Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I THOUGHT I bought this Stratoliner

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I've just emailed him too.

Unless he honours his sale to 'you,' then this will be the most expensive hat he's ever had when he loses his ebay account. Silly boy.[huh]

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
:eek: :eek: Wow,that sellers attitude is less than great. I don't think I have ever seen a seller pull an auction after its been won only to relist for a few bucks more. Sorry to hear that Tango,The hat looked really nice and I was tempted myself. I'm sure this guy will reconsider and pass the hat to you.

FedoraGent

One Too Many
Deadbeat Seller...

I'm with the other cats, I'd go ahead and report that shifty deadbeat seller to eBay as soon as possible. What a jerk to do that and I hope he gets banned.

FG.

RBH

Bartender
I too shall drop the seller an e-mail.
Please let us know how it turns out... good luck!

my note :

Whats up with this relist? Did the buyer back out? I dont think so... You sold this hat and it is against E-Bay policy to renige on a sale. You are not allowed to relist when the item sold, just because you wish you would have gotten more money. You state only two bids.. a lie there was 7 different bidders and nine bids. DO THE RIGHT THING, if you are reported you will be kicked off the site. IS THIS KIND OF TRICKERY WORTH IT?

cookie

I'll Lock Up
eBay

I had a rare win with payPal for a fraudulent seller of vintage specs who is selling the fakes mixed up with the legitmate stuff. I stumped it and said I would not even return the fakes until he paid up because he had bad feedback tried to tell me I was pulling his leg then wanted the specs back before reimbursment and had duped me - got my USD100 reimbursed after the eBayer did not reply to me upping the ante in protest.

Another one - a particularly nice pair of mesh specs that brought some unbelievable price (USD400) has just reappeared on eBay for a second go. Shill bidding that failed? What do you think?

deanglen

Sent the following:

"This is an invalid re-listing. You should ship the hat to the winner of the previous auction. Why are you doing this?"

Decided not to blast him, but be firm and polite. This guy doesn't know what he's dealing with, but he will. I pray he heeds our words.

dean

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
Note to the Managment

Maybe it is time for a thread/sticky note, on these less than honorable eBay sellers. As a group shouldn't we protect ourselves from these type shenanigans? How about it MK, can we do something like that in order to consolidate the dishonorable sellers? As is, it would just about be impossible to search every thread.

AlanC

^Obviously this is completely up to MK, but Style Forum does have an ebay sticky that discusses both good and bad sellers, so there is precedent for such a move elsewhere.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
At least deadbeat sellers are greatly outnumbered by the honest ones!

Fortunately, there are honorable sellers out there. On Saturday I received a vintage tie that I won. To my surprise there was a $5 bill in with it and a note that the seller had not noticed some loose stitching until she was packing it to ship to me and wanted to make up for it.

I also received a message from the seller of a fountain pen I bought and had received on Friday. I had bought a red-orange Parker Duofold Junior fountain pen, and it looked like that's what I received. What she had sent me by mistake was a red-orange Parker Duofold that had been sold in another auction for about $100 more than I paid. I can see how she made the mistake. On the exterior the only difference between the two is barely-visible embossing with the pen model listed. I had to use a very bright light and magnifying glasses to confirm that the one she sent me didn't say Jr. on it. I've got no idea what the difference may be in the pens otherwise (besides what someone was willing to bid on it.) I'm mailing it back today.

This morning I sent petrieboss a follow-up message pointing out that more than half of the bidders on the first auction were aware of the situation and wouldn't be bidding, suggested that the few extra dollars wasn't worth the loss of integrity, and that if anyone actually did bid on the hat I would contact them and explain the situation. I also told him that if he didn't decide to do the right thing by this evening I would be contacting eBay.

This was to be my last big buy on eBay for a while--on Friday I was let go from the job I started a month ago. Not completely sure why as their reasons were counter to actual facts but I think it was a personality conflict. Anyway, I'd hoped to make my last buy in a while a great one, then this happens. It is indeed annoying.

Cheers,
Tom

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
I can't figure out why you didn't just go to Ebay in the first place. It's not like petrieboss, or whomever, might have made an honest mistake. He's a crook and needs to be spanked.

I'm not quite sure why the seller thinks the original end price wasn't good enough for a 7 1/4 Stratoliner. 7 1/4 isn't so big as these things go, and $140 is more than a fair price for that hat.

I must say, when i sold an unused Stratoliner on eBay i was a little unhappy that it went for only $75. But then, it was a size 7 and i'd only paid $15 for it. Knowing the buyer wears it proudly is a big plus. Good deal all around.

Whatever happens on eBay, the seller has to let it go for the end bid. Surely this is why reserve prices exist.

bk

I do worry that it will be a bit counterproductive for so many FLoungers to inundate his inbox with unwanted messages. This approach may just harden his attitude against the original winner. [huh]

Feraud

Bartender
I hope the seller does right by sending the hat to the original winner and cancelling the second auction.
Sometimes a barrage of accusations will cause a person to defend their position however wrong it may be. Judging by the seller's good feedback I would be willing to consider this matter a rare lapse in judgement.
We should wait to hear from the seller and whether he provides an explanation and solution to the problem.

Flying Scotsman

One of the Regulars
I'd have gone STRAIGHT to Ebay the moment he relisted and backed out of the deal.

Time is of the essence...the new listing is only good until tomorrow. If he "sells" it at a higher price before Ebay acts, you may be out of luck.

My vote? Contact Ebay NOW, as in *this morning*. ASAP. PDQ. Get the new listing pulled, and force the seller to honor his contract.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou