Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to resist buying another jacket?

John_Z

Familiar Face
I need some help folks. My heart has been going double time at the thought of a ELC Roughwear B-3. I just drained my piggie bank on original flight gear and I'm too attached to resell it so I'm all kinds of broke. But I catch myself drifting to the HPA site to dream about the B-3.
I've tried every trick in the book to resist the urge and wait to buy it but I'm losing. I need the master plan, because I've already tried...

"I don't really need another jacket"....but people don't neeeeeeed cell phones and they still all have one...maybe several.

"I'm broke right now"....but I did just get a credit card offer with zero interest for a year.

"But I just spent that much on originals"...yea but I'm doing my part to save history...I can't wear those

"I just bought an ELC B-6 last year" But that's not warm enough..."well wear a sweater under it"....but what if it gets REALLY cold?

"OK fine I'll buy the B-3....but I have to wait the length of WW2 in between jacket purchases" What if they don't make them anymore by then....or the GBP will recover and they'll be super expensive.

I need more reasons and logic fellas...I'm losing ground fast!
Get married. That should do the trick ;)

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Ditto! I mean, I try to wear all my jacket but these days, like 80% of the time, I just grab my leather trucker jacket because it's too large so I can comfortably wear it with all the cold weather layering underneath and since the weather's continually been crap, I don't care if it gets soaked. I try to wear the Schott too but it's too trim fit...

...also, here I am speaking about how successfully I am dealing with this addiction and I just bought another jacket today. But this one's totally unlike anything I have so it was a wise investment! Totally...

:Dwear the snuggest fit first and looser fit on top and so on, multiple break in time in one evening:D
Q1Ajmke.jpg

Last edited:

BobJ

Practically Family
Ditto! I mean, I try to wear all my jacket but these days, like 80% of the time, I just grab my leather trucker jacket because it's too large so I can comfortably wear it with all the cold weather layering underneath and since the weather's continually been crap, I don't care if it gets soaked. I try to wear the Schott too but it's too trim fit...

...also, here I am speaking about how successfully I am dealing with this addiction and I just bought another jacket today. But this one's totally unlike anything I have so it was a wise investment! Totally...

What did you get?

Yesterday, I saw a nice autumn-multicoloured flannel-jacket with breastpockets! But my size wasn't available and the jacket was their cheaper-made storebrand-B quality line, instead their solid made A-quality lines.
But, it looked like a real jacket, because it got an additional quilted winter-padding inside. :)

In Germany, flannel-jackets aren't popular and such jackets are even often not marked as "Flannel". In the usual clothing-chain stores, it would nearly never happen, that a person comes in and asks expicit for a flannel-jacket or lumberjack-jacket.

Brettafett

One Too Many
Same boat. Ever since trying on an M442a at the ELC pop up.... now its eating at me, and in the UK it getting colder. I need one.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Just for the spelling pedant in me, can I get everyone to understand the difference between "trawling" and "trolling". They may sound similar, but the former is what we all do on eBay looking for jackets while the latter is either sitting under a bridge waiting for passing goats to appear, or abusing people on Twitter. Cheers.

Last edited:

Pdxgeo

A-List Customer
Whenever i have a desire to spend "more than i should" on an item im currently interested in I go back to items I was once interested in and sell off enough stuff to oay for the new thing.

I sold a vintage road bike (a NOS 1980 Richard Sachs that I bought 32 years later) to fund my 1971 Fiat Spider purchase. The bike was sold at a great profit.

I sold a vintage japanese road bike with chrome lugs, a bunch of Campagnolo bits and some NOS Maxi Car bike hubs to fund my DD Beck which is now gonna be my Aero Bootlegger. These items were sold at a modest profit but they were just sitting around in my basement.

Dig deep (in your attic, basement, garage.) You have something you dont use that someone else would pay for.

dioxide

New in Town
The way I see it is, I see it as a way of rewarding myself. However, that way of thinking has gotten me to spend way too much for what I'd like...

A-1

One Too Many
The way I see it is, I see it as a way of rewarding myself. However, that way of thinking has gotten me to spend way too much for what I'd like...

I'm sorry to say but this is what most people say to themselves when they buy something. Me too. It's the last thing that works for me! I started wondering why I need to reward myself with clothing, or does it even have to be something materialistic? So I started doing great days in the outdoors, one-day-trips or just walking my dog through the forest. This is a lot more rewarding for me as it seems.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Variety is the spice of life!

Before i leave for a gig i think of my set list, think of my mood and choose which bass i will play that night.
Yes i could play it all with my P bass and be the guy who played the same instrument his whole career, but i don't see the fun in this.

Same thing with leather jackets. Where am i going, what am i doing, what is my mood, it all influences what jacket i wear.

I agree that it can become expensive, but IMO as long as you can afford it, aren't starving your family or selling your kidneys to buy leather then go for it.
Life is too short not to spice it up.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Variety is the spice of life!

Before i leave for a gig i think of my set list, think of my mood and choose which bass i will play that night.
Yes i could play it all with my P bass and be the guy who played the same instrument his whole career, but i don't see the fun in this.

Same thing with leather jackets. Where am i going, what am i doing, what is my mood, it all influences what jacket i wear.

I agree that it can become expensive, but IMO as long as you can afford it, aren't starving your family or selling your kidneys to buy leather then go for it.
Life is too short not to spice it up.

The P-Bass (3-colour sunburst, tortoise pickguard, vintage tuning pegs) is the only bass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner