Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I Really Like This Jacket

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
I'm just getting over a pain in the neck away from ordering a Long Half Belt from Johnson's, so obviously I've been thinking along those lines when I came across this pic. I'd file it under "too much of a good thing" in that I think it would have to be so long to justify the belt that it would just be too heavy. Also, it's too much jacket for me, almost a Biff Baxter costume. I don't mind being stylish, but I like to keep it mildly understated. I could never see wearing this coat to a public space where there are homeless people, etc. I'm not ashamed of still working and having money; but I don't like to rub people's noses in it either. That said, I really think it would be great to wear sometimes, like when riding to my high school class's 50'th reunion, God willing (in a Ruby helmet, of course).

633486993_o.jpg

Last edited:

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
A fair number of vintage long half belts were originally fully belted, with button on belts. If you like the look, but don't think you want it all the time, you might want to go for that that option.

On jackets like this, there would have been a button at either end of the attached back half-belt. The two belt quarters from the front would have buttonholes on the end, allowing them them to be attached or detached as you so choose.

An example, missing the belts:
535802_10150707340450909_243026719_n.jpg

Last edited:

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
Very interesting.. I love the button idea. THIS BOARD IS GREAT!!!

But presumably you still have the side belts. Wouldn't they interfere? I saw a jacket where there were two adjustment belts on each side. They could go above and below a little; but functionality has to come first, so I'd want to know how it would all work together.

Last edited:

IXL

One Too Many
Having no experience with this style, it has always looked to me like the buttons would get ripped from the jacket because of the belt putting stress on them while cinched, after awhile.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I really like the jacket, but it could, as you say, look a little 'costumey'. Having said that, with the right devil-may-care attitude, I'm sure you could pull it off. I once risked walking through Glasgow city centre on a Saturday night wearing a US Marine's dress tunic, full brass buttons and red piping, and got nothing but compliments, so I think your idea is not too OTT. :D

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
The example you show has a button on belt, though it is does not have a belted back. IXL, If the buttons are properly attached, with backing buttons, there's no reason the buttons should pull out any more readily than any other jacket or coat with a button on it.

I've never seen this design combined with cinch belts, since the two things are redundant. The only thing I could see being a problem were you to chose to do both would be rubbing of the metal hardware of the cinch belts and the half belt. I suppose you could do a double belt setup, over and under, like you see on some vintage German leather jackets to avoid that problem, but with all the other details, I would think that would be too busy without performing any real useful function.

IXL

One Too Many
The example you show has a button on belt, though it is does not have a belted back. IXL, If the buttons are properly attached, with backing buttons, there's no reason the buttons should pull out any more readily than any other jacket or coat with a button on it.

I've never seen this design combined with cinch belts, since the two things are redundant. The only thing I could see being a problem were you to chose to do both would be rubbing of the metal hardware of the cinch belts and the half belt. I suppose you could do a double belt setup, over and under, like you see on some vintage German leather jackets to avoid that problem, but with all the other details, I would think that would be too busy without performing any real useful function.

Thanks, Dinerman, my wife informed me of the very same thing just after I posted.

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
Thanks for the pix IXL. I like the way the back belt isn't at all faux. I'll show this pic to Alan and see if we can do the side belts with a more organic nature. The back portion of the side belt will be part of the "half belt" in back. Me likee (I theenk). BTW, a lot of that Real McCoy stuff is primo.

Last edited:

oneterrifichog

Practically Family
I'm just getting over a pain in the neck away from ordering a Long Half Belt from Johnson's, so obviously I've been thinking along those lines when I came across this pic. I'd file it under "too much of a good thing" in that I think it would have to be so long to justify the belt that it would just be too heavy. Also, it's too much jacket for me, almost a Biff Baxter costume. I don't mind being stylish, but I like to keep it mildly understated. I could never see wearing this coat to a public space where there are homeless people, etc. I'm not ashamed of still working and having money; but I don't like to rub people's noses in it either. That said, I really think it would be great to wear sometimes, like when riding to my high school class's 50'th reunion, God willing (in a Ruby helmet, of course).

633486993_o.jpg

My wife and I bought a pair of Ruby's when we went to France in 2009 at the Bastille Harley Davidson Dealer (they sent them back for us)and they are the best helmets we have ever owned. The leather interior is so comfortable and we can ride for hours without having to stop and take "the bloody helmet off because it's killing me".

These helmets are expensive but after several years wearing it I can honestly say it was worth every penny.

136.jpg

IXL

One Too Many
Thanks for the pix IXL. I like the way the back belt isn't at all faux. I'll show this pic to Alan and see if we can do the side belts with a more organic nature. The back portion of the side belt will be part of the "half belt" in back. Me likee (I theenk). BTW, a lot of that Real McCoy stuff is primo.

I do believe it was Dinerman who posted the images. I was commenting on his post.

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
My pleasure. I really like this style of jacket, but also share some of your trepidations. Melville was the man.

Hercules made some pretty good jackets in this style.

http://sixpacjoe.ocnk.net/product/2060

http://snugsnug.exblog.jp/tags/レザーカーコート/

Wow! This picture is a revelation. The weird thing is the belt looks a little high to me, but the attachment is fantastic! The sound you're hearing is my brains falling out! Still, I don't see myself getting anything longer than the 26" (or coming down a little less than my sleeves). I do plan on trying to use that real half belt like on the Real McCoy combined with something hopefully sewn on, but more righteous than those usual little dinky side-belts. I'm thinking a similar belt coming from the front panels with some re-inforcing but also decorative stitchery. It may be a problem because I think Alan only uses D-rings on the sides, not buckles, which may be needed with heavier straps. Of course, there's always buttons. :D

back.jpg

notfauxhalfbelt.jpg

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up

633486993_o.jpg

To me that simply looks like an old jacket you might have got at a thrift shop or off ebay. I like the look but in no way do I see it as overstated.

tonypaj

Practically Family
I don't think that it is tame. I don't think that it is overstated, either. These old, and newer, leather jackets are all about what you wear with them. Unless of course you go way over the top like with the more than somewhat weird Japanese designs shown here recently. But, as with suits, as with all the clothing, the combination (sure the fit comes first) is more important than any individual part...

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Just looking at it now, though, is it just me or does the left sleeve not look as if it's been replaced? Or is that just an ageing thing?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters