Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I Am Superior To You

Richard

Familiar Face
So i'm out doing some errands, it's HOT here in the southern california desert, and i'm wearing my cool panama straw hat, and there's people all over the damn place, and NONE of them are wearing hats, ok, a few here and there have a baseball cap, but even those are unusual, and I'm thinking, you people, what is WRONG with you, why don't you put a DANG HAT on??? And this attitude of superiority is quite strange since it's only been a month or so since I've been wearing hats, but still, I can't help thinking, these people are MORONS. They dont' ahve enough common sense to put a HAT on in this BLAZING SUN!!! THEY'RE HOPELESS!

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Note...the title for this post is a bit off-putting.

This is what happens when a lack of common sense is coupled to poor taste and modern fashion.

I'll admit I was out & about without a hat today, but it wasn't for long. I need to size down my panama a bit before I start wearing it.

Victor

One of the Regulars
When it gets really hot out my panama can get quite warm. I want to get a Tilley so that I can soak it in water and cool my noggin when it bakes outside

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I wonder if they will feel so superior when they are older and have skin like leather and look like wrinkled prunes. And have skin cancers to boot. The need to conform to what is considered cool is stronger than their desire to look or feel better when they are older; it is stronger than their desire to protect themselves from severe sun damage in the here and now. Californians live and die by "cool."

I knew people years ago in New York City who were so arrogant about their cigarette smoking that they refused to stop even when they were around me, a person who was allergic to it. They looked at me like I was an idiot when I asked if they would not smoke in my presence. Three of them are dead now and one is dying. Guess why?

And one was a dear friend that I miss every day of my life.

You can't tell them what they are doing to themselves, you just can't.

karol

Richard

Familiar Face
reasonable precautions

people work real hard to defend habits they don't want to change. Eating, smoking, hats, whatever it is, if they want to do it, they'd prefer to go on attack mode than reconsider. on the other hand, some risk is worthwhile. it just seems like you ought to take the good fun risks (and pay the price if necessary) and avoid dumb risks with no particular benefit or fun. I have no idea where cigs fit in that equation, as they made me kinda sick on my first attempt in 1978. Skin cancer though, not a good risk, not interested. see no potential downside to having a hat on. As for food, well, you don't really want to know. But my spartan diet is the ridicule and amusement of all my officemates. Today's lunch; one tin can of marinated bean salad.

Michael Mallory

One of the Regulars
I don't live in the desert (well...L.A.), but I see people every day on the street corners holding newspapers up over their face to shield themselves from the sun. I roll down my car window as I pass and holler, "Get a hat!" I don't know if it does any good or not, but who knows? It might.

Renderking Fisk

Practically Family
I don’t feel SUPERIOR to people who wear fedoras, I just feel bad for them. I just can’t imagine not wanting one. How can you not? It’s about the coolest thing a man can wear, they’re timeless and they’re practical.

riccardo

Practically Family
yeah,my friends...

Richard said:
So i'm out doing some errands, it's HOT here in the southern california desert, and i'm wearing my cool panama straw hat, and there's people all over the damn place, and NONE of them are wearing hats, ok, a few here and there have a baseball cap, but even those are unusual, and I'm thinking, you people, what is WRONG with you, why don't you put a DANG HAT on??? And this attitude of superiority is quite strange since it's only been a month or so since I've been wearing hats, but still, I can't help thinking, these people are MORONS. They dont' ahve enough common sense to put a HAT on in this BLAZING SUN!!! THEY'RE HOPELESS!

...could you think here, in sicily...the sun is very hot...and the winter is cold and, in some place, very damp.

I like to wear a felt hat during the winter, until april or may...it's very good fo my cervical...and i love wearing hat.
In summer i lke to wear straw hats...sometimes cloth hat, but i prefer the first one.
But wearing hat is not usually (sorry my english) and when you wear your hat and enjoy yourself with it all the people look at you...you feel your eyes n your person...
I guess we are out of time...but for us is not a problem.

I shall continue to wear my felt, straw or cloth hat...they will continue to see me with an amuse expression...but i'm feel good so!!!
...bleah...my english...could you understand anything...?
Regards.
Riccardo :cheers1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot