Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If I had to pick one guy from the golden era. . .

Phog Allen

Familiar Face
Hello ladies. Another male hijacker here but I wanted to add something. I tell my wife if there were one golden era actor I could be for awhile, it would be George Sanders. Star of the Saint movies of the late 30's. The accent, the presence, the looks. James Bond cool thirty years ahead of his time. Here's a link to a pic. Hope it works.
172022.jpg

Phog Allen

Familiar Face
Hi Lauren. Well, I won't hazard as to whether George was handsome or not. I don't look at guys in that light.LOL He just had this incredible voice and screen presence that is not easily duplicated. The closest person I can think of today with a voice that immediately makes you notice him is Geoffrey Rush. His perfromance as Walsingham in Elizabeth was top shelf.

Todd

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Agreed. NO ONE will ever match his voice or his line delivery. Flawless. He is one of my favorite male actors from the classic film and I think he is sadly often overlooked!

For the record, I don't pick men for their handsomeness alone ;) In fact, personality far outweighs it! I guess God was just giving me a bit of everything with Mr. Riser. But I don' mind...

I'm a guy, so I hate to admit this: one of my favorite films is the old black-and-white THE GHOST AND MRS MUIR (1947?). The music score, lighting / shadow effects, cinematography, screenplay, and director (Joseph Mankiewicz) are hard to beat. It's a quiet film that leaves most frenetic ones in the dust. George Sanders plays his standard "cad" role and actually makes me feel sorry for him ... or rather, for what his actions will leave him with.

Oh, and Gene Tierney and Rex Harrison are the stars. A terrific pair. Tierney was superbly beautiful, and Harrison seems to have been great guy to share some whiskeys with.

-- Marc

muir1.jpg

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
It's true George wasn't handsome. That's why you should try Tom Conway, his brother. Much better looking, with the good charateristics of his brother. Plus he was in Grand Central Murder, one of my favorites.
As far as personality over looks; that's the only hope I have in this crazy world.

The Wolf

P.S. I finally have some photos of me and my hats uploaded(?) to a site. I just need to find out how to make them smaller to put on this site. Then you'll see what I mean.
Sorry, that's off-topic.

Naama

Practically Family
I think, somehow, Buster Keaton was quite good looking
Keaton123.jpg
, Mr. Valentino was great as well (as someone mentioned before) and, don't forget James dean!
JamesDean.jpg
ah! :cool:

Naama

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lauren Henline said:
I have to choose a young Mr Cary Grant.
He was comedic, he was debonaire. A great dresser, a great smile. Always joking, but knows how to let you have it when he's serious.
cary.jpg

cary2.jpg

cary3.jpg

Close runner ups: Fred Astaire & William Powell- both with tongue in cheek sense of humour and great dressers.

I have to totally agree with you 100%. Cary Grant was a Fox. I don't know if you saw the thread about our top ten movies, I think 8 of mine were Cary Grant films! I just love him. He's funny, talented, and very debonaire. Loved him in both Bringing up Baby alongside my favorite Katherine Hepburn, as well as A Philidelphia Story. And playing John Robie "the cat" he was superb! Oh, and I just loved the clothes in those films too.
Fred Astaire is my second. He danced like he was floating on air, but still looked manly doing so. They just don't make em' like they used to!

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
not just another pretty face

My favorite actor of all-time was the late great Sir Alec Guiness. I don't think there was ever a role he played or a movie he was in that I disliked. He always fascinated me onscreen, from his earlier roles through Bridge of the River Kwai, Lawrence of Arabia, Dr. Zhivago, and on to Obi-Wan Kenobi and George Smiley.

Here is a photo from his River Kwai days:

http://houstoncritics.com/guiness/IMAG0005.JPG

And one when he was older (wearing an intriguing fedora):

http://www.stuart.cann.freeuk.com/images/alec_guiness.jpg

Such an eloquent, elegant actor.

Others whose stage presence carried them: the wonderful Claude Rains, he of Casablanca and Mr.Skeffington fame. And, yes, George Saunders, who has such power onscreen.

I also loved Richard Burton. I have seen eight Hamlets and his was my favorite.

http://geocities.yahoo.com.br/astrosestrelas/Richard_Burton.bmp.jpg

Those eyes, that voice....

karol

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
I completely forgot about Alec, somehow I always think of him in his later roles rather than those in the "golden era." But I agree, he was an incredible actor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo