Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to travel with hats

I had to google wind trolley and realized that my Vintage Stetson I bought off Alan has it, I have no idea how to use it though
But you should not be using that fine hat in such a fashion! Don't be backpacking with it.

What HJ said. I'll wear my 7X's in the rain but never where I may lose it to the wind or great outdoors due to my misadventures. I bet HJ is the same. I've got a vintage or two that I've had to re–attach or replace the trolley's.

JessieJames

One of the Regulars
What HJ said. I'll wear my 7X's in the rain but never where I may lose it to the wind or great outdoors due to my misadventures. I bet HJ is the same. I've got a vintage or two that I've had to re–attach or replace the trolley's.
I'm not really an adventurer forest kind of gal. I meant attach it to my backpack when I'm traveling, like in Europe very much in the city, walking around.

I'm not really an adventurer forest kind of gal. I meant attach it to my backpack when I'm traveling, like in Europe very much in the city, walking around.

Okay, I got it. Then no, It's not intended for that sort of attachment and I don't think it would be strong enough to survive the travels on a bp. An option might be a silk bag for hat storage. Someone here used to offer them but I cant remember whom.

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
Bob at Black Sheep Hat Works copied & perfected this idea from a vintage hat. When extended the loop is long enough to hang on any hook or knob, or to tie another cord to.

To extend simply pull the loop & the "coin" on the other end will recede behind the sweat.

View attachment 167542

To retract the loop simply pull the coin. Once retracted I slide the coin back behind the sweat to be out of the way.
I have a Habig from Vienna, Austria with holes for that. I I couldnt figure out why they wohld be there!!

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

JessieJames

One of the Regulars
I too have hats with them, but have no idea how to use them.

apparently like this. Found this on google images but it's from a Fedora Lounger

this is so some old school stuff, it will still let the hat fly off but at least it won't hit the ground if it's "attached" to your jacket/shirt's button hole
1028247569_6cc6c63875_o.jpg

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
I was just talking to my brother this morning, explaining the trolly, and how I thought it worked. He's a clothes horse, always has been. He had his first career success at The Custom Shop, which used to be an exclusive chain, mainly in upscale malls. Even though he wore $3,000 suits most of his life, he said he has one jacket with an actual lapel buttonhole that you could use something like that with. Apparently you need to also wear vintage clothing, or they're basically obsolete ---- other than overcoats, I pointed out. Not that many of those actually button to the neck anymore, I was informed.
All of my overcoats have come from thrift stores. Here I was shopping vintage when I just thought I was being cheap!

JessieJames

One of the Regulars
I got this idea I think off another fedora lounge member when I was digging through forum posts. This is for short term transport like when you're out and about or in my case when I'm biking around. It works very well. Took an old lanyard from an event pass from work and looped it around the crown and then took the other end and put it through my backpack straps and then back to the crown loop.

You could do this with a thick strap and it might be better than the clips because you could secure it around the crown better but I haven't had any issues so far and I biked twice with this. I also stick a little clip just for added security although I don't think that'll keep anything from flying off if it happened. You could even make a belt type of system with holes.

Here is what it looks like

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190606-232630_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190606-232630_Gallery.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,279
  • Screenshot_20190606-232621_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190606-232621_Gallery.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,288
Last edited:

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
I got this idea I think off another fedora lounge member when I was digging through forum posts. This is for short term transport like when you're out and about or in my case when I'm biking around. It works very well. Took an old lanyard from an event pass from work and looped it around the crown and then took the other end and put it through my backpack straps and then back to the crown loop.

You could do this with a thick strap and it might be better than the clips because you could secure it around the crown better but I haven't had any issues so far and I biked twice with this. I also stick a little clip just for added security although I don't think that'll keep anything from flying off if it happened. You could even make a belt type of system with holes.

Here is what it looks like
I'm sure glad to see you have fenders!

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Maybe it’s a “Vienna” thing. I actually once bought a hat here in V-town. It was a dark brown fedora with a 3.25 inch brim (a bit too wide for me, really) and it had a hat-leash with a button on the end. I asked them to snip it off. Not my thing. I gave that hat away at some point.

DanK76

New in Town
For those like myself who have taken to wearing a cowboy hat quite often, how do you travel with your cowboy hat when on an airplane? I know you can use a hat can, but I really would like to avoid using one if possible. What is everyone’s suggestions? Thanks!

1967Cougar390

Practically Family
For those like myself who have taken to wearing a cowboy hat quite often, how do you travel with your cowboy hat when on an airplane? I know you can use a hat can, but I really would like to avoid using one if possible. What is everyone’s suggestions? Thanks!

When I have flown I wore my fedora until boarding the plane. After getting seated I sat it in my lap.

Steven

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21