Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I think I need a Golden Era Social Secretary...

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
(posted in part on a different thread, but it seems appropriate here)

12 May 1941

Dear Vintage-loving friends on FL,

My, my its been most busy here at le petite Periwinkle maison since the weekend- and this week is getting busier moment by moment! Is it really only Tuesday evening? This Saturday as you know is the Art Deco Ball at the Paramount Theater in Oakland, CA. THE event of the Spring season! Of course the entire family-yes, all four of us are attending! We shall all be there to dance the night away, in addition to volunteering. Its white tie of course, and our dear son Daniel will be finally be getting the opportunity to wear his recently procured vintage beaver top hat. We are all looking forward to visiting with our new deco friends once again. I am especially wanting to see and admire all the finery that the other ladies will certainly be wearing!

My to-do/appointment list for this week leading up to the Ball is so large, I really need to see to hiring a Social Secretary to manage my calendar- like all the wealthy ladies in the films of the Golden Era most assuredly had! "Yes, Mrs. Linsley, I'll get that ordered for you. Here is the list you requested, your appointment for four o'clock is waiting for you in the Drawing Room, Mrs. Linsley. Oh, you are most welcome Mrs. Linsley, the pleasure is indeed all mine." Perhaps an advertisement in The Times...

I was simply frantic calling Selix Formalwear on the weekend, (along with talking to Mr. M. Deckard of FL fame as well- on an entirely different subject, a simply charming gentleman, btw) and have now taken young Daniel not once but oh yes, twice (and we are not finished yet) to get him a pair of tuxedo pants that fit him. If we can get a pair with some adjusting that can be done so that they will fit him for the time being, we've decided to buy him the pants from Selix. He'll use them again hopefully at the beginning of September for the Queen Mary Deco Festival in Southern California. Who knows what formal events the summer may hold...

There are beauty appointments of all type this week for myself and our lovely, lithe sweet daughter Sarah. Oohlala! Such fun we girls have... Sarah's gown for the Ball is being altered as I write to you. We are hopeful that her braces shall be removed on Friday morning as scheduled just in time for the Ball.

I must close this letter now, as it is close to time for the children to retire. I need to check my schedule for the morrow and conclude any other necessary correspondence.

Lest I forget, you simply must join me for tea in the garden straight away after the Ball. The roses are quite glorious right now in the gardens. Dear husband Charles had done a splendid job pruning them back in January!

Ah, yes- the life of an impossibly rich, well dressed and well heeled married heiress with perhaps too many hats in a 1939 Paramount film is never dull! Note to self: put a nap on tomorrow's schedule-

Sincerely yours,
Mrs. chantueseCarey Linsley

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Precisely why those rich heiresses in 1939 Paramount films didn't!

Actually, being a full time stay at home mother IS a job, and a very important one, just not a paying one.

QUOTE=Miss 1929]Imagine if you also had a job! :eek:

Or two!:eek: :eek:[/QUOTE]

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, yes of course it is a real and demanding job! But imagine if you had to do that plus show up somewhere corporate at 8 am every day - yuck!

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
:eek:fftopic: Those days are too very soon quickly coming upon me. With the current state of our family's finances I will mostly will have to have a "real" job REAL soon. I'll definitely need much more caffeine in more cups of tea, anti-stress meds (when I have medical insurance to be able to afford them!), books on learning to live on little or no sleep (because I'll be awake all night worrying about the kids with my being away at a job), and last but not least a superwoman suit! AND I'm probably too out of shape from stress eating to fit into one...

Yeah I didn't make it over to the Y today to get a workout today (which helps with my sanity level with all that is happening here). Sorry- its been a real rough time today working on applying for jobs online...(sniff) At least this morning my sister kindly colored my hair for me (can't afford to have it done) and it looks real nice! My dad and his wife were over at her house for a visit and just mainly ragged on me about my needing to find a job, and that I need to stop living my life as a fantasy that is now over. Thanks Dad...

Okay I'm going to get offline and shut up now... I need some tea.

Miss 1929 said:
Well, yes of course it is a real and demanding job! But imagine if you had to do that plus show up somewhere corporate at 8 am every day - yuck!

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Tomasso and BinkieB,

I liked what the article said. Believe me if I could find a job that paid me $117K a year- I'd take it!! The interviewed stay-at-home mom's last sentence sums it all up in a nutshell- she said "The rewards aren't monetary, but it's a reward knowing that they're safe and happy."

I've applied online for a few P/T positions, one retail store had 40 pages of questions to answer first. But nothing yet-. :eek:fftopic: It just seems a bit humiliating that I'm applying for entry level jobs in clerical and admin and retail fields, at age fifty with two bachelor degrees...sigh. But right now with my computer engineer husband still out of work, I need to take any job in this economy to help us be able to keep our sweet rose- bedecked little house here in No. California...

In spite of the current state of our finances, and with my having been at home all these years, we are very blessed with two healthy, sweet, GOOD children.:). We've had a nice little life in this pretty little house (1200 sq) with a white picket fence (that my husband and I together custom built) and 100+ roses and other flowers in the yards (we both designed the gardens and planted them) for 14-1/2 years. Life hasn't always been a bed of roses, but we're still here.

Gee, it sounds almost like a Golden Era wished-for-life, doesn't it... or maybe the "Its a Wonderful Life" life... or maybe I just have watched too many old movies since I was 12 or so...
sniff... sniff

sorry for going on here, was I ranting or maybe just complaining?
off line now to go get a vintage hankie to blow my nose on and wipe my tears away. more sniff

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
I waited till 8 weeks out, and had lots of grey showing up by then! With my coloring (I'm a Spring), they say 'doesn't grey attractively, color your hair.':rolleyes:

BinkieBaumont said:
People will say "Things can't be that bad, at least she can get to her colourist ever 2 weeks"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails