Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I want a real sweater.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I've been happy enough with an Outdoor Knitwear Submariner - they're quite large for the labelled size (not just long, but large all over) and I was disappointed to find the colour was much more of a yellowy cream, than the off-white colour the photos suggest, but it's warm and well made.

My favourite winter sweaters are hand-knitted Inverallan ones, but they do cost...

I have 2 Inverallan sweaters: one navy blue cardigan and one cream crew neck. I've never seen anything like the quality of Inverallan. I didn't realize wool could be knitted so dense and heavy - it almost feels like I'm wearing wool armor.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I have 2 Inverallan sweaters: one navy blue cardigan and one cream crew neck. I've never seen anything like the quality of Inverallan. I didn't realize wool could be knitted so dense and heavy - it almost feels like I'm wearing wool armor.

Can you point me towards an Inverallan sweater website? I am interested.

Last edited:

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Eastman RAF sweater is the business...a man's sweater!

IMG_0194.jpg

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Silvermans is the Outdoor Knitwear one made by them, as are some of the others you mention. I bought one direct from Outdoor Knitwear's site last year and it was a lot cheaper than the retail outlets. But the price has gone up a bit since I see. I did exchange a couple of emails with them when I bought it and he said his retail customers would not like it if he undercut them too much by selling direct so that's why he's put his prices up a bit I expect.

It's still a bit cheaper buying from them though, and they have an eBay presence now as well.

That's interesting, I did wonder if outdoor Knitwear were supplying other retailers and why they a bit cheaper. I have also bought army type pullovers from them and they have been very good indeed.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Surprised nobody has mentioned the Norwegian crewneck sweater sold by LL Bean. Originally made by Devold in Norway. That was a classic when I lived in Connecticut in the 1980s, but I never owned one at the time.

Then Bean outsourced production to China in the 1990s and (surprise) sales fell in tandem with quality. So they dropped it. Recently they've returned it to the catalog, and they're made in Norway again but by a different maker. I hear there's issues with cuff length, and neck and cuffs stretch out too much with time, color less intense, different cut etc. I managed to score one of the 1980s vintage in great condition on eBay, and attest that they're very good indeed.

I also have a very thick British sweater made of wool that hasn't had the natural lanolin removed (same applies to Norwegian sweater above). This actually appears to reduce water absorbtion, but some object to the smell. I don't mind sheep so it doesn't bother me.

I'll reinforce what was said about Guernsey sweaters. I bought one in the 1980s when in Scotland. They are very tightly woven, snug fitting and hard wearing. Also (not mentioned here) is that those like mine are cut symetrically, without a front or back side, so can be reversed if showing wear. Makes the fit around the neck a bit different and takes some accomodation - works best with collar buttoned up or a turtleneck underneath.

I don't entirely agree with what some folks assert about the superior performance of fleece. I have and like fleece vests but in real-world use, the long sleeved fleece garments don't layer as well, don't fit as snugly and are actually less efficient at trapping warmth when worn underneath a windbreaking layer. Wool sweaters breathe better, which is bad if it's your outer layer and the wind is blowing, but otherwise makes it more flexible. Yes, fleece can be wrung out if it gets soaked, but in situations where that happens (I'm thinking kayaking or canoeing) it often isn't super feasible to drop everything and do that. Wool insulates surprisingly well when wet and doesn't soak as fast. Both have their place.

Last edited:

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
They have very small production and stopped selling direct a few years back, so no longer have a web site. Most of their sales are to Japanese stores.

End in the UK stock them: http://www.endclothing.co.uk/brands/inverallan/ and the Mandon Store normally has them in Winter.

Thanks very much for that. I am thinking about getting a cream or off-white hand-knitted Aran for the autumn/winter (looking forward to those seasons already). I haven't worn one for some years now as I've concentrated on wooolly pullies, Guernseys, submariners, etc.. Any other recommendations for quality manufacturers of this type of sweater?

Doublegun

Practically Family
I bought one of Bean's rag wool sweaters back around 1981 and THAT was a sweater. Tightly woven, heavy but not bulky, pretty much anything anyone could ever ask for. Unfortunately, I "outgrew" it many moons ago. I see they have them again but I don't know if the quality is the same - they are on my short list for this fall.

BobJ

Practically Family
I have a fantastic sea green Harris wool roll neck. It's designed for being stuck on a far-flung location which is battered with every type of extreme weather. Comes to you stiff as a board, and had to be tamed through constant use. It's heavy, heavy wool, the same stuff to make the island's tweed, but softens up after a couple of wears, so you can wear it over t-shirts.

http://www.calanacrafts.co.uk/harris-wool-jumpers-12-c.asp
http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/products.php?cat=aerocloth&sub=aknit

Hey Sloan, Is the Harris Tweed itchy - particularly against the neck? I like wool, and generally have no problem wearing it, but thought the coarse Harris Tweed yarn might be hard on the neck. Do you still have yours? Wear it much?

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
It's not itchy in the slightest. At first, it was stiff like cardboard, as you'd imagine, but it softened up after a few wears. It's still one of my go-to winter jumpers but it's so robust that it looks just as good as the day I bought it, no fading, fraying or thinning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana