Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I remember when.....

juup

New in Town
I'll have her look. I know that the first 15 I opened were all Schaeffer or Parker faux Tortoise shell. The only one that i'm partial to and still use is the German set my Gramma Truedl gave me. It supposedly has a bit of history but i've never been able to confirm it. Even If I was able to, I think knowing for certain would ruin the pen for me

I remember when an album was worth buying and most of my favorite artists I bought without having heard it.
Same goes for the joy of shopping or just browsing the same record stores.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
* Smelling kerosene in the air and knowing that meant fall was here.

* Rubbing "Scuffy" on my shoes to cover up the scuffs and stains.

* Setting the clock to the time-signal beep on the radio.

* Trying to figure out by what they meant by putting "You Like It -- It Likes You" on 7-Up bottles.

* Pre-made ice cream cones where the ice cream was flat and had wax paper across the top.

* Seeing a Crosley on the street and thinking the circus must be in town.

* Being jealous when somebody else got an Indian head penny in change.

* Making igloos using snow bricks cast with a loaf pan.

* Mustard jars with a pump mechanism mounted in the lid.

* Ned Martin and "It's pandemonium on the field!"

* Hearing public service announcments warning that all aliens had to register with the government.

* Knowing people who called every record player "the Victrola" because that's the only term they ever knew.

* Eating macaroni and cheese loaf sandwiches for lunch and not having to explain what they were.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I work with a guy that has a collection of Crosley's.
Yeah, they look like clown cars, even the fully functional fire truck.
It of course it made for putting out "little fires."
Sorry. :D

LizzieMaine

Bartender
*I remember when nobody was allergic to peanut butter.

*I remember when you got one new pair of shoes a year, and you wore them to school every day. Your old shoes from last year were the ones you changed into after school, and your new shoes this year would be next year's old shoes.

*I remember when nobody thought there was anything ridiculous about Jell-O.

*I remember when the two immutable aspects of your personal identity were the church your family attended and the baseball team your family rooted for.

*I remember when you couldn't rock back and forth in your school seat because it was bolted to the floor.

*I remember when coins were designed by sculptors, not committees.

*I remember when it was bad form to pick up the phone on the first ring, because it made people think you were anxious.

*I remember when everybody said "en-velope," not "on-velope."

*I remember when you couldn't buy white eggs in any local store, at any price, and wouldn't have particularly wanted to even if you could.

*I remember kids lining up for jobs raking blueberries, and being carried to these jobs in the back of an old Army truck.

*I remember when the rich people used Mercurochrome, and the regular people used plain iodine.

*I remember being issued a one-piece blue romper suit for gym class, with a seam placed in such a way that it was impossible to do sit-ups.

*I remember the afternoon mail.

Nobody believes me when I tell them that from kindergarten to part of second grade we had these desks in our classroom. :p

Old-School-House-Classroom.jpg

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Nobody believes me when I tell them that from kindergarten to part of second grade we had these desks in our classroom. :p

Yep, we had the same ones. The floors were all splintery around the bolts where kids had tried to rock the desks loose. And we had a 48-star flag that had been hanging in the sun so long the canton had turned purple.

My sister and little brother went to that same school, but they updated the furnishings sometime in the '70s. But the same flag was still there right up to the day the fire department burned the building down for practice.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I believe you, because my school had the same style desks but with a top that flipped opened for storing books, school supplies and such. Then in fourth or fifth grade we went modular , which was quite a shock and of course led to anarchy. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy