Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I need a new Iron! HELP!

GWD

One Too Many
My iron just quit on me and I need a new one. I figure this is probably the best place for advice.

I've been leaning toward Rowenta. My last iron was a Shark.

What do you use and do you like it?

Thanks,

Gary

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
We have a Rowenta now, with the stainless sole plate. It works wonderfully, but the sole gets a little funky looking from starching my white dress shirts.
I also had one in the past with a T-Fal coated sole, I don't recall the maker, but it was fantastic! One of the cats decided he didn't like it tho....boom to the floor!:rage:
Get that iron bud! I hate to see your style suffer due to creases and wrinkles!
:D

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
My Rowenta died, and I replaced it with a Shark, which is a $50 water spitting piece of garbage. The company ignored my complaints as well.

Rowenta.

obiwan

Familiar Face
Had a fancy Oreck that came with the vacuum cleaner, it spit water all over the place every time you lifted it.

I just purchased a Rowenta from Costco and to date, very happy with it.

JohnnyGringo

A-List Customer
Rowenta

Why mess with the rest when you, too, can have the best? Another vote for ROWENTA, hands down the best iron I've ever owned.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
How about an Oliso.

autolift.jpg

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I LOVE my Rowenta. It does shots of steam as well as regular steam ironing, heats quickly, produces tons of steam and has a retractable cord. Worth every cent.

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
Will the Rowenta survive a drop to the floor? Our iron takes a fall about once a week. Recently, our brand new Sunbeam smashed to smithereens on its first fall.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Wolfmanjack said:
Will the Rowenta survive a drop to the floor? Our iron takes a fall about once a week. Recently, our brand new Sunbeam smashed to smithereens on its first fall.

If you can't have an iron without dropping it on the floor, I would highly suggest not buying an expensive one and making due with something cheap. Irons are just not meant to be dropped.

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Wolfmanjack said:

Or get a softer floor friend! sheesh! lol

roots66

One of the Regulars
Wolfmanjack said:

My Rowenta has fallen off my board twice, and though a small plastic corner piece near the bottom did break off on the first fall, it didn't affect the funtionality at all. My floor is carpeted, though.

Miss Crisplock

A-List Customer
After having and lost a Rowenta (moving-'nuf' said) I broke down and got the big Rowenta iron / steamer.

:eusa_clap lovely.

Now I want their ironing board. I am however thinking of getting an old dry iron for sewing.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Go Vintage!

I use an American Beauty iron. I don't have pix of mine, but there
are plenty on the web:

americanbeauty.jpg

am_iron.jpe

iron-Ambeauty.jpg

The trick with vintage irons is to get one that does not steam.
The steam will lead to oxidization. Use a spray bottle (and distilled water).

Last time I visited the Smithsonian, they had a red handle American
Beauty iron on display.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24