Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I dont care...

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
texasgirl said:
ScreenHunter_10Mar111443.jpg
(and lots more)

Thanks Texasgirl! What a cool look backstage.

I want Depp's coat and hat. Want them bad!

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Johnnyphi vs. Johnny Depp

OK... I have a hat that is a pretty darn close match to the hat shown in the photos. From what I see, the only major difference is the brim treatment.

When I found this hat, it was in rough shape (very dusty with multiple moth nibbles), but it was my size, so I had it cleaned and blocked, and I kept it for myself.

The dimensions are as follows:

Crown Height (Open): 6"
Crown Height (Creased): 5" (Sides), 4 1/4" (Front/Back)
Brim Width: 2 1/4"
Brim Edge Treatment: Unfinished
Ribbon Width: 2"
Brand Name: Unknown. Liner and sweatband are marked with store name

B. Hirsh
Men's Wear
Belair, MD.​

I'm not trying to compete with THE Johnny Depp, but I thought it would be fun to show y'all a couple of pictures of the hat. Since the proportions of the hat are so important, I decided to take a couple shots of the hat on an actual human head. (Plus, I figure it's about time I show my mug on the Lounge.:D )

IMG_1422-1.jpg

IMG_1433.jpg

IMG_1442-1-1.jpg

JohnnyPhi-Fedora-3.jpg

IMG_1503-1.jpg

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Swell hat, Johnnyphi!

I'd venture to say it's from the '30s. Dimensions are spot on, and it has hallmarks such as an unreeded sweatband, which are typical of the period. Could always be '40s, since we don't really know the maker, but most likely '30s.

Any labels under the sweat?

Thanks for posting this, and it's always nice to be able to put a face to a name.

Brad

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have a few hats I believe to be from the Thirties and they all have that same very thin unreeded sweat in creamy yellow.

For whatever it's worth, that feathered trailing edge on the ribbon was something pretty commonly seen on Cavanaghs.

Looks like a fairly lightweight, pliable felt. Is that indeed the case, or are my eyes deceiving me?

Real nice lid, Johnny. If you don't mind disclosing, who did the clean and block?

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Not many clues under the sweat...

There is a re-order number, which has no distinguishing features. "7 1/2" is hand-written on the felt, behind the seam in the sweat. Probably, the best clue would be to search records of the store name. I've never found any other labels or liners with "B. Hirsch" stamped inside.

Brad Bowers said:
Swell hat, Johnnyphi!

I'd venture to say it's from the '30s. Dimensions are spot on, and it has hallmarks such as an unreeded sweatband, which are typical of the period. Could always be '40s, since we don't really know the maker, but most likely '30s.

Any labels under the sweat?

Thanks for posting this, and it's always nice to be able to put a face to a name.

Brad

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
Johnny, the hat is wonderful and it really suits you.:eusa_clap You had a slew of wonderful hats, but I think you kept the best for yourself

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Right on...

TonyB...

I'm not a Cavanagh expert, but I can tell you that you're right about the pliability of this hat. The felt is exactly 1 millimeter thick at the edge of the brim, so I assume the same width would be found throughout the hat. I can crease, and re-crease this hat to no end, even after it was re-blocked... In fact, I had this hat in a firm C-crease for a couple of months, until today. I put it into a diamond with no trouble and used a little steam to set then new creases.

Vincent Corvelli cleaned and blocked the hat. He is a great old gentleman in Bethesda, MD. He is listed in the phone book under "American Hatters". Like you, he is an honest-to-goodness hatter, and he does most of the work for hat shops in the DC area. (As I remember Mr. Corvelli's story, he learned the trade from his father in Italy, and imigrated to The States when he was young.)

Anyway, I knew this was an old hat, and asked Mr. Corvelli to block it in the style of the day. I also told him my fiance thought the hat was "too tall". He told me that the hat looked great, and recommended that my fiance should get used to the height. He returned it to me with a center dent and elongated side pinches. I've experiemented with other creases, and it always holds new shapes, but it easily returns to shape imparted by Mr. Corvelli.

tonyb said:
For whatever it's worth, that feathered trailing edge on the ribbon was something pretty commonly seen on Cavanaghs.

Looks like a fairly lightweight, pliable felt. Is that indeed the case, or are my eyes deceiving me?

Real nice lid, Johnny. If you don't mind disclosing, who did the clean and block?

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Thanks, Bart....

Don't worry... I didn't keep any 7 1/2 Stetsons for myself. I like this one because it was a fixer-upper. It still has some dark patches where I used a needle to pull felt over the moth nibbles. It's one helluva hat. When I saw the Public Enemies movie poster in the theatre, I looked at my fiance, and said, "Baby, that's my hat."

Not sure if you can tell from the close-up photos of my hat, but the felt is relatively "furry", which gives the hat a really nice sheen.

handlebar bart said:
Johnny, the hat is wonderful and it really suits you.:eusa_clap You had a slew of wonderful hats, but I think you kept the best for yourself

kaosharper1

One Too Many
"Vie en Rose" was also a great hat movie, along with the Changeling (which were also great movies in general). I don't see them mentioned here at the Lounge very often.

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
The Changeling was a darn good one...kudos to Clint for that effort...though, his boy oughtta learn a new theme now and again...all his soundtracks are starting to sound the same...;)
Rob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner