Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I require assistance in choosing a Fedora.

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
cant go wrong with trying hats on in a store...even if it means at a dept store and trying on wool fedoras that you have no interest in buying. Doing so will give you a better idea of what dimensions work for you or don't.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
The thing about Stetson is that it uses this felt grade thing, what grade is the Ashland? Cause I saw (on a thread here) that people were saying that Royal Grade hats were basically lower quality and visibly so.

Stetson's range of felts on their modern hats is much smaller than what exists in the vintage world. Most all their dress hats are Sovereign quality. Assuming you get one which is not powder dyed (which itself seems to becoming more rare) you shouldn't have problems with it.

GamaH

A-List Customer
cant go wrong with trying hats on in a store...even if it means at a dept store and trying on wool fedoras that you have no interest in buying. Doing so will give you a better idea of what dimensions work for you or don't.

That is an excellent suggestion.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Well the problem with that is that I'm new to hats, so while finding one of quality is always a factor, I'm still getting the hang of how things look on me. Basically, a hat could be a real steal, and really well made but it might not suit me at all (e.g.; brim is too wide, or the color doesn't go well with my wardrobe).

GamaH,
You first posted your question about 2 days ago and have gotten a lot of GREAT advice here:) Unfortunatly there is no ONE answer to all your questions :) Your best bet would be 1). set a PRICE you CAN pay, then 2). go to a STORE and TRY ON as many styles and colors and finishes you can, then within the PRICE range YOU set ( stick to it:) )BUY A HAT, put it ON YOUR HEAD and walk out of the store :) 3).WEAR it for 30 days before you make ANY decision about it and then add more hats or not. Until you put a hat on your head and wear it for a period of time, ALL these answers are moot. Hat knowledge comes from WEARING one, NOT answers on the web :) Go buy a hat and put that puppy on your head and ENJOY :)

Onward thru the Fog :)

GamaH

A-List Customer
I don't really have a price range. I mean naturally as a newcomer to Fedoras, I'm not looking to spend like a madman, but if I could get a quality hat for 300 rather than an "entry level" hat for 100, I would go for the 300 one. But I'm as I said, i'm not looking for the BEST, because I probably won't be able to even tell the felt quality apart.

What I mean by this is that if I were to create a hat quality scale on 1-10,

I wouldn't pay 1000 bucks for a 10/10 when a 8.5/10 costs only 300. But I woulld rather pay that 300 for that 8.5 than 100 for a 5/10.

So in a way, I don't have a budget limit, but I definitely don't need a 100% beaver one.

Last edited:

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Well, you can find a nice hat at the $100-$200 level without going custom. Akubra is one of them. They're tough and come in a wide variety of styles.

The advantage of having a custom made hat is that it's sized exactly to your head, and made to accommodate whatever you want.

carldelo

One Too Many
The thing about Stetson is that it uses this felt grade thing, what grade is the Ashland? Cause I saw (on a thread here) that people were saying that Royal Grade hats were basically lower quality and visibly so.

There are basically two main qualities with Stetson fur felt - Royal and Sovereign. The Ashland is Royal, whcih is good felt, somewhat nicer than standard Akubra felt, in my opinion (as found in the Stylemaster, for example). Sovereign is a step up in softness and malleability. Even softer is Sovereign with a silk finish - this is sort of a long hair type finish, and the felt is denser and a bit fuzzy. There aren't many silk finish hats available. I have all three, and like them all - there's nothing wrong with Royal grade. Bencraft has all three, and you could see and feel the difference in person.

By the way, I was in Brooks Brothers today (the one on Madison around 44th), and they had an assortment of Stetsons on sale, including at least one silk finish model. Orvis, nearby on Fifth Avenue, has an assortment of overpriced Christy's for comparison.

PS I've neglected to mention any of the fur-cashmere blends and wool felts offered by Stetson, which I personally would not consider buying.

Last edited:

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I don't really have a price range. I mean naturally as a newcomer to Fedoras, I'm not looking to spend like a madman, but if I could get a quality hat for 300 rather than an "entry level" hat for 100, I would go for the 300 one. But I'm as I said, i'm not looking for the BEST, because I probably won't be able to even tell the felt quality apart.

What I mean by this is that if I were to create a hat quality scale on 1-10,

I wouldn't pay 1000 bucks for a 10/10 when a 8.5/10 costs only 300. But I woulld rather pay that 300 for that 8.5 than 100 for a 5/10.

So in a way, I don't have a budget limit, but I definitely don't need a 100% beaver one.

I understand, but YOU need to set a $ limit, STICK with it, see what's available within that limit, go to a STORE, TRY ON hats in that $ range, MAKE A DECISION, BUY it, put it on your head and go out the door and WEAR it for a month, THEN re-assess where your at :) You can ask questions till you are blue in the face, we can answer the same, but untill YOU reach in your pocket and BUY A HAT, all of this is MOOT :) Go buy a hat and ENJOY it and stop worrying yourself to death about this :)

Onward thru the Fog:)

T Rick

Practically Family
I understand, but YOU need to set a $ limit, STICK with it, see what's available within that limit, go to a STORE, TRY ON hats in that $ range, MAKE A DECISION, BUY it, put it on your head and go out the door and WEAR it for a month, THEN re-assess where your at :) You can ask questions till you are blue in the face, we can answer the same, but untill YOU reach in your pocket and BUY A HAT, all of this is MOOT :) Go buy a hat and ENJOY it and stop worrying yourself to death about this :)

Onward thru the Fog:)
+1. There IS no "perfect" hat. Try one. If it's not quite right, try another. You'll find what works for you, but only by trying. Go somewhere (where you speak the language!) and try on a bunch. Hat store, dept. store, whatever. Go forth, and try on a bunch of hats! Pick one or two you like ON YOU and take them home (or order them online). And post up some pics when you get it/them.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
My facial structure is similar to Axl Rose (we have the exact same jawline). What would it be considered?

tumblr_l6ms50dyrD1qbk0pjo1_500.jpg

erin-everly-and-axl-rose-get-married1.jpg

do you plan on gaining weight?
1157.GUNS2.jpg

FP_4882861_Rose_Axl_CJNY_042210.jpg

GamaH

A-List Customer
+1. There IS no "perfect" hat. Try one. If it's not quite right, try another. You'll find what works for you, but only by trying. Go somewhere (where you speak the language!) and try on a bunch. Hat store, dept. store, whatever. Go forth, and try on a bunch of hats! Pick one or two you like ON YOU and take them home (or order them online). And post up some pics when you get it/them.

Sounds good. I'll do this as soon as I get back stateside.

Just order the Stetson 100X and be done with it!;)

Haha.

GamaH

A-List Customer
Ok, assuming I like how a certain hat looks in both colors, is brown or gray easier to match?

BORSALINO-GAZELL-BRN.jpg

BORSALINO-GAZELLA-GRAY.jpg

My overcoat is black. I have black pants and gray pants. I have brown shoes and black shoes. My gloves are black. I own shirts in gray, black, white but I don't own any brown shirts.

Last edited:

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I think gray goes with more colors.

Bottom line, get the hat you imagine yourself wearing more.

T Rick

Practically Family
Nah, brown. Next answer will be gray again. Or maybe grey. ;)

(Okay, just checked my collection. I have two gray, one brown, one blue and two tan. Plus one green. One black (with a hint of brown maybe?) stingy brim.

ETA: But I'm getting ready to buy another brown one...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran