Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I lost my hat to the summer wind....

klind65

One of the Regulars
Gone with the wind, folks! The other day, I had a memorable hat experience. I was on a train platform outside when a gust of wind lifted my hat and carried it away.....right onto the tracks! The train came and ran over it. I was catatonic as it was one of my favorites.

As the train doors opened, there happened to be two gentlemen employed by the railroad whom I addressed and to whom I explained my situation. They waited with me and after the train left, climbed down onto the tracks (dangerous) and retrieved it for me. Amazingly, the hat was still in perfect condition! What a couple of angels! I offered to remunerate them for their help but they refused. I've since baptised this hat with the soubriquet," the hat of nine lives".

I had another hat which chose to take a powder into a four lane thoroughfare during rush hour! :eek: I thought this time, for sure, it was a goner (not the same hat)... yet! I ventured out into the street to retrieve it and.... it was fine. It was winter white in color but didn't even get soiled - go figure!

What tales have you of how your hats have left you or of remarkable saves??

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
I don't have any stories of remarkable saves, myself. Though I am very relieved you got back your hat in perfect shape! That's pretty remarkable. Glad the railroad employees were able to help.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
A year and a half ago it was windy and I had a Tilley hat on. Being stupid I though I wouldn't need the chin strap (I didn't like the look of it). It blew into a neighbour's garden and it happened to be the part which is just a gigantic patch of thorn bushes (about 10m by 20m). I went to my neighbour and explained the problem and he was very friendly giving me permission to search his thorn bushes and lending me an old jacket so I didn't scratch mine. Eventually after a lot of fighting through thorns I found my hat, hung off a branch without a hole or even a scratch in it. In fact I quite honestly wouldn't have known the difference. Just a shame that my head is now too big for that Tilley.

Mike K.

One Too Many
My trusty Akubra Riverina was recently caught in a searing hot gust of summer Florida wind. Away it went and I thought that I had lost a good friend. Much to my surprise, it came blowing back moments later with an icy cold beer. I was exceptionally grateful. What a friend! What a hat! ;)

Foofoogal

Banned
a four lane thoroughfare during rush hour! I thought this time, for sure, it was a goner (not the same hat)... yet! I ventured out into the street to retrieve it

ok, seriously. Nothing is worth that. At all.

Mike K. (that made me laugh. ) lol

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Mike K. said:
My trusty Akubra Riverina was recently caught in a searing hot gust of summer Florida wind. Away it went and I thought that I had lost a good friend. Much to my surprise, it came blowing back moments later with an icy cold beer. I was exceptionally grateful. What a friend! What a hat! ;)

We put a bit of boomerang in every Akubra.

Vanessa

One Too Many
"And guess who sighs his lullabies - through nights that never end
My fickle friend, the summer wind"

Sorry, right, no singing in the OB. Carry on.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Crossing the Brooklyn bridge. Winter. One of those NY blizards. Off it went, my dear grey Borsalino. Yes, into the water for ever:(

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I can't count how many times I've had my hat blow overboard while I was trolling offshore. Of course, when it happens, I have to reel the lines in and get the boat turned around. Meanwhile the hat floats happily around on the surface of the ocean...looking like a jellyfish. By the time I'm able to gaff the hat back aboard, it's usually pretty well soaked. But when its ninety-five degrees, a dripping, wet hat can actually feel pretty good. I'll just plop it back on my head and reset the lines.

AF

klind65

One of the Regulars
Feraud said:
I had an Akubra blow off into the chaotic four lane traffic of 21st Street in Long Island City. The hat survived just fine.
Please pardon my ignorance, folks, but I am not familiar with the much esteemed Akubra style hat. Anyone care to share a photo? :)

klind65

One of the Regulars
avedwards said:
A year and a half ago it was windy and I had a Tilley hat on. Being stupid I though I wouldn't need the chin strap (I didn't like the look of it). It blew into a neighbour's garden and it happened to be the part which is just a gigantic patch of thorn bushes (about 10m by 20m). I went to my neighbour and explained the problem and he was very friendly giving me permission to search his thorn bushes and lending me an old jacket so I didn't scratch mine. Eventually after a lot of fighting through thorns I found my hat, hung off a branch without a hole or even a scratch in it. In fact I quite honestly wouldn't have known the difference. Just a shame that my head is now too big for that Tilley.
Braving the thorns for one's hat - now that's devotion! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Mike K.

One Too Many
klind65 said:
Please pardon my ignorance, folks, but I am not familiar with the much esteemed Akubra style hat. Anyone care to share a photo? :)
Akubra is a brand. There are a lot of styles produced by this company. Just try a Google image search for a few.

klind65

One of the Regulars
Mike K. said:
....Gentlemen, this may sound like a silly question, but I assume your hats don't have any securing fasteners at all? Ladies hats, I know, can have elastic bands or hair combs or of course, hat pins....but I wonder if nothing was ever put in a man's hat?? :eusa_doh:

Feraud

Bartender
klind65 said:
Akubra makes a tough as nails hat. Here is a pic of one similar to mine.
fedivreg.jpg

My Federation (the particular style) was run over multiple times by cars and came through with no wear.

klind65

One of the Regulars
Feraud said:
Akubra makes a tough as nails hat. Here is a pic of one similar to mine.
fedivreg.jpg

My Federation (the particular style) was run over multiple times by cars and came through with no wear.
A hardy hat to be sure - and attractive. Thanks for the photo! :)

High Pockets

Practically Family
The only hat I ever ruined was destroyed under my own two feet!

Thirty years ago at a local "jack-pot" rodeo, I completed my ride and made a perfect two-point crowd pleasing dismount!:eusa_clap

...with not one, but BOTH feet squarely in the middle of a really nice black Stetson!! :eusa_doh:

Flat hats can be fixed, but hats with big holes made by spurs cannot.

:) I continued, however, to wear it with pride for several more years.

Feraud

Bartender
klind65 said:
....Gentlemen, this may sound like a silly question, but I assume your hats don't have any securing fasteners at all? Ladies hats, I know, can have elastic bands or hair combs or of course, hat pins....but I wonder if nothing was ever put in a man's hat?? :eusa_doh:
Good question.
Some men's fedoras have wind trollies. This is a button and cord setup where the button is secured on a lapel. The cord stays attached to the fedora and should keep the hat from straying too far from your head.

See this hat for an example. When not in use the wind trolley is wrapped around the crown. You can see the button against the bow.
1243526365.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran