Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to travel with hats

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Brent Hutto said:
As summer vacation approaches (feels like summer is already here in South Carolina) I'll recall this thread from April...

I'm flying to England for a week in late June and hadn't planned on taking my everyday hat, just the Tilley hat I wear to play golf. The closer it gets to the day the more I'm realizing that I'll feel a little bit lost without my hat. I wear it damn near everywhere and to be that far from home with my bare head showing just seems...off somehow.:confused:

It's a big, tall-crowned Borsalino Alessandria with a good-sized brim. So I think actually sitting in a high-backed airliner seat with it on would be awkward. But I'll have suitcase and golf clubs and carrying along some sort of box or can is right out. Other than seated on the plane it'll have to spend most of the time perched atop my head (or in my B&B room when I'm on the golf course).

This is a real newbie question but just how much of a banging or crunching can a hat like this bounce back from. It's made of super light and thin felt and came open crown. So I have to sort of rebash it in minor ways all the time. But I don't think I've ever actually sat on it or had something crush it flat, which I suppose could happen on the plane or on the train. Can I just massage it back into my crappy center-dent shape and be good as new?

I'm tempted to buy a "rollable" fur felt hat but I'm afraid this one has made me a little bit of Borsalino snob. And it's bad enough paying 200+ bucks for a hat I wear 350 days a year, hard to see paying almost that much for a Borsalino rollable one. Plus my Alessandria just fits like a custom-tailored suit, makes me wonder if some other randomly selected "Size 7-3/4" will be as comfy.
When I go on airplanes with a hat it stays on the floor or on my knee for the trip. The overhead will crush it. Why bring a hat and then have to re-block it? It will be expensive, time-consuming and may not come out your way. Heavy bags roll around in the overhead and your hat has zero chance. The "knee" solution is the same one I use for a hat at a movie or concert. Even if there were a public coat rack in the lobby for some function, I wouldn't put my nice hat there. I once had an expensive Borsalino stolen from my church's help the homeless fundraiser when I left it on the hatrack. One alternative is to buy a crushable Borsalino which are sold by retailers. But if you like your Alessandria, the only thing you can do is keep it in your seat space, unless you ask the pilot to wear it.

One Too Many
Sleep Cap

:) I often travel in my job, by plane and bus, I am using hat every time, in plane I can sleep very well and put the hat over my face, like sleep cap, in this way people can not see my sleepy face and when I am awake, open the table and put it on.
By bus is the same way, but here I can hang on drink perchs.:)

James71

A-List Customer
On short flights I wear mine.

On flights to the USA from Sydney I pack it in my checked luggage. I sit it upside down, pad under the brim with clothes, and stuff it gently with socks.

Ive not had one damaged yet, although having said that, my hats are all akubras so I have no experience with straw hats or those stiff cowboy hats.

leo

One of the Regulars
One method I've tried a few times on long flights is clipping the brim to the seat back pocket with a wooden spring clothespin.

It works well when there is sufficient legroom. Otherwise, you'll end up shifting it around occasionally.

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
On my recent trip to Montreal, I kept mine on the floor by feet - never had any issues. Didn't get dirty and I didn't step on it either. For a while I wore it over my face while sleeping, but 80% it was on the floor. I wouldn't put in in the overheard for fear of things moving in flight and crushing it.

Also had no issues going through security, I just put in the tray with everything else and went on through.

dwebber18

One of the Regulars
How do you fly/travel with your hat?

Good afternoon gents! My wife and I will be going to NYC in August, and I would like to take my Montecristi with me. How do you all fly or travel with your hat or hats? We will be flying to NYC, so I am mainly worried about what to do with it on the plane. Its not a $1000 hat, but it means alot to me and I want to have it with me and not get crushed.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Are you only bringing the one hat? If not, just wear it. It is probably the safest way to bring it. Plus, it makes a convenient sleeping mask.

dwebber18

One of the Regulars
Well I definitely want to take that one, and maybe the hat I won off ebay last night, but I'll decide that when I get it. I'm also hoping to purchase a hat while I'm in NYC especially since I'll only be staying 1 block from Wroth & Worth, so I will atleast be traveling back with 2 hats

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Well, I don't fly, but I am contemplating how to get several hats cross-country when I take the train. My solution; the USPS. Yes, it will cost. Yes, there is a risk. But it's worth it by my measure. Most hotels will allow you to ship something to them. Or, even better, if you have friends or family in the area, send a hat or two their way (with their permission, of course). For the homeward trip, if you mail them the day you fly out, odds are you'll beat them home. Or, put in a request to hold packages at your local P.O. until you return.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Not-Bogart13 said:
For the homeward trip, if you mail them the day you fly out, odds are you'll beat them home. Or, put in a request to hold packages at your local P.O. until you return.
Many stores, hatters included, will ship your purchases to coincide with your arrival home AND you won't be charged sales tax (8.875% in NYC) if shipped out of state. Tax savings on a purchase over $150 pretty much pays for shipping.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
dwebber18 said:
Good afternoon gents! My wife and I will be going to NYC in August, and I would like to take my Montecristi with me. How do you all fly or travel with your hat or hats? We will be flying to NYC, so I am mainly worried about what to do with it on the plane. Its not a $1000 hat, but it means alot to me and I want to have it with me and not get crushed.
Knee and floor.

dwebber18

One of the Regulars
The shipping it from the store to avoid tax was a good suggestion. I also thought about the knee option, but this is potentially hazardous for me, since I'm 6'4" and the seats on the plane are not. I tend to come off a flight with bruised elbows and knees. Maybe I'll just take one, wear it and not worry about it. Unless it gets smooshed by the rubber fringe in the x-ray machine. Guess I can always put it in a bin with my shoes, belt, wallet, change, watch...

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
dwebber18 said:
The shipping it from the store to avoid tax was a good suggestion. I also thought about the knee option, but this is potentially hazardous for me, since I'm 6'4" and the seats on the plane are not. I tend to come off a flight with bruised elbows and knees. Maybe I'll just take one, wear it and not worry about it. Unless it gets smooshed by the rubber fringe in the x-ray machine. Guess I can always put it in a bin with my shoes, belt, wallet, change, watch...

I am 6'6" and don't have a problem with my hat on the plane (well no more problem than my head on the plane, but that is a different story). I find that while there is no room on my knee, the gap formed by my long legs between the seat and my feet is a great place for a hat. Also, it goes fine through the xray in the bins that they use.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
In planes and trains I open the little table and rest my hat on it. Or, if the room is too tight for my long legs, I use my wife's table. She's a cute shortie;)

cptjeff

Practically Family
It depends. If a quick trip, I wear one fedora and pack a flat cap or two. If longer, there is a pocket at the top of my suitcase that fits a stingy or two (stacked) pretty well. Stuff a few socks inside the crown to keep them from getting too battered, and there you go.

Unca Dusty

Familiar Face
Not with the ones I care about...

I guess it depends on where you are going and how you are getting there, but...

I once watched one of my prized hats wash down a Guatemalan river and had an annoying travel acquaintance say in a condescending voice, while laughing, "Never travel with something you can't replace." (I fantasized about saying "You mean like you?" and throwing him in, but I'm a pacifist--plus, it seems I can always manage to replace annoying traveling acquaintances).

I could have punched him then, but I did take his advice to heart. If I truly care about it AND it is something that is not designed to take punishment, I don't take it with me. There are always exceptions, of course.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Unca Dusty said:
If I truly care about it AND it is something that is not designed to take punishment, I don't take it with me. There are always exceptions, of course.
This is true about clothing as well. For instance, quality tailored clothing (suits, sportcoats,odd trousers, etc...) and dress shoes should be allowed to rest for at least a day or two between wearings, which is usually impractical in most travel situations.

donnc

One of the Regulars
I took a pretty big hat last airplane trip, and had it on my lap, at my feet etc. Worst thing was a few drops of coffee on it, and it got a little bent up, but you wouldn't know now. A really fragile, uncleanable hat I would worry about, but maybe the swells who wear that kind of stuff should be going first class, where I'm sure it's less of a problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner