Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I appear to have missed something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prydonian

New in Town
And I genuinely apologize if I'm breaching protocol in some way, but I've just now received an email about The Powder Room becoming female-only, and since I've had such a thing delivered to my inbox and been exposed to such an idea I feel I'm now entitled to add my thoughts, speaking as someone heavily involved in the study of contemporary gender dynamics.

I find this extremely dismaying. This may be a forum dedicated to the finery of the past, but this kind of gender segregation isn't something the world needs to bring back. I gather some individuals have posted unkind comments directed at female members, and as unpleasant as that is this solution is no less offensive. It endorses the idea that "men" can't be trusted to act civilly, based on the actions of a few crass people. It's logical nonsense, and it's vile.

Like it or not, this is by definition an inherently sexist response, not a progressive one. It goes without saying that if men tried to create their own "no women" forums every time they were accused of being dumb, loutish, or violent, they'd be derided for it.

The fact is, women - and it's astounding to have to express a concept this basic - have the wherewithal to exist in a co-ed society without needing the additional protection of closed doors. That is because they're people, rather than some fragile, exotic other, devoid of wit or the ability to defend themselves. This fearful move is slap in the face to both genders.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot