Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to travel with hats

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
So I paid for TSA precheck, mostly because I am chronically late. But an added benefit seems to be that they've been letting me keep my hat on to walk through the metal detector. One time they did ask me to show the inside, but so far nobody has told me to take it off and put it through the machine.

Cuvier

One of the Regulars
If this has been asked before forgive me. I searched but didn't find anything. I will be heading out on a business trip soon and plan on taking one or two hats with me. If it was just one I just wear it. Two complicates things a bit. My desire is to take my Fed IV and Dobbs Coachman Homberg. I would need to stash one in my luggage for the flight. What would be your suggestion on how to accomplish this?
Basically I'm trying to find a small hatbox that might fit inside my suitcase.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
If you search for "travel hat case" on a popular very large ecommerce site named after a south American rainforst, there are a variety of options that pop up. But honestly, I don't think any of them are feasible as something you intend to pack into a suitcase.

Pick one, or carry one, or buy a small travel case and use that as your personal item.

Cuvier

One of the Regulars
If you search for "travel hat case" on a popular very large ecommerce site named after a south American rainforst, there are a variety of options that pop up. But honestly, I don't think any of them are feasible as something you intend to pack into a suitcase.

Pick one, or carry one, or buy a small travel case and use that as your personal item.
I have found some but didn't know if y'all had any experience with this. Better to learn from those who have been there. Worse comes to worst I can wear one for the trip but I want to take both.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I have found some but didn't know if y'all had any experience with this. Better to learn from those who have been there. Worse comes to worst I can wear one for the trip but I want to take both.

If the specification is that it has to be packable, I can't speak to that.

This is the travel hat can I use when I feel motivated enough to:

Unless you're traveling with a very large check in suitcase, this is not going to be packable. But I will toss it in the overhead with very little hesitation.

Cuvier

One of the Regulars
If the specification is that it has to be packable, I can't speak to that.

This is the travel hat can I use when I feel motivated enough to:

Unless you're traveling with a very large check in suitcase, this is not going to be packable. But I will toss it in the overhead with very little hesitation.
That gives me some perspective. I can read dimensions but seeing something for scale really helps. Looks like I may be debating which hat to take instead. Homberg or Fed IV.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
If you wear caps, you can easily travel with a half dozen for variety.

Agreed! I posted much earlier in the thread that I find myself traveling with caps. My business travels since Covid have been mostly 2-3 day forays. I can more easily do my stuff carrying 2 caps. I pack them stuffed with rolled tissue paper (to have them hold shape) and slipped into big zip top plastic bags. If TSA takes a gander through my carry on they glance at they and have not investigated them. My luggage recieves much less attention than I do. The pins in me (athletic injuries) frequently have me pulling medical info out.

Caps are excellent travel companions, IMO.

Cheers, Eric -

Who?

Practically Family
Agreed! I posted much earlier in the thread that I find myself traveling with caps. My business travels since Covid have been mostly 2-3 day forays. I can more easily do my stuff carrying 2 caps. I pack them stuffed with rolled tissue paper (to have them hold shape) and slipped into big zip top plastic bags. If TSA takes a gander through my carry on they glance at they and have not investigated them. My luggage recieves much less attention than I do. The pins in me (athletic injuries) frequently have me pulling medical info out.

Cheers, Eric -
Compared to a hat, a cap conveys a totally different image.

They are not interchangeable.

Last edited:

Cuvier

One of the Regulars
If you wear caps, you can easily travel with a half dozen for variety.
I will be taking a flat cap in my luggage. But I will be doing the suit thing and what I'm planning needs a Homberg or fedora. Last time I took my three caps.

Cheers, Eric -
Between football, horses, work, and other injuries I have a good bit of metal in me. I keep a folder of my medical records on me if I travel. TSA doesn't like me.
I usually keep my travel hat on my head and always travel with just one.
I think that's what I'll have to do. Booooooo.
Compared to a hat, a cap conveys a totally different image.

They are not interchangeable.
I'm working on a Navy pinstripe suit with wide peak lapels. A grey Homberg or brown fedora would look great. I will probably be using my brown hickory cane as well. A cap just wouldn't look right.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
I usually travel with my trusty, unlined Mayser fedora or my Dobbs Cross Country. Both are bulletproof and can really take a beating. Like Eric, I usually throw in a flat cap...just because I can!

20201029_040202.jpg 20201029_040251.jpg 20191111_130118.jpg

Cheers, Eric -

I usually keep my travel hat on my head and always travel with just one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner