Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I require assistance in choosing a Fedora.

GamaH

A-List Customer
If you have the same relatively-tall head that he has as well, I'd suggest going for a tall-crown (5 1/2") with a medium or slightly small brim (2-2 1/2"). -M

Ok i'm not sure about proportions (I'm only 5'3, and I'm sure Axl is way taller than that) but my face, measured in the middle from the bottom of chin, to where my hair roots start is 8inches long. My forehead (also measured from the center) from where eyebrows would meet if I had a unibrow, is 2 1/2 inches. Normal? Short? High forehead?

jlee562

I'll Lock Up

I mean, let me put it this way, I do not have a hat which only looks good with one outfit.

I think the best advice given is to go to a hat shop and try on a bunch of hats. I'm about 5'7" but slim build. I find that 5 1/2" (open crown height) hats is just about the tallest I can go, my Akubra Fed 4 is a bit taller, and looks it from certain angles. For a creased hat, I find that 4 1/2" is just about right for someone my size.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Also, you said your height is about 5'3", right? Thats gonna be a factor. A hat that may look good on a guy who looks like you, but at 5"10", may look like too much on you.

Youre probably spitting distance from JJ Hats. GO THERE!!! :bolt:<hehehehe>

Last edited:

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ok I may have been in error in my opening post. I do own hats, but just not fedoras. I went to Texas awhile ago and went to a proper hat store and stuff to buy a Stetson as a souvenir. As such, I know my size (7 1/8). The only problem is that western hats are rather wide brimmed and do not flatter my height at all.

It has a 4inch brim and a 5inch crown.

Buying a Western hat for New York City may not allow you to fit in the way you imagine. You could easily go with a wide-brim men's dress hat, or a Stetson Open Road type hat, which is an urban/western mix. Ideally a vintage Stetson Open Road. Or a modern Campdraft from Akubra, which is about the same thing.

GamaH

A-List Customer
Buying a Western hat for New York City may not allow you to fit in the way you imagine. You could easily go with a wide-brim men's dress hat, or a Stetson Open Road type hat, which is an urban/western mix. Ideally a vintage Stetson Open Road. Or a modern Campdraft from Akubra, which is about the same thing.

Ah I apologize for the confusion. I'm not looking for a Western hat for NYC (or a western hat at all, for that matter). I was simply throwing out any bits and pieces of information that may be of use, such as the size of my western hat (7 1/8) and the fact that due to the wide brim, it looks way too much on me.

facade

A-List Customer
If you are looking for a fedora with a smaller brim, I recommend using Ebay. For the price of one new fedora from J&J Hat Center, you can get 3-7 vintage fedoras from Ebay. As long as you do a little research into vintage hat brands and which are better quality, all of the hats will be both cheaper and far better quality then new off the rack hats. The cost savings only applies to "stingy" brim fedoras. Decent wide-brimmed fedoras are harder to come by and more expensive on Ebay.

GamaH

A-List Customer
If you are looking for a fedora with a smaller brim, I recommend using Ebay. For the price of one new fedora from J&J Hat Center, you can get 3-7 vintage fedoras from Ebay. As long as you do a little research into vintage hat brands and which are better quality, all of the hats will be both cheaper and far better quality then new off the rack hats. The cost savings only applies to "stingy" brim fedoras. Decent wide-brimmed fedoras are harder to come by and more expensive on Ebay.

That's new to me. Why is that the case?

facade

A-List Customer
That's new to me. Why is that the case?

As a guess... when hats were last mainstream was the 60's and skinny fashion was in, so I suppose there are more stingys floating around then widebrims. Secondly the hatophiles mostly prefer the widebrims and they are the ones who drive up prices on vintage hats.

T Rick

Practically Family
No, no no! eBay is a VERY bad idea for him. Why? Because he wears a 7 1/8 (my size). :D.

Okay, the secret is out. And I think the reason the stingy brim (which I think he already said probably wasn't for him) is more a bargain right now is that they are both plentiful, and less sought after (though there are some nice ones, and we may curse the day we let so many go by so cheap!).

But eBay is a great place to buy, once you have a feel for what you are looking for, and if you are willing to shop and do the leg work (bargains happen frequently, in among the deals that are not bargains, you need to hunt them if that is the goal). Helps to know the ins and outs of eBay buying too of course.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Hi, i'm generally new to hats, since I spent a good deal of time in a climate where wearing a hat was not only unnecessary but also impractical. However, I am looking to change all this and here's where you guys come in.

I saw a few articles mentioning that when choosing a fedora, you should take into consideration what/where you will be wearing it to, your physique and the shape of your face.

I want something that is presentable when matched with a classic suit or tuxedo, and yet can be worn casually with just a shirt and slacks.

I should mention that I'm very small sized for a male (barely over 5'3), so I believe I should be looking at fedoras with a shorter brim. However, I am not sure what would constitute as short, since I have no idea what the average brim's size is to begin with! :p However, I cannot wear a fedora with too stingy a brim because I have massive ears that stick out visibly by an inch, so I need something in the middle that flatters a short and petit build, while simultaneously preventing my ears from looking too big. From what I've seen so far, 2inches seem to be an ideal length to me, but I always like to consider a good second opinion.

Another thing is that I'm still waiting for my 20th birthday, so wearing something 'too classic' (if that's even possible) may not be such a good idea. I don't mind dressing well, even if it means pushing my age up a bit; I just don't wish to look like a 19 year old trying to dress like a 40year old.

I spent a good deal of time debating whether I should go with a Borsalino or a Stetson, and I just decided to go with both. Regardless, I would greatly appreciate any advice or assistance you can provide on this matter.

My wardrobe consists mainly of formal and luxury shirts in solid colors of black, white, and gray. I have pants in black and gray. Brown fedoras do somewhat appeal to me, however I do realize that I have to take into consideration my skin color, eye color(??) and wardrobe too.

GamaH,
Youv'e gotten ALOT of GOOD advice over the past two days. The BEST was to GET TO A HAT STORE and TRY ON some hats. Wear what you want and realize that NO ONE HAT can satisfy ALL your PERCIEVED needs. Most of this stuff, size of brim/crown/hatband/color etc. are SUBJECTIVE perceptions and that is just FINE :) YOU are wearing the hat and it should satisfy YOUR perceptions, not what OTHERS think. 9/10ths of success is ATTITUDE and if YOU like it, it will probably work regardless what others think. :) Besides what does it matter what OTHERS think? I don't dress to impress or satisfy OTHERS impressions, but then I'm substantially older than you and have snapped to some FACTS of life :) Main thing, buy what YOU like at a brick & mortar store, wear it and get on with it :) You will make "mistakes", we all do, but without putting a hat on and wearing it, you can get all the advice in the world and still be standing in the same place you started from. Go buy a hat, put it on your head and "keep on truckin'" :)

Onward thru the Fog")

GamaH

A-List Customer
Ok so I went to a hat store today, and tried on a number to see what looked good and such.

I have a small problem though. A hat NOT supposed to move when you shake your head right? I'm not doing any death metal headbanging, just a decent "left right left right" in about 1 second and a 7 1/8 hat DOES shake a little. However, a 7 was really fitting. It wasn't tight, but it was really fitting. So I measured my head again, and it turns out that the size is 56 1/2 cm, or 22inches. So, it's exactly in between 7 and 7 1/8. What would you guys suggest? It's slightly bigger than a 7, and slightly smaller than a 7 1/8, and a 7 1/8 shakes when I turn fast or nod my head fast.

I took a few more measurements and it appears that if I were to get specific, in inches, my head is 21.95 - 22(depending on how high i wear the hat) and a second time I measured in centimeters, it was 56.4cm.

Last edited:

Feraud

Bartender
The hat should feel like it fits when you wear it. That means you shouldn't be wondering if it is too tight or loose.
You may be a long oval. There are more knowledgeable members here who can confirm this.
You could go with a 7 1/8 and stick a piece of foam behind the inner sweatband to take up some space.

GamaH

A-List Customer
The hat should feel like it fits when you wear it. That means you shouldn't be wondering if it is too tight or loose.
You may be a long oval. There are more knowledgeable members here who can confirm this.
You could go with a 7 1/8 and stick a piece of foam behind the inner sweatband to take up some space.

About the fit, I seem to be like in the middle a 7 and a 7 1/8, with maybe a really slight lean toward 7.

7 1/8 feels as though it will fall off if I'm on a galloping horse (though what I'm doing on a galloping horse wearing a fedora is another thing altogether).

Neophyte

If you can't find a hat that fits perfectly, and given a choice between slightly tight and slightly loose, go for the loose. Sweatbands shrink a bit with wear, heat, and moisture. Most of my Akubras fit loose to begin with, but have conformed perfectly to the shape of my head. That's saying something, as my head size is right between a 7 1/4 Long Oval and 7 3/8.

Did all the hats you tried on in the same size fit/feel the same? When you get one that fits right, you will know it. I am the same size as you - I need a full 7 and can wear a 7 1/8, but sometimes need a small sweatband pad if it's a full 7 1/8. Many vintage hat sweats have shrunk a bit, making a 7 1/8 a better fit generally when buying vintage. If a hat is a little full in size, wearing it with a gentle tug down in the back will make it fit more snugly. A downward snap of the brim in the front will adjust the look.

My rule of thumb with hats is the same as with shoes. If it feels so good that you'd consider wearing it to sleep, it fits well. If it fits well, you will wear it. If it doesn't, you won't.

hope that helps!

Feraud

Bartender
About the fit, I seem to be like in the middle a 7 and a 7 1/8, with maybe a really slight lean toward 7.

7 1/8 feels as though it will fall off if I'm on a galloping horse (though what I'm doing on a galloping horse wearing a fedora is another thing altogether).
You said the 7 was tight.
Did the 7 1/8 only feel loose on the sides? Meaning the front and back felt fine but with gaps in the sides? I think this means you are an oval size.

danofarlington

Ok so I went to a hat store today, and tried on a number to see what looked good and such.

I have a small problem though. A hat NOT supposed to move when you shake your head right? I'm not doing any death metal headbanging, just a decent "left right left right" in about 1 second and a 7 1/8 hat DOES shake a little. However, a 7 was really fitting. It wasn't tight, but it was really fitting. So I measured my head again, and it turns out that the size is 56 1/2 cm, or 22inches. So, it's exactly in between 7 and 7 1/8. What would you guys suggest? It's slightly bigger than a 7, and slightly smaller than a 7 1/8, and a 7 1/8 shakes when I turn fast or nod my head fast.

I took a few more measurements and it appears that if I were to get specific, in inches, my head is 21.95 - 22(depending on how high i wear the hat) and a second time I measured in centimeters, it was 56.4cm.

Go for bigger, you can adjust them down easier with foam tape than stretching a too-small hat to be larger. But either is possible and no big deal. If you buy the tight one though get it stretched, because a tight hat is really annoying. You're constantly conscious that it's on, and you shouldn't be.

GamaH

A-List Customer
You said the 7 was tight.
Did the 7 1/8 only feel loose on the sides? Meaning the front and back felt fine but with gaps in the sides? I think this means you are an oval size.

Actually the sides felt fine with a 7 1/8. Just that there was enough space for me to stick my pinky in, at the back.

As in, the sides are snug with a 7 1/8 (and cannot be pushed from left to right) but the front and back have space, and so if I were to grab my hat with both hands and try to push it back and forth, it will move. This is a 7 1/8.

Last edited:

Feraud

Bartender
Go for bigger, you can adjust them down easier with foam tape than stretching a too-small hat to be larger. But either is possible and no big deal. If you buy the tight one though get it stretched, because a tight hat is really annoying. You're constantly conscious that it's on, and you shouldn't be.
Aside from going custom I agree with this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic