Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I give up

renaissancemedici

One of the Regulars
I have been playing around with the idea of being more vintage for ages. I have planned wardrobes, thought about hair etc. I am even growing my hair longer so as to be able to find a nice versatile haircut (not middy, not for me...). As you can imagine I have done none of that.

However

I am in the middle of a complete wardrobe de cluttering and general re thinking. So, it's the perfect time to see which way to go. Thinking about things I realized that the 1930s 1940s look that I love so much simply isn't for me. That's why I keep planning but never dress like that. Because I keep looking for the perfect 1940s dress, that never appears because nomatter what I do I will never look good in those styles.

To make a long story short, my best style is the 1950s, hourglass shape. Not the New Look huge skirts, but the pencil and a line skirts, the trousers, the fitted tops, everything. The hir is a bit tricky, but I decided that a shoulder length flattering bob will serve both modern straight, and vintage pin curly styles. (Any tips appreciated on that one).

My rant ends with the purpose of this post: I just want to make a commitment and start with my 1950s wardrobe. I have already checked out the basics thread, and it is very useful.

Any tips, ideas or free online book links on the subject, would be wonderful!

Hopefully I will keep renewing this thread as I plan and make the wardrobe happen!

I am a sewing girl, and I have some fabulous pattern drafting books that make me dream.

Anyway, I think I'll start with pencil skirts (I don't have a single one for winter!:eusa_doh: ) Never show the knee, right?

renaissancemedici

One of the Regulars
One book that I have is: Practical Dress Design by Mabel D. Erwin, and it's wonderful. I found it free online in this page , and I hope it's ok to link. She says it's free from copyright. You probably know about it already.

Anyway, some of those styles are amazing and very wearable today.

I also have a couple of Lutterloh from the 1950s. Very nice too.

wahine

Practically Family
I can totally understand you, not every girl looks great in 30s or 40s wardrobe. If you don't feel comfortable wearing it, it's the right decision not to. But maybe you still could keep a bit of that dream in the back of your head, just so when that perfect dress might cross your way some day, you don't miss it. I wouldn't call it giving up, anyway. As you put it, you're starting somewhere. Who knows where your path will lead you. :)
I myself have a wild mixture of 40s-70s wardrobe, most of it is from the 60s and 70s, for practical reasons. I simply can't find, or can't afford, the 50s stuff I love so much. So I kinda started with my grannie's 70s wardrobe and see where my path leads me (hopefully waay back)
:D.

A pencil skirt is an essiental part of a fifties wardrobe. I inherited several winter skirts which are modern but have a classy look (old ladies' style often looks vintage, at least to me). Knees covered!

renaissancemedici

One of the Regulars
Lucky you, to have original clothes from any era! I wish my grandma had kept some of the clothes I see in her photos. My mother is also ruthless with old clothes. She doesn't get why I'd wear such old styles. lol She is definitely more 21st century than me.

wahine

Practically Family
Yes, I'm lucky but maybe not as much as you think, since what I inherited is mostly 70s or even later. The few things I have that are older are lucky finds from the internet or thrift stores. The oldest piece I own, a dress which is most likely from the (early?) fourties, was given to me from a total stranger who happened to be a friend of a friend's mother. Life's paths...;)
That dress is very cute but only wearable when I'm in a Hey-everybody-look-at-me!-mood since it's bright red with white polka dots.

The vast majority of my wardrobe really is modern stuff with a vintage look to it. A plain circle skirt dress looks vintage to me when I combine it with a classic cardi in a contrasting color, and let's say, a cute little doggie pin. Add hairstyle and classy shoes and you got what is my personal vintage inspired look. Of course I'd prefer the real stuff, but it's just so hard to get, esp. when money does matter.

I rather compromise than completely refrain from vintage. Maybe I'm even the only one who considers this vintage inspired but I like it nonetheless. :)

(before the wind got me, my hair was neatly styled :D)

renaissancemedici

One of the Regulars
Lovely style and it suits you very well. Not all girls can wear that look and still look youthful and fresh! I love the 40s look!

I think vintage inspired is my thing as well. The 1950s look that I am going for is so classic anyway, that it's almost timeless. So, that's convenient :)

Is the dirndl considered vintage in germany?

wahine

Practically Family
Thank you for your sweet compliment! :)

I don't think the dirndl is considered vintage, it's considered Bavarian. Meaning, when you wear it outside the region where it has it's home (southern Germany, e.g. Bavaria), people might think you're going to a costume party. It's really a very traditional dress and very rarely seen outside Southern Germany or Austria...

TimeWarpWife

One of the Regulars
Because I'm a "very" plus size girl, it's impossible for me to find vintage clothes in my size. So, I'm also a vintage-inspired dresser. Many of my accessories are actual vintage like handbags, sweater clips, brooches, scarves, etc. I'll pair a new sweater set with pearls or a vintage sweater clip or capris and a button-down blouse with Keds sneakers. The summer before last I had an almost exact outfit like one that Doris Day wore in the movie It Happened to Jane but it was all new vintage-inspired clothes - a red and white checked blouse with a white tank top underneath, denim capris, and navy Keds. Even if I lost weight, I seriously doubt I'd ever fit into the 1940s or 50s vintage clothes because the ones I've seen are so small like sizes 4 and 6. :eek: And because I'm a curvy girl there's no way on earth I'd ever look right in 1920s or 30s vintage clothes. I don't get hung up on dressing in a particular era, I try to go with what looks good on me and I love and feel comfortable in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner