Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I THOUGHT I bought this Stratoliner

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
cookie said:
Another one - a particularly nice pair of mesh specs that brought some unbelievable price (USD400) has just reappeared on eBay for a second go. Shill bidding that failed?

Not necessarily. Some bidders, after winning an auction at a very high price, claim to the seller that they "accidentally" mistyped the highest amount that they were willing to bid. In other words, they typed "$400" instead of the "$40" that they intended.

Believable? Not really, but there's no real way to force someone to pay the (high) amount when they insist that they never intended to bid that much. In such a case, the best thing that a seller can do is to relist the item.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
jake_fink said:
I can't figure out why you didn't just go to Ebay in the first place. It's not like petrieboss, or whomever, might have made an honest mistake. He's a crook and needs to be spanked.

Personally, I'd rather receive the Strat than give a spanking. Tango Yankee won't be able to do both, unfortunately. It's either one or the other.

Having been through this one before and, with the help of many of the same folks here, got that seller banned as he was not willing to let the hat go for my high bid;I would report him ASAP. I emailed him with many choice words not fit for including here but it just makes one peeved that a jerk would pull this stuff. :eusa_doh: :rage:
Let's just get this guy gone as another lesson and deterent to other bidders who would consider doing such a thing. :D

Regards,

J

Marc Chevalier said:
Personally, I'd rather receive the Strat than give a spanking. Tango Yankee won't be able to do both, unfortunately. It's either one or the other.

I'll bet you $50 that the seller ain't gonna give up. They just get the idea in their head and it sticks---alll the way out the eBay door. :rage:
Like I say, I've been through that one before. Remember "I not moron." :p
Besides, spanking can be fun. :p

Regards,

J

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Nothing from him yet

And I really don't expect to hear anything at this point. He may be trying to see if he can get a buyer at his new minimum bid and if not, honor my bid. Of course, that would be a bit too late. I could be wrong but I don't think he'll get any bids.

I do want the hat, and figured I'd give him a chance to regain some semblence of integrity with the hope that he'd learn a lesson. With his feedback record I hoped it was just a case of greed overcoming good sense.

Ironically, I'd wanted the hat enough to put in a max bid of $212. The market decided it wasn't worth that much and I doubt it will change it's mind.

Cheers,
Tom

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Flying Scotsman said:
I would also recommend saving the webpage itself, so that if he edits the description, you still have evidence that he willingly violated the Ebay rules.

Good idea... I'll do that as soon as I get home.

Cheers,
Tom

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Tango Yankee said:
Nothing from him yet ... and I really don't expect to hear anything at this point.

Hmmm ... it's looking grim. If the seller hasn't responded by now, then pride has overcome self-preservation. Barring a miraculous change of heart, he ain't gonna let you have the hat. It's too late in the game. :(

As Bugs Bunny says, "This means war." The grace period is over: time to let eBay know about the situation and get the seller banned.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes, the 3-day auction relist must have been an attempt to dodge you while selling the hat out from under you.

I agree (again) with Marc: let the hammer drop on this scoundrel.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
With the inundation of e-mails he's receiving, one would surmise that he might understand there is a community out here that is talking about him and spreading the word, either that or he's on vacation and hasn't been around to read the verbal tsunami landing in his lap. In any case he's obviously not the sharpest knife in the drawer, otherwise he would have retracted the other listing and owned up to either greed or an honest mistake. At this point he is hosed, no matter how many "attaboys" one gets all it takes is one "aw s**t" to whipe the slate clean.
Sir, I certainly hope that you get your hat, and when you do you proudly display it here amongst friends. Best wishes to you!

Cheers!

Dan

S

Samsa

DanielJones said:
With the inundation of e-mails he's receiving, one would surmise that he might understand there is a community out here that is talking about him and spreading the word, either that or he's on vacation and hasn't been around to read the verbal tsunami landing in his lap.

Yes, that's the point I tried to convey in the note I sent him:

"Please take this item down and give it to the buyer who rightfully won the original auction. It might very well get you banned from eBay, and it has already sullied your name among a certain vintage hat buying community. You have no doubt gleaned this from the multiple other emails you have received about this auction. Do the right thing and and give the hat to the rightful owner!"

I hope all these notes being sent his way lead to a change of mind/heart. Getting him banned would be icing on the cake.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou