Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I require assistance in choosing a Fedora.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Ok, assuming I like how a certain hat looks in both colors, is brown or gray easier to match?

BORSALINO-GAZELL-BRN.jpg

BORSALINO-GAZELLA-GRAY.jpg

My overcoat is black. I have black pants and gray pants. I have brown shoes and black shoes. My gloves are black. I own shirts in gray, black, white but I don't own any brown shirts.

There is NO universal color that works with everything. Get to a store, BUY a hat and WEAR it , hell buy TWO hats, one each color, WEAR 'em for 30 days, THEN come back with questions ( and pics :) ) Go buy a hat :)

Onward thru the Fog :)

GamaH

A-List Customer
I think gray goes with more colors.

Bottom line, get the hat you imagine yourself wearing more.

Well I'm at the point where I'm so new to it, hence I'm not sure which I'll actually wear more. I like how both look, and I can't really decide; both are classic colors, otherwise if one was hideous or a really unorthodox color, it would be an easy decision. The reason why I'm hesitant to get both is because I'm already getting a black one (different hat), so I'm going to end up with 3.

Also, is age a factor? E.g.; A gray hat might suit a 30 year old businessman better while the brown hat might suit a 20year old college student, even if they both dressed similarly?

Last edited:

carldelo

One Too Many
.. A gray hat might suit a 30 year old businessman better while the brown hat might suit a 20year old college student, even if they both dressed similarly?

This is becoming ridiculous - you are apparently in the throws of a brain-freeze caused by relentless over-analysis. Enough already.

PS - I see that this sounds fairly prickly - what can I say, the Jets just tanked so I'm feeling cranky...

Last edited:

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Well I'm at the point where I'm so new to it, hence I'm not sure which I'll actually wear more. I like how both look, and I can't really decide; both are classic colors, otherwise if one was hideous or a really unorthodox color, it would be an easy decision. The reason why I'm hesitant to get both is because I'm already getting a black one (different hat), so I'm going to end up with 3.

Also, is age a factor? E.g.; A gray hat might suit a 30 year old businessman better while the brown hat might suit a 20year old college student, even if they both dressed similarly?

Dig in your pockets, pay for 'em and walk out the door and wear 'em for 30 days, THEN come back and ask more questions. Youv'e been given LOTS of answers to LOTS of questions and now YOU need to BUY a hat(s) and get some experience. If you decide you made a wrong decision, chalk it up to life and get on with it :) We ALL make these at times. If you want ALL your questions answered BEFORE you get a hat, DON"T GET A HAT. Part of it all is the learning curve you go thru in REAL TIME :) GO BUY A HAT(s) and get back with us later :)

Onward thru the FOG :)

GamaH

A-List Customer
Go for it :) We ALL do :) Enjoy 'em and pay attention as you do and a LOT of questions you have had will sort of answer themselves. Looking forward to seeing what you buy :)

There'll be a slight wait though, I'm still overseas. I will upload pictures as soon as I do purchase one.

EggHead

Practically Family
Buy 3 different color berets - they cost about $18 each, wear them and see what color fits. I have a dark grey overcoat and wear a black fedora or dark brown outback with it. Both colors match.

GamaH

A-List Customer
In *general* though, which clothing item should you match your hat to? Gloves? Shoes? Pants?

The same way you wouldn't wear certain garments of clothing together to avoid clashing. I have to ask this because I don't always wear monotone. The other day when I tried on the hats at the boutique was an exception (I was garbed in black from head to toe).

Last edited:

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
The same way you wouldn't wear certain garments of clothing together to avoid clashing. I have to ask this because I don't always wear monotone. The other day when I tried on the hats at the boutique was an exception (I was garbed in black from head to toe).

You answered your own question. Seriously, if you are a student, go to the library, and you will find a plethora of BOOKS that will give you ANSWERS to ALL your questions :)

Onward thru the Fog :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran