Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I purchased my first hat at Byrnie Utz!

BuddyJ

One of the Regulars
I'm on a trip to Seattle this week, so yesterday I went downtown to Byrnie Utz to get a proper hat. It was nice to go to a store with a friendly, knowledgeable staff who would let you try on anything and everything. According to my measurements with a tape, I'm a 7 1/2, but when I first tried on a 7 1/2, it didn't feel right. I mentioned this to the sales associate who quickly deduced that my head needs a Long Oval hat (she then added that they rarely make them that way these days).

I settled on a dark green/brown Royal Stetson. It's either a Saxon or a Nobel. I'm not sure which and I don't have a tape to measure the brim correctly.

I wore the hat all day as I wandered from downtown to the Uwajimaya grocery, and then back up to Pike Place Market and Seattle's awesome downtown shops. The benefit of wearing a hat is apparent. Panhandlers left me alone, and my pasty white skin isn't sunburnt from the rare Seattle sun. I'm quite happy with my purchase.

//edit// Photos from my MacBook's camera. Not great, but they'll do for now.

Photo3.jpg

Photo5.jpg

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
Congrats on your purchase! And from such a fine shop too! I got one of my favorite Milans from Bernie, oh, almost ten years ago now! It's nice to visit such hatters when the chance arises.

Give my regards to Seattle!

Jerekson

One Too Many
Congrats.

Royal Stetson...is this a new production model, or a vintage find?

Either way, I'm glad you enjoyed your hat-

Jerekson

BuddyJ

One of the Regulars
It's a newer model, because the band is black leather. That is how you tell partially isn't it? The sales gal said it is an older hat, so maybe a discontinued color? I honestly don't know how new it is, just that it's not the latest and greatest.

Jerekson

One Too Many
Trust me - with Stetson, the term "latest and greatest" has no meaning. lol The new Stetsons are often very, very cheap. Essentially, the older the better.

Judging by your photographs, I'd say you have an older, better quality hat.

Overall it looks like you made a very nice buy. I'd say your hat is definitley not one of the new production ones, but one of the older, better quality ones.

I could be mistaken of course.

The hat looks good on you-

J

ferryengr

One of the Regulars
Nice hat. I've only recently begun to cultivate a taste in hats after a visit to and acquistion from Lock & Co in the Mayfair district of London a few months ago. I actually live in Seattle and I've not heard of Byrnie Utz. What can you tell me about the place/person?

rongoms

Familiar Face
Bernie's is at on Union, between 3rd and 4th ave. (downtown). It does NOT say Bernie Utz on the front, is says STETSON and BORSOLINO above the door. (It's on the north side of Union)

Now, about the shop.

Don't make the assumption that the Kids working in there don't know anything since they're 20 years younger than yuou. (OK, than ME).
They're very knowledgable, in spite of outward appearances.

Prices are in line with elsewhere (not that there IS an elsewhere in seattle, of course). free shaping, and brushing for life too!

The biggest problems with Bernie's?

I can't leave the store without a new hat. I've got three new Baileys and a lovely straw in my last four trips.

Go see them.....you'll not regret it.

Davidson

One of the Regulars
Excellent work! Nice hat on its own, but what I really like is your color and shape choice. It suits you very well, and that's the most important thing.

Chanfan

A-List Customer
It's where I picked up my (one and only, so far) hat. They were also quite good about letting me try on anything I wanted.

moustache

Practically Family
Bernie's is a wonderful store.I came out of there with a Borsalino cap last year.The store can be hard to find if you don't know the Seattle dowtown area.But it is well worth the time.

That walk to Uwajimaya sounds nice,Buddy.I like going there whenever i'm up in the Puget Sound area.We have an Uwajimaya down in Beaverton,Or now thats a bit bigger than the Seattle store.Now i don't have to drive to Seattle as often :p

Nice hat BTW.Looks like a winner!!

JD
Vancouver,Wa

BuddyJ

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the compliments, all! The store is located at 310 Union St. downtown and is quite easy to get to. There is a public parking garage directly across the street on the south side, so you don't have to tote the hat box around should you wish to explore downtown as I did.

Rongoms is correct about the staff. If you tell them what you're looking for, they can find it quickly. They know their inventory inside and out. My hat was tucked away on the lower shelves of the store's glass cases, behind a stack of hat boxes. I'd have never found it by myself, but the sales girl knew right where to look when I mentioned I might be interested in a green/brown hat. The place is a "must see" stop in Seattle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24