Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hurricane Sandy

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
You'd think they would have checked the weather forecast before sailing around in that area.

There is some Coastguard video on The Weather Channel of them winching up survivors from the Bounty.

Things seemed to gotten quieter here for the last half hour or so - of course as I type this, I hear the wind again and the lights do that flickery thing...

I think they were trying to outrun it. Hurricanes are pretty damaging to boats left in port and it's likely with a hard hit the boat would have been destroyed- sometimes captains try to out run the storm. Apparently the ship was taking on 2 feet of water an hour- that is some scary stuff. Abandoning ship is the last thing you do- after you've tried everything else- as you're safer on the vessel than off most of the time. Things must have been horrific to make that call. I feel really sorry for the two people who died, but thank goodness they had gumby suits and were able to make it on the emergency raft and it wasn't a total loss of ship and crew.

I've known a lot of people who work on the remaining tall ships, and it's a sad loss for the community of shipmen and shipwomen to lose one of their own, possibly two.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Gonna go down to the river and see if it is flooding yet. I'll try to get a picture or two.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Down at the Delaware river.
387678_10151294676872905_27142226_n.jpg

TM

A-List Customer
You know, being in California, I really prefer earthquakes. There is no notice, and then it's over.

NOT like what we are seeing now on the east coast!

I hope the Loungers at risk there come out all right. I'm worrying about you.

Tony

Auld Edwardian

A-List Customer
At present it's 50F. with a light rain and gusts up to 57 MPH. There were a few times earlier this evening that we thought that we were going to lose power, as the the light have flickered several times. The last flicker was just a few minutes ago. I have also heard some "bangs" outside from time to time, but nothing has hit the house as far as I can tell. We have a friend that lives only three blocks from here that lost power around 8:00 PM. I'm hoping that the large trees around our home stay put, and the power stays on.

Kishtu

Practically Family
Frightening stuff. Please look after yourselves, ladies and gentlemen. You're all too precious to lose.
(And besides, you know too much...)

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
The wind at around 12:30 this morning was incredible! I have no idea of its speed, but it was buffeting my house so bad as I was laying in bed I was expecting it to become detached from its foundation. I'm on the third floor and I was being rocked back in forth....it didn't put me to sleep, though.

Harry Gooch

One of the Regulars
Role Call - How did everyone do during "Sandy"?

Wore my cloth cap this morning. Not really wide brim weather in Toronto.

A building on Queen Street in Toronto burned down last night. Extra firefighters were needed to contain the embers during the high winds.

How about members in the more severe path of the storm?

Snow in West Virginia?

Sing out.

High regards to all,

Harry.

MrAcheson

New in Town
Lots of rain and wind in Delaware. We lost power at 5pm on Monday night and didn't get it back until 8am this morning. But we've been pretty lucky. Our only loss is a bunch of food in the fridge that spoiled.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner