Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Iconic Abstractions of The Era

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Running a special film series this week in which all features are being shown from 35mm film prints, it occured to me that even though film has been obsolete as a mass-market exhibition medium since the early part of this decade, the image of a strip of film remains an abstract icon of the movie business -- consider how often you see something like this:

Movie-icon.png

Which is simply an abstraction of this:

43595.jpg

Something which was once an everyday part of the real world now survives largely as an abstraction used by a generation which has had little or no connection to the actual item that inspired it.

There's a lot of this around us today as the artifacts of The Era, one by one, fall into obsolescence and extinction. Consider the universal icon for "gasoline."

gas-icon-29.png

It's a generic drawing that everyone recognizes as a gas pump, because, once, gas pumps actually looked like that:

ra0715-221259_1.jpg

But you'd be hard pressed to find such a pump still in everyday use in a setting where any ordinary person might encounter it. Since the 1980s, pumps don't look anything like that -- and yet the icon remains. People accept it as a "gas pump," even though it doesn't resemble any gas pump they actually use -- or, possibly, that they have *ever* used.

Or consider that the microphone input on the computer you're using right now is very probably represented by an icon like this:

zwarte-microfoon_318-8458.jpg

A generic "microphone" symbol that doesn't really look like any actual microphone in wide use today -- but which is, in fact, a very simplified drawing of a very specific microphone which was once widely used in broadcasting -- the RCA 77 series, manufactured from the mid-1930s to the mid-1960s.

RCA%2077-DX%20ribbon%20microphone%20-%2040.jpg

There are many other such instances in which literal objects of the recent past survive in the minds of today's generation largely as abstractions, even among people who've never actually seen a single example of the real object. How many others can you think of?

The Edison Bulb

We're not quite there yet, but this rapidly disappearing from real life icon will, I bet, live on in icon world long past its life in the real world:

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The masthead logo of the New York Daily News since the late 1970s has been a graphic simplification of a Speed Graphic press camera:

Screen-Shot-2015-03-16-at-11.06.38-AM.png

Which used to be a lot more literal:

camera.dailynews.jpg

Even today the Speed Graphic is the iconic "newspaper photographer" camera, decades after it passed out of common use.

speed%20annyvers3x4.jpg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
The masthead logo of the New York Daily News since the late 1970s has been a graphic simplification of a Speed Graphic press camera:

Screen-Shot-2015-03-16-at-11.06.38-AM.png

Which used to be a lot more literal:

camera.dailynews.jpg

Even today the Speed Graphic is the iconic "newspaper photographer" camera, decades after it passed out of common use.

speed%20annyvers3x4.jpg
Here on our side of the pond, we have speed cameras. So that a motorist can't say that they didn't know, all cameras are publicly announced with an icon resembling the Brownie Box Camera. Thus:
speed.jpg

We haven't had steam trains on our railways for more than fifty years but you will still see signs denoting a rail crossing over a road as this:
crossing.jpg

The advent of the cellphone has rendered public telephones all but obsolete, however some still exist, as does the icon that represents them.
phone.jpg

Last edited:
Here's one hiding in plain site. The square-jawed man in the Fedora as a symbol of integrity. A generic version pops up now and again in ads, etc., to reflect an old-school probity. Away from fans here, few still wear one, but its symbolism (combined with a rock-ribbed jawline) still has marketing capital and, my guess, will for years to come.

Last edited:
Not necessarily the Era, but you really don't see many of these around anymore:

black-and-red-no-smoking-sign-picture-id180489130

They are getting less and less common, as it's becoming more and more understood that smoking is prohibited. There will come a day when no one remembers being able to smoke in public. I was talking to a couple of summer interns here at work, and neither were aware that there was a time you could smoke on an airplane or in a department store. The idea was foreign to them.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Here's one hiding in plain site. The square-jawed man in the Fedora as a symbol of integrity. A generic version pops up now and again in ads, etc., to reflect an old-school probity. Away from fans here, few still wear one, but its symbolism (combined with a rock-ribbed jawline) still has marketing capital and, my guess, will for years to come.

I think you can trace that connotation to the popularity of Dick Tracy in the 1930s. He started out as a kind of a generic cartoonist's-shorthand version of a generic "Good Looking Man" with a vague resemblance to Richard Barthelmess --

Dick%20Tracy%20volume%201%20reprint.jpg

He changed rather quickly into a tough-guy caricature, with his receding chin beginning to advance in proportion to his increasing aggressiveness --

dicktracy.JPG

And by the end of the thirties, he had an iron jaw, a flat nose, and a permanent scowl:

tracy.jpg

And by the end of the forties he was fully the knife-chinned, razor-nosed icon that he remained for the next twenty years.

Dick+Tracy+influence+p6.JPG

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Ever since I can remember I was always curious about her
and what she looked like.
I imagined a mean aunt or the wicked witch.
image.jpeg

0ba734ee52bbd41f6f59e386daa7700e.jpg
I was not expecting Doris Day! :(

Last edited:
I think you can trace that connotation to the popularity of Dick Tracy in the 1930s. He started out as a kind of a generic cartoonist's-shorthand version of a generic "Good Looking Man" with a vague resemblance to Richard Barthelmess --

Dick%20Tracy%20volume%201%20reprint.jpg

He changed rather quickly into a tough-guy caricature, with his receding chin beginning to advance in proportion to his increasing aggressiveness --

dicktracy.JPG

And by the end of the thirties, he had an iron jaw, a flat nose, and a permanent scowl:

tracy.jpg

And by the end of the forties he was fully the knife-chinned, razor-nosed icon that he remained for the next twenty years.

Dick+Tracy+influence+p6.JPG

Barthelmess had a pretty substantial career for several years for a guy almost no-one knows today. And he was in some really good movies like "The Last Flight" that also are all but forgotten today.

And agreed, always thought the FL icon echoed Tracey.

I love the history / evolution of the Tracey profile. Probably lean to the "end of the '30s" one as my favorite. But more broadly, always liked that exaggerated style of illustrating men and women as heroes chiseled out of stone - the USSR artists were fantastic at that style.

Last edited:

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Barthelmess had a pretty substantial career for several years for a guy almost no-one knows today. And he was in some really good movies like "The Last Flight" that also are all but forgotten today.

Richard Barthelmess was an actor of the first rank. "He was in some really good movies" That is certainly an understatement! :) "Rich Man, Poor Man", "Tol'able David", "Broken Blossoms", "Way Down East", and then in the modern era stuff
ike "Scarlet Seas". How could he be forgotten?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner