Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I think I finally found one...but

crazylegsmurphy

One of the Regulars
So I went down to the vintage store today, and I got lucky and walked in about 20 minutes after a lady dropped this suit off.

suit_Vintage_01.jpg

suit_Vintage_02.jpg

The armholes are SMALL, the size is a 42 (my size) and this thing is fitted!

I'm pretty convinced this is the genuine article....but I do have some sizing issues.

First, the Jacket. Because I have gotten chubby, the jacket fits really tight in the waist area. If I move two of the buttons, then It should fit a little better, and I don't think that'll be too much of a problem.

Here is the big one. The pants. These are about a 34 waist. I am about a 36...and after opening the back seam, I have found that there is not enough material to make this a comfortable fit.

Now, I can get them done up, but there is no way I could realistically wear them that tight without looking like a moron. So here are my questions.

I am on a mission to drop 15-20 pounds anyway, so that may solve the problem, but if not, is there any way to salvage these pants? This suit did come with an identical pair of pants (two pairs) would it be possible to borrow fabric from the other pair?

Any ideas, comments, suggestions?

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Hey Crazy, now that IS a vintage suit- interesting fabric too- I like it.

Re: the pants- you could get a 'V' insert (like a gore)sewn in to get more room if it's just the waist area that's a problem and the rest of the trouser fit is OK- if you're wearing the whole suit, the back of the pants won't show.
You could probably scrounge up enough of the matching cloth..(?)

B
T

crazylegsmurphy

One of the Regulars
I love the fabric...it's so strange!

I think the rest of the pant fits totally fine, just too fat for the waist. Like I say, this suit came with two pairs of identical pant. So I have a LOT of material if I need it. I see what you are saying though... No one would really notice or see the insert. It wouldn't need to even be that much...two inches would do splendedly.

Here are a few pics I snapped using the timer, so forgive the crappy pics. You can get an idea of what this looks like on me. Keep in mind I am sucking in like no ones business! :D

suit_Vintage_03.jpg
suit_Vintage_04.jpg

Also, any ideas on what ties might go with a fabric like this?

And honestly...if this suit makes me look like a total idiot, you guys have to tell me...or at least tell me AFTER I wear it out so I get the joke :p

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Hey, Man, I think that suit is REALLY good- see how fitted the jacket is?
Note the obvious differences between IT and a modern DB suit-
DB suits that are fitted look SO sharp- loose and baggy ones just look, well, loose and baggy...
The jacket is good being snug but if you're gonna lose a few pounds, it'll soon look like it was made for you. It'll obviously look and feel a bit better then.

Me, I've been planning on dropping a few pounds for the last 2 years...

That 1st pic, on the left looks kool.

I think you have a kool suit there, hopefully the first of many.
The colour is great. I'm thinking a swirly brown, cream and orange tie- anything with browns or oranges would look nice. Of course other combinations will be fine too, that was just my preference. If you're looking at vintage ties, I'm sure you'll see one and, Aha! it'll click, you'll see a perfectly matching one. Basically just about any combination that has 'a' colour in it that roughly picks out the suit colour.

Nice one, you lucked out!

B
T

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Man, that fabric...

Very sweet. Nice find! And you can pair it with SO much. The range of earth tones as BT suggests, blues, the right red, etc. But to me, it asks for color. If you have en eye for it, you can do some nifty combinations. A bow tie wants to live with this suit!

Now you need a new hat.

IndianaGuybrush

One of the Regulars
And if you find the suit still won't fit and you can't seem to lose the weight then give me a call and I'll help cushion the loss by taking that silly old thing off your hands!

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Yeh, like Scott said, match to the blue and red in the fabric- (brown too)
I have a nice purple and dark taupe tie with a hint of red that would do nicely
but I'm keeping it.
Have a look, take a sample of the cloth with you and you'll see something.

That 1st pic is quite flattering!

B
T

Chad Sanborn

A-List Customer
Really nice! If ever their was a reason to lose some weight, it would be this suit! I think a darker colored tie, like a navy blue, might go well. But anything that matches the colors in the stripes on the suit.

Chad

crazylegsmurphy

One of the Regulars
Hey Matt,

As requested, here is a pic of the inside of the jacket and one of the pants. The stamp says 180126...whatever that means.

suit_vintage_05.jpg

How does the sleave length look to you guys?

The lady who brought in this suit also brough in a who wack of ties that I'll go look at today. I remember there was this really strange Orange, Cream, and brown one...as well as some thin blue/navy ones.

I'll see what I can find. I am also going to look for a reddish bow tie, I think that would look pretty cool!

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Sleeve length is OK- could be a tad longer if you're after perfection.
Maybe it's do-able...

Get that cream, brown and orange tie!

Looking at the photos again, the difference between a vintage DB suit and a modern is just SO vast! Look at the shoulder width- the shoulders are solid and the torso is fitted, so the overall effect is very different and flattering to the Gentleman. Modern DB Business suits are just awful by comparison. You can do a nice casual look with a vintage DB too but I don't think it works as nicely with a modern 'style'.

B
T

crazylegsmurphy

One of the Regulars
There is a bit of material in the cuffs that I could use to lengthen them about 3/4 inch or so.

I am definately going to try and drop the pounds. I need to anyway for health reasons.

What do you think of these?

suit_vintage_06.jpg

BellyTank, you are right! I really like how the suit wears...it's so drastic from the "frumpy" look of the more modern suits I have been trying on. Even being as tight as it is, it gives me a much better shape, and helps me look much, much thinner than I am.

And with my super amazing photoshop skills...

suit_vintage_07.jpg
suit_vintage_08.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner