Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How well do suits clean up?

Artemis Entreri

New in Town
So I bought a slightly cheap 3 piece suit. 6 button vest, 4 pockets. 2 button jacket. Dark blue with thin vertical white stripes.

It's nothing special, but my first suit, as I am and have always been a blue collar type of guy. Jeans and band t-shirts or plain black or white tshirts my entire life (I'm 25).

That being said, I find myself drawn to this style of dress more and more as I get older. Now it definitely won't be a everyday type of thing as I work for NYC sanitation and going to work, well it's not the cleanest area at all. But for those nights when I'm out eating and or drinking, if things get a bit out of hand and I get lets say beer on the coat/vest/pants, how well does it come out if you send it to the dry cleaner?

Mostly I will prob make this suit my going out with friends to drink suit and get a nicer one to go out with, with say the girlfriend. I believe the suit is either polyester or a polyester/wool combo, as I'm sure that will come into account with how well they clean up.

Thanks all, having a great time reading everything I have time too, it's all a bit overwhelming for someone like me, who this kind of dress was never even a thought in my head, but it is definitely growing on me.

Another question, what should I be looking for in the way of shoes? I wear a 13, honestly I've worn untied skating shoes my whole life, DC's to be specific. So something comfortable is really necessary for me, and I've always worn semi pointed shoes if I had to rent something for weddings and what not, but the shoes that sort of come to a rectangle ish end seem nice and roomier, is this true? And what are they called, if they have a name?

I know that is a lot of rambling, appreciate reading it, and hoping someone can give a little bit of info.

-Steve-

Michael Carter

One of the Regulars
First the shoes. Black oxford or conservative wingtip. You don't need anything fancy for your first pair. What you need is quality and comfort. Spend the money for a decent pair of shoes. Your feet will thank you. Don't go to Shoe Circus or any other discount store for your first pair of dress shoes. You can do that for your third or fouth pair after you know what you're looking for and looking at.

Go to a reputable shoe retailer or larger department store and have a shoe salesman wait on you measuring your foot and fetching you several sizes or styles to try on and walk around in. You're not buying a six pack of beer here. You need to male sure these shoes fit properly and that they are of a quality construction.

As for the suit, nearly anything except dried blood, motor oil, and deep-set chocolate stains can be removed. Stay out of fights if you can help it. I have a Nomex flight jacket I was wearing during an accident and it's still blood soaked because I waited too long to get it to the cleaners.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Artemis Entreri,

The fabric is quite important on how you care for the suit. To be on the safe side, and if it truly is a poly/wool blend, you should take it to a reputable dry cleaner (in fact, find someone who you can develop an ongoing relationship). A good dry cleaner should be able to clean the suit up, press it properly and maybe even sewn on any missing buttons.

If you're more of a DIY sort (like many of us on here), you should read the care instructions tag buried somewhere in the suit - usually in one of the pockets. You may also refer to the following links for some further reading:

PO'd About Stains
Textile Compendium

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I dont have the actual terms at hand here, but re the shoes, if youre getting lace-ups, be sure to get a pair where the pieces that contain the lace holes are separate at the bottom and not joined together.

You want like this:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:7,s:10&biw=1004&bih=583

Not like this:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...&ndsp=12&ved=1t:429,r:6,s:55&biw=1004&bih=583

The brown ones allow for a better fit over the width of your foot. The black ones are more restraining and more difficult to get a proper fit.

Just my .02.

HoundstoothLuke

Familiar Face
I dont have the actual terms at hand here, but re the shoes, if youre getting lace-ups, be sure to get a pair where the pieces that contain the lace holes are separate at the bottom and not joined together.

You want like this:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:7,s:10&biw=1004&bih=583

Not like this:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...&ndsp=12&ved=1t:429,r:6,s:55&biw=1004&bih=583

The brown ones allow for a better fit over the width of your foot. The black ones are more restraining and more difficult to get a proper fit.

Just my .02.

I believe the top is a derby and the bottom an oxford- although if I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me in due time!

I personally oxfords for the sleeker look. That said, I've never actually tried any derbys, so perhaps they do fit better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner