Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ice Cream Parlor Talk

What is your favorite ice cream flavor?

• Vanilla

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chocolate

• Vanilla Fudge

• Strawberry

• Butter Pecan

• Chocolate Chip

• Cherry Vanilla

• Mint

• Coffee

• Other

• Total voters
A&W

Root beer floats with ice cream so cold some of the root beer freezes to it.
A&W time! There was one A&W on the south side of Montauk Highway (AKA Merrick Road) in Lindenhurst, Long Island that was a family favorite.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Had some fantastic Lemon Icecream in Italy three weeks ago.:D

Toscanamaj2008086.jpg

Haven't had an icecream since.
Nothing compares to that in my book.

TraderRic

One of the Regulars
As a child I grew up making ice cream at home in an old hand cranked machine, so vanilla will always be my favorite. I can add anything to it to suit my needs dor the day. When I lived in Germany and travel back to Europe I love Tiramisu.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I've had hand cranked ice cream a couple of times. MUCH labor, but well worth it.
This thread is bringing back fond memories of old ICE CREAM PARLORS. Originally, I believe, what we call soda, or pop, was considered as a health drink. They added flavors to "tonics" (still called that in New England, of course), which led to such delicacies as lime rickey, etc. The fizz water was supposed to help your digestion. Yeah, right. Then they added ice cream, and voila! a whole new world of deliciousness.
We used to have many independent dairies up state, as did the whole country. They all made their own ice cream. Let's see. In Lakewood NY there was Jenkins, in Westfield (home of Welch's grape Juice) there was Vine City dairy, in Mayville it was Leslie's Sweeet Shop, etc., etc. Westfield also had Ellis Brothers, the most old fashioned ice cream parlor in my memory. They had old dark woodwork everywhere, and the floors were those hexagonal tiles. They had straight backed wooden booths, and big slow moving fans on the ceiling. And the screen door closed with a Whap! that echoed through the cool dark confines.
They made big tall milkshakes and ice cream sodas. And, this being the day before such conveniences as plastic straws, they gave you large paper straws. For a good milkshake you might go through two or three of those straws. Fond memories.

The Ice Cream Soda!

As a youngster, I would go with my mom to A&S or the Abraham & Strauss Store in Babylon just off of Merrick Road. (Not far from the A&W and the first McDonalds in the area just west over in to Lindenhurst.) When we were a single car family we'd take the bus. Anyway, on the top floor of the A&S, they had a restaurant with lunch counter. We'd usually sit at the counter and my mom would treat me to a hot dog with New England style bun and have the counterman or woman make for me a Vanilla Ice Cream Soda. Heavenly!

Sincere best wishes,

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
This seems to be my off topic day. Speaking of the lunch counter at A&S. When my mother's family went to Europe in 1937, they were very surprised to bump into the soda jerk from A&S (Brooklyn) in Germany. He was from that country, and visiting his family. Small world.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy