Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to travel with hats

Washington

New in Town
I actually travel quite a bit for business..

and the last several times I've flown with my one and only Art Fawcett lid. If I'm lucky there is room in the overhead, but most often I either hold it in my lap or place on top of my briefcase under the seat in front of me.

Slightly off topic:eek:fftopic: This last trip I received three compliments on my hat. I'm still new to wearing one, so being told how "classy" I look and how nice it is to see "a man dressing so well" really goes a long way to making me feel more comfortable when I'm in it.

Leading Edge

One of the Regulars
Dumbjaw said:
I have one. There are two different kinds, both called Travelers. They're unlined and are from the "Rain Proof" line (even though they aren't rain proof). One version has a leather band, the other a grossgrain - both are thin. I have the grossgrain version in black on black. You can virtually squeeze the thing into a ball and it'll pop back up unphased. I like it a great deal.

Sounds like a necessity! Does anyone know of a source for the Travelers?

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Anyone know anything about these PVC hat boxes offered threw the Australian e-bay. Just do a search for QUALITY PVC WESTERN/AKUBRA HAT BAGS- GREAT COLOURS. They don't mention shipping internationally but it may be worth asking.
Johnny

RBH

Bartender
Leave it on or take it off on a airplane...[your fedora]

Before heading out this morning to get in some yard work, I turned the TV on to the Hat channel [TCM].
The film playing was The Solitaire Man (1933).
The scene playing was a man was getting on a plane and as he sat down he placed his fedora in the overhead rack. There was a gentleman that was already seated who had his hat on , upon seeing the other man remove his hat he then took his off and placed it in the empty seat next to him.
Although this is only a film I think that it shows how men dealt with their fedoras on a plane. The one gentleman was content to keep his fedora on till another man boarded and removed his.

AlanC

I think plane travel was a bit more gentlemanly then, though. They didn't have cattle class like most of us fly in today.

I think you could probably just deal with the hat on a short domestic flight. For my next international flight (not for several months) I hope to have a rollable Panama from Bob to take care of the issue. One of those pocket Borsalinos would be cool.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
RBH said:
I turned the TV on to the Hat channel [TCM].

RBH -- Love "the Hat Channel." lol lol lol

Given the downsizing of coach seats these days, I'm not sure you could fit a fedora into the empty seat next to you...:D

Cheers,
JtL

Edward

Bartender
For modern cattle-condition economy flights like most of us are on, I'd take my cue from Indy in Temple of Doom and sweep the hat forward over my face to sleep... :)

Undertow

At least in the states, I'm surprised they even let men wear hats on a plane. Anymore, the hat might be made of a questionable material.

I can see the airport security now:
"What is this...you call...fur felt?"

"I don't know Jim, but it sounds explosive to me, I think we should run him through the bomb sniffing dogs?"

"Good idea, and while we're at it, let's delay him so thoroughly that he misses his flight!"

"My god...is that Bay Rum aftershave in a plastic bottle, next to his shampoo and toothpaste?! Yep, he's tryin' to blow something up!"

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
I guess in today's society, and considering how cramped planes are, I would definitely be afraid to take my fedora off and try to put it somewhere. (Cringe at the idea of another passenger sitting on it, luggage rolling over on it in the overhead)

Guess that explains why on my last flight out of town to visit family last Thanksgiving, I just wore my fedora on the flight.

RBH, interesting scene in a movie. Good example of social psychology and peer pressure!

big kahuna

Familiar Face
I always wear my hat on the plane...

While flying "steerage class," one forgoes even basic comforts, so keeping your hat on ensures the survival of your hat, seeing as many folks try to cram huge bags in the overhead compartment. Also being a plus size person, I stick up above the head rest, and the brim of my lid never hits the seat back.:D

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
when we flew, I took my hat (a brent airlite) off and used it as a pillow against the pillar between the windows. No adverse effects on the hat, and I slept through most of the flight.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
RBH said:
Before heading out this morning to get in some yard work, I turned the TV on to the Hat channel [TCM].
The film playing was The Solitaire Man (1933).
The scene playing was a man was getting on a plane and as he sat down he placed his fedora in the overhead rack. There was a gentleman that was already seated who had his hat on , upon seeing the other man remove his hat he then took his off and placed it in the empty seat next to him.
Although this is only a film I think that it shows how men dealt with their fedoras on a plane. The one gentleman was content to keep his fedora on till another man boarded and removed his.
There probably was no special hat etiquette for planes vs trains. Unless you were concerned about how you might look if found dead - a very real possibility for the average air traveler in 1933.

Edward

Bartender
I guess a soft / crushable hat is the main option when flying now!

:idea:

Someone should make a hat that looks like a fedora but with a mechanism like an opera hat, allowing it to be stowed flat....

Undertow

Edward said:
I guess a soft / crushable hat is the main option when flying now!

:idea:

Someone should make a hat that looks like a fedora but with a mechanism like an opera hat, allowing it to be stowed flat....

I have just the thing!!!

All you'll need are some scissors, some masking tape and a lot of patience.

airhat.jpg

Now go ahead and print two copies of this off at your home computer.

Make sure to cut well along the lines (don't want to mess THIS hat up!)

Tape around your head.

When you arrive on your plane, simply pull off and lay flat in overhead storage or underneath seat.

WahLah!!

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Undertow said:
I have just the thing!!!

All you'll need are some scissors, some masking tape and a lot of patience.

airhat.jpg

Now go ahead and print two copies of this off at your home computer.

Make sure to cut well along the lines (don't want to mess THIS hat up!)

Tape around your head.

When you arrive on your plane, simply pull off and lay flat in overhead storage or underneath seat.

WahLah!!

lol lol lol :eusa_clap :eusa_clap lol lol lol

Mike H

New in Town
I usually stow mine overhead or under the seat in front of me.
On another airport related topic -
Have any of you ever been asked to remove your hat at the security gate?
I've had this happen a couple of times. They were looking at my photo ID and I suppose they couldn't make a positive identification while I had the hat on.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
AlanC said:
If Undertow's idea doesn't appeal, take a look at this vintage Borsalino Dinerman bought.

Yeah, that one. It's a great hat, perfect for travel, but now I need to fix it. I'd got into the habit of rolling it (It rolls so well, and after all, that's what it was designed to do) and some of the sweatband stitching broke. I don't want to mess it up any more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24