Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I require assistance in choosing a Fedora.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Yeah, I suppose. Maybe I shouldn't think about it so much.

A slightly important question would be this. What is the average crown height and brim length (such that it is measured against, anything higher = high, anything longer = long, etc)?

Is a 4.25 inch crown considered high, medium or low? What about a 2.5inch brim?

If these are the FINISHED dimensions ie. crown is creased to that dim., I would call them about the norm for most Fedora styled hats. If the Open crown is that dimension, I'd say it was a short crown as it will loose hght. as it is creased.
Onward thru the Fog :)

GamaH

A-List Customer
Then what do they mean when they say a crown is 4.25 in the front but 4.75 bashed in the sides?

Such as when mentioned in this thread.

Last edited:

T Rick

Practically Family
Then what do they mean when they say a crown is 4.25 in the front but 4.75 bashed in the sides?

This is my Akubra Camp Draft as currently bashed (not "bashed in", "bash" is a slang for "creased" or "styled"- it is the shaping of the crown).

standard.jpg

Open Crown (fully domed, unshaped, as this hat comes, and as most hats used to come in pre WW2 days) it has a 5.5 inch crown, considered medium/high by most I think.

standard.jpg

I'll measure it as is in a few minutes. I think I went a little low with it in styling, have been considering redoing it higher.

Here is a shot showing how it looks on top.

standard.jpg

GamaH

A-List Customer
not "bashed in", "bash" is a slang for "creased" or "styled"- it is the shaping of the crown

Ah, my apologies; thank you for the correction.

On a separate note, is it possible to shorten a crown by having it bashed deeper or will that ruin the hat?

monbla256

Call Me a Cab

Most hatters here in te States would use the term crease for the shape of the crown. Bash is a term for it as used in Australia and Europe as I understand it as well as affected by many US memebers here. Those are the dimensions of a finished crease at various positions around the crown, measured from the brim up. The IMPORTANT dimension is the OPEN CROWN or UNCREASED dimension. This will give you a better idea as to how MUCH crown you have to use for the crease. Remember, a crown DIMINISHES in hght. as it is creased so the taller the Open Crown, the taller the finished creased crown has the possibility of being.

Onward thru the Fog:)

T Rick

Practically Family
Measurements on my Camp Draft shown above, the crown is 3 3/4 inches in the rear, 4 inches in the front, and 4 1/2 inches at the highest point on the sides. BTW, the brim is 2 7/8 inches on these, considered on the wider side for a Fedora I think.

GamaH

A-List Customer
The IMPORTANT dimension is the OPEN CROWN or UNCREASED dimension. This will give you a better idea as to how MUCH crown you have to use for the crease. Remember, a crown DIMINISHES in hght. as it is creased so the taller the Open Crown, the taller the finished creased crown has the possibility of being.

I see. So, would I be right in saying that the creased height of the crown can be 'customized' to the wearer's liking?

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I see. So, would I be right in saying that the creased height of the crown can be 'customized' to the wearer's liking?

YEP :) That's what getting a hat creased is all about :) But the Open Crown dimensions will influence just what size it can be creased to and still be wearable and look correct. :)

Onward thru the Fog:)

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Ah, my apologies; thank you for the correction.

On a separate note, is it possible to shorten a crown by having it bashed deeper or will that ruin the hat?

Ruin? No, you can certainly change the crease. However, how much height you take off depends on the type of crease. If you had a center dent (which is exactly how it sounds, one crease down the center), it's harder to "lose" height by pushing the crease down farther because it will eventually reach a point where it's touching your head and can't go down any further.

GamaH

A-List Customer
Awesome, I guess my worrying about a crown being 'too high' was rather unnecessary, since I suppose it should be someone looking for a high crown that would be concerned about it not being high enough.

Anyway, just to clear something up, in these two links (just random examples):

Borsalino Beaver Fedora
Borsalino Diamante Fedora

When it says 4" crown and 3 3/4" crown (respectively), are they referring to the uncreased height or creased as shown in the picture?

GamaH

A-List Customer
Ok so this probably varies from online vendor to vendor, but I figure no harm in asking here.

If the height of the crown isn't mentioned in the details, nor the creasing, but the 'display' picture shows the hat as pre-creased (such as the Borsalino Como), would it be safe to assume that it will come pre-creased?

PS: Is there a particular reason why JJHat's fedoras are pricier than most other online vendors (by a substantial amount too)?

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
The vast majority of hats these days come pre-creased...actually, more than that, most hats are blocked (shaped, during the manufacturing process) with the crease in them already. Unless it is specified the hat comes "open crown," (off the top of my head: Akubra Federation IV, Stetson Nostaliga, as two examples), it's creased.

JJ Hats? Can't say as I've never been, but if i had to guess I would say it's the difference between running a brick and mortar store in Manhattan as opposed to just having a warehouse space somewhere where you can store inventory.

GamaH

A-List Customer
Consider JJ Hat's store location and imagine the rent they have to pay to stay in business.

True, but then what keeps hat aficionados purchasing from them rather than online (especially since I would assume most veterans in this already know what they're looking for)?

carldelo

One Too Many
Feraud is right - at JJ you are paying for location, ambiance and customer service.

Re: hat sizes, I think most hats are made with about +/- 1/3 hat size tolerance. This is why trying on is important, two hats of the same size may fit differently.

If you are interested in a Borsalino, I recommend a trip to Bencraft in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. They are the biggest Borso retailer in the US, as I recall, and have much lower prices than JJ. Check out their site - you might consider the Anello, the Claudio or the Napoli, which have moderate 2" and 2-1/4" brim sizes. Note that they have hats in the shop that aren't on the website, and will try to put you in a hat that works. It helps to bring someone whose opinion you trust with you, this may prevent over-analysis.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
True, but then what keeps hat aficionados purchasing from them rather than online (especially since I would assume most veterans in this already know what they're looking for)?

People who don't know any better, people who like to try things on in person, people who don't mind paying a bit extra to support a brick and mortar store over an online retailer.

T Rick

Practically Family

A lot of people find value in dealing with an established local company and are willing and able to pay a premium for that. While internet sales certainly have hurt many types of businesses, there are some things that make going to one of these places and paying more worthwhile. It is up to the consumer, I personally plan to buy mostly online (like I do with lots of things) but still shop locally on occasion too. Same goes for watch shops, and other collectible type goods.

GamaH

A-List Customer
If you are interested in a Borsalino, I recommend a trip to Bencraft in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. They are the biggest Borso retailer in the US, as I recall, and have much lower prices than JJ. Check out their site - you might consider the Anello, the Claudio or the Napoli, which have moderate 2" and 2-1/4" brim sizes.

Haha, would you believe it, I was looking at their website this whole while (since the start of this thread). :p

I'll probably visit them when I get back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic