthetic ( the cap is wool tweed) and my transpiration doesn't agree with synthetic materials. It ends up smelling of old hat (it is a particular smell) and periodically I wash the lining and it seems to work (for a while).

to date I have never needed to use a UV ozone deodoriser machine. I have two. They are inexpensive ones for shoes which I bought to use with saxophone cases ( I used to buy and sell saxophones) which sometimes smell mouldy . If it is a mild infection it may work, if they are really badly affected then it doesn't.

They may very well work on hats too
Well all righty then.
If you have 2 ozone machines why don’t you fire one up and put it in a box with a hat and let us know how it worked.
Might save some of us from spending $$. That would be nice of you and we could settle this dilemma…or not.
B

I use the standard theatre wardrobe hack of a vodka spritz or for stronger odours a vinegar spritz. I too hate the smell of Febreze or the like as it most often lays an odour that is also obnoxious over top the original foul odour. The BatSakes hat was the one odour I was not able to rid from the hat. This "Zero Odor" spray is good as it has little odour...just a slight chemical smell that dissapates along with the original odour. I will continue to use the vodka or vinegar spritz but it is great to have this Zero Odor available for that odd time I encounter a persistent one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner