Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to remove odors from a hat?

There's a joke hiding in that statement somewhere, Robert :)

The more vodka spritze I have, the less odor there seems to be!
My friend a wardrobe mistress told me about the time they purchased many bottles of cheap vodka for a shoot but they always were running short until they discovered one of the crew was an alcoholic and discovered the stash. He was union so could not be fired so they switched to vinegar.

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
My friend a wardrobe mistress told me about the time they purchased many bottles of cheap vodka for a shoot but they always were running short until they discovered one of the crew was an alcoholic and discovered the stash. He was union so could not be fired so they switched to vinegar.
That first swig off the vinegar bottle must have been an eye-opener!

milandro

A-List Customer
Well all righty then.
If you have 2 ozone machines why don’t you fire one up and put it in a box with a hat and let us know how it worked.
Might save some of us from spending $$. That would be nice of you and we could settle this dilemma…or not.
B
Well, at the moment I don't have one hat where odours need removing . I could do that but there wouldn't be any use since there is no odour to remove.

The " machine" is a simple and inexpensive implement containing an UV lamp which generates ozone too

this is what I have

1703145526645.png

milandro

A-List Customer
Numerous clothing items that I inherited from my parents after they died reeked of cigarette...

I hung them on hooks in our unheated attached garage for 2 weeks.. the smell was negligible afterwards.
This I precisely what happened to my two hates which carried a tobacco smoke smell.

First dabbed a cloth is soapy water , and lightly " cleaned" the inside, the just left them airing .

I normally have a bag with lavender flowers in the hats which I keep (on a seasonal rotation) in boxes

georgie girl

One of the Regulars
I use the standard theatre wardrobe hack of a vodka spritz or for stronger odours a vinegar spritz. I too hate the smell of Febreze or the like as it most often lays an odour that is also obnoxious over top the original foul odour. The BatSakes hat was the one odour I was not able to rid from the hat. This "Zero Odor" spray is good as it has little odour...just a slight chemical smell that dissapates along with the original odour. I will continue to use the vodka or vinegar spritz but it is great to have this Zero Odor available for that odd time I encounter a persistent one.
Yes I will attest to the effectiveness of a cheap vodka spritz taking out the nasty smell (mothballs, I believe) out of my early 40's Lee hat. This particular hat is now one of my favorites, but I did have to spritz it completely about 4-5 times with some cheap vodka mini's before the smell was completely gone. It's been a couple of years, but the smell never came back.

Yes I will attest to the effectiveness of a cheap vodka spritz taking out the nasty smell (mothballs, I believe) out of my early 40's Lee hat. This particular hat is now one of my favorites, but I did have to spritz it completely about 4-5 times with some cheap vodka mini's before the smell was completely gone. It's been a couple of years, but the smell never came back.
It usually works for even the worst odours. But I bought a vintage tweed jacket a few months back and I cannot rid it of a stale/musty type odour. It is lessened but still present.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner