Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I want a vintage style suit

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Okay Gentlemen, I need some opinions. I can find a classically styled hat, shoes, and car if I want one. However, our selection of vintage styled suits is sorely lacking.

I'd like double breasted with peaked lapels in a two-piece, or a notch lapeled single breasted three piece suit, if that makes sense.

The problem is, I'm a big guy. I'm 6'6", 240lbs, with a 39" waist, and I wear a 46 or 48L jacket. This makes finding one on ebay or in vintage stores pretty much impossible.

Where can I go to find something like this, outside of springing for a bespoke suit? What do you suit geniuses know about this problem?

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Well..

Hong Kong? I feel your pain. I have checked out BEAUTIFUL suits at Art's place, but I am like winnie the pooh...short fat and proud of that! Seriously, I am short but have a muscular and stocky build.

The suits from vintage era war for the 5' 9" 140 pound guy. We are bigger and fatter today. I have been told (thanks Art) that I need to drop a few to have the drape of the suit fit over the bulge of my ***.!!

Think Jimmy Cagney in his later films, or EG Robinson in Key Largo.....that's me...right Art?

Pyroxene

One of the Regulars
You are like me. I would think get a custom suit made would be the best option. That way, you could have complete control over cut, color, style.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Hey boys! Suit trouble eh? I know how it can be hard to find a vintage suit to fit right. I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m about 6?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢3?¢‚Ǩ? and have been VERY lucky in finding suits. The trick is to never give up!!! Look, look, look and look! And when you can?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t think of looking any more, you look again! I have completely given up on ebay for suits! The people that list any of them don?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t know how to measure sizes very well. If you are ever in the mid west, there are a few places that you can find some good stuff! It?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s just knowing where to look. I have a friend that?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s going to school in Kansas and he finds large sizes all the time! Shorter and rounder sizes but, not your average 39-42 reg. The theory of every one being smaller back in those days I really don?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t subscribe to that. There were a lot of folks that were of all different sizes. I saw a photo of Glenn Miller when he was over seas with the AAF band and he was standing next to some other AAF Officers. Glenn was bout 6?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ tall and one of the other Officers was at least 6?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢7?¢‚Ǩ?!!! And the other two Officers were in the 6 foot range. I believe that most of the normal sizes were worn out or turned into a women?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s suit during the war. You had the grate depression that made men ware their clothes till they were hanging on by a thread then, the rationing of every thing in WWII. Men went to war, the ladies at home cleaned out the closets!

If you want to have a suit made that will look like a real vintage article of clothing, I suggest you try a guy in Long Beach California! He has a vintage shop there but he also does custom work and I have seen the stuff he makes and he only uses fabrics that look vintage and once in a wile he comes across vintage fabric! He isn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t cheap, but he knows his stuff! Say you have a photo of an actor from a movie of the 30?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s or 40?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s that you want to copy, he can do it!

Matt is having a suit made by this man and he can give you the phone number and address as well. So, good luck and never give up!

Take care all!

Wild Root

Gone Home
Well, not really. I live just north of Long Beach and it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s only about a 45 minuet drive for me. So, if you live in southern CA and you have the funds to blow on a nice suit, this is the guy to talk to! I would give you the info on how to get a hold of this guy, but Matt Deckard has all the info. I would have a suit made by this guy, but I am lacking in the funds for such a thing right now. However, there is a little taylor shop in China town LA that has been making really good vintage copies for some of the swing dancers here in LA. He's a little more easy on the cash wad and does a nice job. I can find out more for ya if you are Serious.

Hope that helps,

mike

Call Me a Cab
Wild Root said:
If you want to have a suit made that will look like a real vintage article of clothing, I suggest you try a guy in Long Beach California! He has a vintage shop there but he also does custom work and I have seen the stuff he makes and he only uses fabrics that look vintage and once in a wile he comes across vintage fabric! He isn’t cheap, but he knows his stuff! Say you have a photo of an actor from a movie of the 30’s or 40’s that you want to copy, he can do it!

Matt is having a suit made by this man and he can give you the phone number and address as well. So, good luck and never give up!

Take care all!

I would be very interested to know about this chinatown tailor! (the long beach one too but the cheaper of the two might be more in my price range presently...) I live in hollywood sooo I think I could make the trip! :p Anyone planning on going tot he Cicada club this sunday night..?

Snookie

Practically Family
The Chinatown tailor closed up shop and retired a couple years ago. Many people around here are still mourning the loss...

I believe Jorge in LB is still working.

Cicada Club..Don't have tickets yet, trying to decide if it's worth getting there early. Are you going?

mike

Call Me a Cab
Snookie said:
The Chinatown tailor closed up shop and retired a couple years ago. Many people around here are still mourning the loss...

I believe Jorge in LB is still working.

Cicada Club..Don't have tickets yet, trying to decide if it's worth getting there early. Are you going?

oooh no I really had my hopes up for that! any idea how I can get in touch with Jorge then..? Is he truly 800 dollars a suit?!
Cicada club, I am hoping to go! I was actually thinking of going there for dinner aswell but didn't act fast enough to get a reservation. I really don't know much about the goings-on in los angeles, I moved here in august. I mainly go to the el segundo movie theatre (www.otmh.org) and have been eyeing this dickens to deco dance lesson thing in studio city :) I'd certainly love to be more informed! Although this is probably very off topic ;)

Indy Magnoli

Vendor
To get back on topic... an old topic at that... bespoke suits aren't always too expensive: http://www.magnoliclothiers.com

;)

Some happy customers:

mc-custbig3.jpg

mc-custbig16.jpg

mc-custbig13.jpg

Kind regards,
Indy

Snookie

Practically Family
Jorge's store/shop is called La Bomba. I'm sure there's discussions about him on other threads if you search. I don't know what his prices are now. If you know what you want, you can go to any decent tailor. If you need advice on vintage styles, you should find one experienced with what you need.

As far as staying in the loop, make sure you're on the email lists for Mora's Modern Rhythmists and Maxwell DeMille -- there's more good stuff coming up this spring/summer.:) I've been eyeing that Dickens to Deco dance, too, but I don't think my husband is interested in pre-Deco.[huh]

mike

Call Me a Cab
Indy Magnoli said:
To get back on topic... an old topic at that... bespoke suits aren't always too expensive: http://www.magnoliclothiers.com

;)

Some happy customers:

mc-custbig3.jpg

mc-custbig16.jpg

mc-custbig13.jpg

Kind regards,
Indy

oooh!! these are great and the site is wonderful aswell!!
And you are the tailor in question..? Personally I like to style myself in the vein of Lon Chaney Sr. if you take a look at his character in the film the Penalty for instance, minus the virtual frock coat/reworking of his coat to hide his legs I mean :p
But beyond Lon Chaney the entire look/feel of 20's/30's suits really strikes a chord to me. Especially after moving to LA, where it's sooooo hip to have a 5 o'clock shadow, messy hair, bought-used jeans and tshirts... it's just so decadent, thoughtout and laaaaame! Soooo for me, bring the classic styles back!

mike

Call Me a Cab
Snookie said:
Jorge's store/shop is called La Bomba. I'm sure there's discussions about him on other threads if you search. I don't know what his prices are now. If you know what you want, you can go to any decent tailor. If you need advice on vintage styles, you should find one experienced with what you need.

As far as staying in the loop, make sure you're on the email lists for Mora's Modern Rhythmists and Maxwell DeMille -- there's more good stuff coming up this spring/summer.:) I've been eyeing that Dickens to Deco dance, too, but I don't think my husband is interested in pre-Deco.[huh]

aah yes my girlfriend feels similiar! haha
also, I have been keeping an eye out for Maxwell DeMille's stuff, i was upset I missed out on that 1942 Air Raid event but my girlfriend couldn't get out of work sadly.. Well regardless, surely we'll run into each other sooner or later! LA isn't that big errr right!? ;)

Jovan

Suspended
Darn it Mags, I was gonna promote before you so shamelessly did. :p Those photos are quite great and speak for themselves!

There are a couple other online bespoke services mentioned, Baron Boutique and My Custom Tailor. Unfortunately, while they are priced low, the results can be mixed from person to person. I've had some success with BB's shirts, though the fabric shrunk a bit much and it fits me a bit too tight since I've gained weight. Overall I think Magnoli's prices would be more worth it given all the praise here and on his site, especially if you go the extra mile and get floating canvas and pure wool fabrics (besides pure wool tweed, which is regular price) for a little more.

Indy Magnoli

Vendor
Sorry, Jovan... my lack of shame beat you to the punch. ;) Sent you a PM too...

Mike, feel free to e-mail or PM me to discuss the possibilities, which are endless... sounds like it could take a while, eh?

Kind regards,
Indy

Jovan

Suspended
Indy's really good at customer service, even if you don't buy anything and are just going through possibilities. I'm still set on that tweed suit worn by Ewan McGregor (and I'll send some more photos from a recent auction of the original if I can get them off this @%##% DVD-RW from my last backup).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails