Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to travel with hats

Barry

Practically Family
This is overkill but it will keep my hat safe. I think it was intended for a cowboy hat...maybe. A cardboard hat box fits in fairly well. At some point I'll put some type of a mount inside and re-line everything. Personally, I'd rather have a hat like the one Matt Deckard photographed. That would be easier than lugging this thing around.

Open:

Closed:

MattC

A-List Customer
Wear one, roll up the other

I wear one, roll up a Borsalino Traveler and pack it. Comes in handy since it works as a rain hat. In my experience, it gets its shape back faster if you wear it. Heat from your head brings back the shape.

I have a lightweight Optimo. I just can't bring myself to roll it up. Maybe next time....

Flash Gordon

Familiar Face
When you fly, where do you put your hat?

It'll get squashed in the overhead compartment, under the seat in front of me is where I put my carry-on bag, and the brim is too wide for it to be comfortable to wear during the whole flight.

There's probably a thread devoted to this topic, but I'm flying overseas next week and would love to take a fedora, and want to hear your latest thoughts.

Cacklewack

One of the Regulars
I usually just leave mine on my head unless I find an empty seat in which to place it. Otherwise it's in my lap, regardless of how uncomfortable it may be!

Matt

M_Jones

One of the Regulars
I tilt it forward a tad 'till it covers my eyes and try to sleep. I have also shown it to other passengers who really open up when occupying the same space for several hours and are interested in my choice of headgear.

When I'm not sleeping? Well on the lap or on a knee it goes.

Regards,
Hollis

Aerol

A-List Customer
Overhead

I've been on 6 flights so far this year, including two on tiny commuter planes. I just put my Optimo in the overhead. People are usually very careful when they see it. I fold my coat and put the hat on the coat. This usually suffices to "claim the space."

A few other thoughts:
Put your had and coat at the aft end of your overhead bin. Then when the plane brakes on landing the other items in the overhead will move forward, away from your stuff.
A good, soft, quality hat is easier to travel with than a cheap, stiff hat. If it does get crushed, it can easily be reshaped.

SMCK

New in Town
On flight hats

Im intrested in this thread as last summer, I had my favourite panama ruined by being squashed in overhead locker,tried getting the creases out but doesnt really work for me .Wearing it doesnt really suit me, cant put your headback. Im still looking for a light plastic hat case that would easily fit into the overhead locker; but havent found it yet, Maybe someone out there might know about where to get one?

funneman

Practically Family
Flew to Vancouver from Florida last summer, and to Philadelphia last week. My Stetson was at times on my head, on my lap, on the tray table in front of me. Wasn't really a problem.

Ironically, in Philly a group of young Orthodox Jewish men got on our plane and began putting those magnificent Borsalino Bellinis in the overheads, while stuffing their emply Benchcraft boxes under the seat in front of them.

If you're really worried about your hat on a long flight, most hat stores, and some western wear stores have inexpensive plastic hats boxes that are within carry-on size restrictions. I bought one for a friend who often flew to Nashville. He used it all the time.

Most good quality felt hats will pop right back into shape following a little light crushing. Straw hats, as we have read here, don't seem to fare as well.

I received a lot of favorable comments from the folks in Philly and NJ on my fedora, double breasted wool overcoat and scarf.

riccardo

Practically Family
Hi to all,
I always keep my hat on the lap, but for a longer trip I think...why don't get an hat case? I think that for a long trip you have to bring a lot of case...then one little case more...

Best regards.
Riccardo.

MattJH

One Too Many
funneman said:
I received a lot of favorable comments from the folks in Philly and NJ on my fedora, double breasted wool overcoat and scarf.

People are far more friendly here than the nation is led to believe.

Adam_H

New in Town
That's what travel-hats are for, gentlemen. Wear the hat in your collection that is the most resilient, then don't be afraid to squish it a bit.

If, at my destination, I plan to wear an elegant and delicate hat I will pack it in a hat travel case.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
I tend to put my hat on the floor directly in front of my seat (and as far back as possible), so that it sits just in back of my legs. There is kind of a natural safe zone there where nothing is going to disturb the hat. Of course, you can put something under the hat so that it's not directly on the floor getting dirty. I find that this is the most stress-free way to go.

That being said, I'm still considering getting one of those travel cases, putting it in the overhead bin and just not worrying about it at all.

Here's a question: for the most part, my experience has been that the security screeners allow you to wear your hat through the metal detector. Some may ask you to remove it so that they can just see that there is nothing concealed in the hat. My fear, however, is that one day I'll take a good hat along with me, and that will be the day that some screener forces me to put the hat in a gray bin and have it x-rayed -- much to my horror as those dreaded heavy black rubber strips have there way with my vintage Stetson. AAAAGGGGHHHH!!!!!!:eek:

Cheers,
Jimmy

Lady Blue

Familiar Face
I would bring the hat box I got with my Optimo and carry it in there for the most part-its durable and and the hat will not be crushed. If I feel like wearing it when I'm on the plane, I will or I'll keep it on the tray table in front of me and put it on when meals come. But with that there is the potential of bending the back brim down on the extra high seat backs. That being said a travel hat would be more appropriate for sitting on the plan rather than the precious vintage or custom.

Hat Can

There are "Hat Cans" in single and double sizes from a variety of Hat Shops and Western Shops.

Here is a link to one such can as an example:
http://www.rods.com/p/3981,12_Single-Hat-Can.html

Sometimes on Ebay you will see a Hat box or Case that is more like a piece of Luggage and those are pretty sharp.

BUT if you want to wear your hat while traveling and you want the luxury of tucking it away during the flight, those crushable ones are probably your best bet. Didn't Borsalino make one that sort folds up?

MattJH

One Too Many
John in Covina said:
BUT if you want to wear your hat while traveling and you want the luxury of tucking it away during the flight, those crushable ones are probably your best bet. Didn't Borsalino make one that sort folds up?

I have one. There are two different kinds, both called Travelers. They're unlined and are from the "Rain Proof" line (even though they aren't rain proof). One version has a leather band, the other a grossgrain - both are thin. I have the grossgrain version in black on black. You can virtually squeeze the thing into a ball and it'll pop back up unphased. I like it a great deal.

Mark G

A-List Customer
I fly a lot with hats, sometimes for over 30 hours in transit, so I use a hat can. I can shove it under the seat or put it in the overhead. I've even checked it (I use a suitcase strap to make sure it stays closed), it's almost imposible to destroy it. I've never had a problem although I get some really strange looks when customs asks what's in the case.

staggerwing

One of the Regulars
Tony in Tarzana said:
You don't wear a crusher cap with your Dave Clark headset? lol
Actually, I tossed out my expensive David Clark in favor of a much more comfortable Telex. The DCs made me feel like my head was in a vise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24