Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I wish I had a job I could dress nicely at

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Minor whining here. I've got a very good job [thank you LORD], but as a Field Parole Agent, I just cannot dress in nice clothes. The jeans and casual shirts work well with kevlar vests and the glamorous accessories we carry, but sometimes I wish I could carry my nice fountain pen and wear a sport coat and tie, etc. I see the posts of Dinerman and the other snazzy dressers here and get a little jealous. Okay, I'll quit sulking.........:eusa_doh:

Nighthawk

One of the Regulars
I know its not the same, but a pair of vintage Levi's might be something for you to pick up...

NH

Brooksie

One Too Many
DeaconKC said:
Minor whining here. I've got a very good job [thank you LORD], but as a Field Parole Agent, I just cannot dress in nice clothes. The jeans and casual shirts work well with kevlar vests and the glamorous accessories we carry, but sometimes I wish I could carry my nice fountain pen and wear a sport coat and tie, etc. I see the posts of Dinerman and the other snazzy dressers here and get a little jealous. Okay, I'll quit sulking.........:eusa_doh:

I feel your pain man, when I first joined the lounge I had a job at a pub and restaurant there was a dress code: a black t-shirt with the pub logo on it, jeans or dockers in black or tan. Shoes: tennis shoes or clogs. I ended up working there for over a year and a half... I wanted nothing more then to come to work in a nice dress and heels. Then I got a really good job in an office doing work that I like and I was able to dress up and I could even wear my vintage. I worked there for almost a year and a half then I was laid off in November and then I just wished I was just employed again but now I will be starting school full time for about 4 months and I will be able to wear pretty much what I want. The students around here are pretty casual and I don't want to be to over the top.

Brooksie

4and1

One of the Regulars
I have a dirty job (lucky to have it). After working in dirt and filth all day, every day it feels really good to be clean and well dressed. The contrast makes my time off that much better.

By the way, Deacon, thank you for doing what you do. Probably a thankless job, but there's one for ya'.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
I'm with you.

I consider it a privilege to be able to wear nice clothing. I now, however, work outside most of the time as a vendor (caricature artist) at festival settings here in Florida. I am grateful for my ability and opportunity to do my thing, but I actually would like more occasions to wear slacks, coat and tie. If someone around here tucks his shirt into his jeans it's considered "dressed up". [huh]

There are a few gigs each year where I am hired to perform at private events like fund raising balls, New Year's Eve, etc. I make the most of those. :D

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sadly, I do not feel your pain.

Throughout my career I wore the finest clothes and I loved every minute of it. I get dressed up for no reason at all since childhood.

Then I retired at 40 and now I cannot get "dressed up" at will anymore.

I am a stay at home Dad.

Whether it sleepless nights where your eyeballs are hanging down to your kneecaps or play dates or in the "old" days getting puked on you don't wear your Sunday best.

However, I am in ecstasy :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

I know when the day comes that I can "dress up" at will again it will be very sad indeed, my boy won't need as much anymore:(

CopperNY

A-List Customer
i have the equivalent job in NY.

aside from the duty belt, vintage styled workwear is just as practical as anything else, grab your hat and go. dark jeans,Red Kap, Dickies, Red Wing boots?

i modify my work ties w/ velcro in the back to make them breakaway for when i'm in a fight.

obviously i don't go too retro for warrant service days, but for every day home visits and such a fedora and shined boots have changed many a family's impression of me. and they're the ones who are the first to call me. some just laugh, but i expect that.

167086123_b14f463052_m.jpg

3267706378_1245e97e98_m.jpg

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Copper, your first pic looks like my daily dress, too. [wish I was built like you!] Yup, I keep the cowboy boots polished, and 10-4 on the break away ties. Started out as a CO in a max joint and came up through the ranks. I am fortunate to have a good job and an excellent boss, so like I said, just minor whining! Keep safe!

JohnnyGringo

A-List Customer
Although I am greatful to have a job at this point, although I, too, feel your pain. On the 50th anniversary of Buddy Holly's death, I wore a fifties sportcoat with a Buddy Holly pin on my lapel, black fifties bowtie, etc., etc. into work, only to have my boss ask me where I was preaching that night...I felt embarrassed and somewhat obligated to mumble out some response to him while pointing at my Buddy button- and, by the way, I work in the office of a commercial furniture leasing company where sloppy casual dress is the norm.

donCarlos

Practically Family
Everyone can dress nicely for their job. Almost anything different and tastefully put together can be clasified as "nice".

I have a job in office (real estates/tourism) and even though I´ve had only about three clients in the office since I work there (two months) and my boss (who lives just upstairs in the same building) goes to office almost in her pajamas, I still wear a suit every day. And I get a lots of compliments each time somebody comes. When somebody asks why I´m so dressed up, my answer is "because I respect people who come here and my job"

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
There seems to be a contingent at the FL who believe that if you aren't wearing a suit, you're a slob. Baloney. When your job calls for it, there's nothing sloppy about putting on clean, simple, sturdy, well-fitting clothes in good repair.

Subvet642

A-List Customer
DeaconKC said:

I'm wit youse! I wear a uniform at work (goon, hired goon), and I wish I could wear a suit or a jacket and tie to work. We have to change into our uniforms at work, so my street clothes spend 8 hours a day in a very small locker, and there's no way I'm going to cram a suit in there just to commute to and from work. Damn!

Lily Powers

Practically Family
DeaconKC said:

You could "faux vintage" your kevlar vest by sticking old travel stamps on it! lol

Well, at least you have your nights and days off to step out in style. Anyone who wears a kevlar vest for work deserves appreciation and well-wishes to stay safe.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Having to dress up for work often takes the enjoyment out of doing so. I often envy those of you who have work uniforms or get to wear simple, comfortable clothes to work. The main advantage I see to this is -- less time needed to get ready in the morning = more sleep.

CopperNY

A-List Customer
DeaconKC,

don't wish to be built like me. i spent too much time as a powerlifter and sacrificed some joint longevity because of it. when i was serious i was 275#, now 215# (at 6').

as far as time goes, i've got it down to 15 minutes from coffee in my pj's to having my tie tied and pulling out of the driveway. the wife leaves before i do, so all i have to do is kiss the dog goodbye on my way out.... :)

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Well I decided to dress in some nice slacks today, nicer shirt and guess what? Had to grab one of my guys working at a hog farm!!! I guess that will teach me to whimper! Now I've just got to get the smell out of the car!

Spiffy

A-List Customer
I'm a student with two part-time jobs, one of which has (lately) involved mucking around in off-season strawberry fields, hauling things (mostly stupid prop guns) back and forth

Therefore I have about 3 changes of clothing stashed in the trunk of my car, along with appropriate footwear. I just want a nice office job!:rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner