Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I ain't no david attenborough

chippler said:
A few weeks ago a really ugly bird flew down and sat on the railing. It was honestly the ugliest bird I have ever seen. It had things like chicken combs on it but they were hanging down on either side of its face. I wish I could have taken a picture but I was too slow.
- Chris

That's no way to speak of the landlord's wife!

Los Angeles Wildlife

Out this way it all depends on where you live in LA. In my area we have, opposums and the oocasional raccoon also skunks. Just a couple of miles away they have deer, coyotes, mountain lions, and black bear. Many areas have hawks and owls. On the fringes you have to watch out for rattlesnakes.

My brothers house in Walnut has rabbits, and quail and gopher snakes, seen a rosy boa, and roadrunners go thru his back yard plus lots of coyotes.

Last month in Monrovia coming out of the Pen Club meeting, we watched several deer wander thru the neighborhood,

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
Oh geez. Do I hear banjo music in the background." :p ;)

Regards,

J

Probably. I do anyway,... :D
But just the other morning on my way to work, I stop at a stop sign in a sub-division that used to be a forest, and is now about 30 years old. I look over to my left for traffic, and standing on the tree lawn not 30 feet away is a 12 point buck. :eek:
The deer never left when the developers tore down the forest. Now they get hit by cars and it can be quite destructive and dangerous to both car and driver. :(

Buckeys are nuts!

patrick1987 said:
I used to think our state nickname was because of all the deer. :eusa_doh:
Buckeye is a reference to a type of plant and the nut it produces. Also in the cigar trade it refers to a small store doing it's own onsite hand rolling of cigars.

chippler

New in Town
John in Covina said:
That's no way to speak of the landlord's wife!

lol. The other day I saw another one of the ugly birds. I will surely get a picture one day. Its face could sour milk.

- Chris

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jamespowers said:
I could do it too. Clearly I have been watching too many of those nature shows from over there. :p
" Look at that crocodile over there. He's just eyeing me waiting to take a bite out of me if I am not careful. Crickey! He's a big one." :p

Regards,

J

Ha ha! Classic!

John, we've got skunks here too, but . . . oh, yeah, we're not allowed to talk politics! lol

Rosie

One Too Many
Lovely!

This is about the extent of wildlife I see regularly:

Img_1084%20pigeon%20fluffing.jpg

eating-squirrel.jpg

Though on VERY rare occasions in summer, one of these will drop by my yard but NEVER when I have camera in hand

cardinal.jpg

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Cool!

I saw a pair of these one evening in down town SF of all places.
raccoon.jpg

They were SO big (med sized dog easy), I thought they were gonna mug me.

LD

Etienne

A-List Customer
Where we live is just on the outskirts of Los Angeles county and we have lots of deer, turkey vultures (UUUUGLY!), possums, squirrels, raccoons, coyotes, bobcats, skunks, and lately the migrating Canadian geese. There are numerous blue heron that fly to the lakes nearby as well. This is the perfect time of year to observe all of them!

Benny Holiday said:
Ha ha! Classic!

Thanks. :p
My dog awoke me a few weeks ago at about 4am. She had something up a tree near the driveway. She wasn't likely to let it get away either. After waking up and being in not that great a mood then, I went out to see what she was doing. I looked up in the tree and saw something. Then I looked closer. Yep, it was a huge racoon that was shaking with fear. :eek:
I got the dog to move away and tried to get the racoon to move on. He didn't move for about ten minutes. He finally took off across my garage roof and toward the patio. We could find out where he went to.
He was still around a week or so later though. This time the neighbor's dog and mine chased him to the front yard. I looked out my window to see what the commotion was and didn't catch what it was right off. It looked like a child climbing down from the neighbor's tree. I waited at the window and yep, the racoon came out and onto the fence. He disappeared into the front yard.
Some say racoons are not afraid of dogs and will do harm to them. I guess I am lucky that we have a local chicken racoon. :p

Regards,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart