Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ideas for 40's/WWII themed office!

Shawn F.

Familiar Face
I am trying to get some ideas of a WWII styled office or a 40's themed. I thought maybe do something like an actual office from the 40's or a military themed one. Pictures would be great of some desks, furniture, etc.
I am thinking of course an old table top radio, type writer, my 1911 nicely on display (of course), phonograph, etc. I did try looking around some through the homes here that are posted and did get some ideas already.
Any ideas, pictures, suggestions, etc would be GREATLY appreciated!

1930artdeco

Practically Family
You may want to contact or visit a local reenacting unit for some ideas on furniture, pics etc. Maybe looking at some original pics of some offices of officers over in England or DC?

Mike

Shawn F.

Familiar Face
Thanks guys. As for the radio I did find a Majestic Portable radio at a local antique shop for about $35 and it looks to be in the 40's from what I have researched... I will post a picture of it on here shortly, maybe somewhere here will know exactly what it is. It doesn't work but they let me take it apart so I have some interior pics as well. I am assuming a 40's themed office will have quite a bit of 30's furniture since most people didn't buy new furniture right away anyways and the "newest and best" thing out. How about a fan... Anything specific I should look for?

One item that is pretty neat for a desk is to have a "Desk Set." Desk set actually has a couple of meanings one is the set of items such as the blotter, paper holders, letter opener type stuff is all a coordinated set.

The other is from the vintage fountain pen realm. A desk set is usually a fountain pen with a stand or sometimes pen and pencil set or even two pens in a stand. They also still used a form of dip pen where the stand contained the ink supply.

Some executives would bring in their own and it could be a better brand of pen like Parker, Sheaffer, Waterman Conklin, or others. It could also be an earlier set.

Another brand that was used by government and industry is Esterbrook which was found in many offices all over the US. They had some desk sets and dip pen sets too. Widebrim knows a lot about desk sets.

Shawn F.

Familiar Face
Great idea on the desk set! I did not think of this. I now need to find one for sale somewhere. :) I am not in any rush to get this office or room setup yet because I am in the process of moving but have been thinking of ideas for this setup for quite a long time now and SLOWLY acquiring things. I think first on my list is a desk, fan, phone and now desk set. Then I can worry about the chairs, typewriter and would like a nice end table or setup with a table top lighter, ash tray, and something to hold my glass bottle of whiskey and some glasses. :) Every office needs some bourbon of some sort. ;)

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
John in Covina tipped me on this thread. Regarding the desk set or (better yet) inkwell, you have a wide variety of choices. For a 1940s desk, I would recommend a Sengbusch inkwell. They are usually rectangular or globed-shaped, and made of glass; most 1940s movies that include desks will feature one or two of them. Another inkwell that was popular during the decade was the Morriset; an removable ink bottle totally encased in bakelite, complete with a matching dip pen. As John menitoned, Esterbrook inkwells were also very popular (although more so in banks and post offices), and came in a greater variety of styles than the previous two companies offered. I have many inkwells in my possession, and will try to photograph and post a few tonight or tomorrow. If you desire a desk set, you have many period choices, but for a home desk I think that an inkwell is more appropriate.

Last edited:

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
I forgot that I actually have a Sheaffer desk set on my school desk. (Forgive the dust on it, and the papers; leftovers from St. Valentine's Day.)

Photo80-2.jpg

MikeBravo

One Too Many
When you say a "military" theme, how specific have you gotten? I mean army, navy or air force? Maybe focussing on one of those might help, as in having pictures of aircraft, ships or whatever. You could include, say, an ashtray or some other object in the shape of an aircraft or ship or even a tank. More focus on one of these areas might assist with a colour scheme as well.

Raider

One of the Regulars
Though something like this wouldn't have shown up until after WWII in the US, here's what I have hanging above my desk at work:

arthur-pan-sir-winston-churchill.jpg

Framed, it's pretty large.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Inkwells

Here are two that were around during WWII (and which also come without chains):

Photo78-2.jpg

On the left is a Sengbusch, the right a Morrisett. You can also find Morrisetts with Armed Forces emblems embossed on the lids. (If you're looking to do a Navy/Marine Corps office, I have a fountain pen/pencil set with the Marine emblem on the caps of both; somewhat rare.)

I am trying to get some ideas of a WWII styled office or a 40's themed. I thought maybe do something like an actual office from the 40's or a military themed one. Pictures would be great of some desks, furniture, etc.

I keep forgetting to ask if it is supposed to be an office on a military base, a government office, a civilian contractors office or what type of office.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou