Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you are interested in living in Japan

Ben

One of the Regulars
Even with the Typhoon, Tokyo was a great city. I hope that it didn't disrupt your travel plans too much though.

We got a little wet, but we spent our time at indoor places like the Olympics Museum, the Fish Market, and an Onsen (public bath).

The typhoon added nicely to ambiance of visiting the fish market, and it let me walk around for two days saying "It's like a typhoon out here!" which amused me anyway.

And now, of course, I can say I went through a Typhoon when my Mom complains about hurricanes hitting Florida, where she lives.

The last day was beautiful. More on that soon and probably in the steam trunk section. But there were some cool Rock-a-billy guys there.

Empyrium

One of the Regulars
Speedway said:
I'm from California though. We're thinking about moving to the Yokohama area to be a bit closer to Tokyo. Trying to find a balance between city conveniences and a slow countryside life. I'd love to hear from people living in Japan about places to live. I'd really like to only hear from long timers, not newbies still in the honeymoon stage of living in a new country.

I lived in miyagi-ken in 1992 in a city called furukawa. Now the city name has changed to another.
Living in Gunma-ken now, inaka!
In my opinion yokohama is better to live than tokyo.

Speedway

New in Town
We we neighbors...

Empyrium said:
I lived in miyagi-ken in 1992 in a city called furukawa. Now the city name has changed to another.
Living in Gunma-ken now, inaka!
In my opinion yokohama is better to live than tokyo.

I live in Sendai. We were neighbors. Seems like you went from one inaka to another. Better than living in the middle of a metroplis though. For me at least. I imagine Gunma must be a little more exciting than Furukawa?
John

Rufus

Practically Family
I lived in Tokyo as a kid...near Naka Meguro. I'm going to Tokyo on the 27th for 10 days with my girlfriend, and 10 year old son, Finlay.

I'm really looking forward to going back to west tokyo, and wandering around Yamate Dori!

Well..Time to pack!

:) Rufus

Pilotguy299

One of the Regulars
question

LaMedicine said:
Kinda :eek:fftopic: and not sure where to post this, but since I have seen various threads with topics on Japan, if any of you are interested in living in Japan, there is a program that is sponsored by the Japanese government called The JET Programme.
I hope it interests someone.:)

do you need to be able to speak japanese? are relocation expenses covered?

LaMedicine

One Too Many
Pilotguy299 said:
do you need to be able to speak japanese? are relocation expenses covered?
As far as I know on speaking Japanese, no. All you need to be is a native English speaker with a Bachelor's Degree, and able to assist Japanese teachers in teaching English. However, some knowledge of Japanes probably will be helpful, as you are likely to end up in the more rural areas where some Japanese will be handy, rather than the major cities where it will be easier for you to get around in English. However, I imagine the local people will do their best to welcome you, even if you have no knowledge of Japanese, and you probably will be able to pick up whatever you need during your tenure. The expenses are covered as far as I know, but I think you'll be able to get all the details you need by checking th web site and asking your Qs there.
I believe there are recruiters in the major cities in the US as well. Since you are living in Maryland, you're right next door to Washington DC, so you could contact the Japanese Embassy/Consulate and ask them for infromation, as this program is sposnsored by the Japanese Foreign Ministry.

LaMedicine

One Too Many
Rufus said:
I lived in Tokyo as a kid...near Naka Meguro. I'm going to Tokyo on the 27th for 10 days with my girlfriend, and 10 year old son, Finlay.

I'm really looking forward to going back to west tokyo, and wandering around Yamate Dori!

Well..Time to pack!

:) Rufus
Naka Meguro is where one of my aunts live, and I used to live as a kid not far from there, in Oohashi.

How long since you were here the last time? Depending on that, you may find some big changes--several areas have been redeveloped and revamped in the last few years after the burst of the bubble years. Lots of architecture that are glassy and makes the facade the same as any other large cities world wide. On the other hand, some of the older areas like Asakusa that retain the old atmosphere have been revamped to retain the air. (Part of the reason actually was to reinforce many of the older public buildings to meet the newer construction regulations after the Kobe -Awaji-Hanshin-earthquake in '95. Where it was too costly to reinforce the old buildings, they were taken down, and new buildings came up.)

Since you will be here for New Years, of course you must do the "Ninen Mairi" the two year worship at any of the renouned shrine or temple. Head out for your destination late New Year's Eve and the line starts moving at the ring of the New Year.
After the worship, take the Keio Line out to Mt Takao, climb in the dark to the peak of the mountain, and watch the New Year's sunrise, "Goraiko".
Plus, you mustn't miss the New Years Sales in Akihabara, since you have a 10 year old boy with you.;)

Feel free to PM me if you'd like to meet up, or if there's info you'd like to check out.

rebelgtp

One of the Regulars
i'm actually thinking about doing this after i finish school. i would love to spend some time in japan. when i was younger i studied kendo for quite awhile and we had a visiting sensei from japan that was so impressed with me that he started training me one on one. by time he was ready to leave i was able to beat my sensei in a match. he then offered to let me come to japan to go to school and study at his dojo. me being a stupid kid not wanting to leave my friends and family behind declined...i still beat my head against the wall when i think about it.

MegamiOrchard

Familiar Face
Ten years ago (gosh, was it that long?) I spent two months in Japan, mainly in Osaka. Fantastic country, loved it completely, taking my son with me when I go back in five or so years time.

Dontonbori (restaurant area of Osaka) is like BladeRunner - I kid you not.

pgoat

One Too Many
rebelgtp said:
i'm actually thinking about doing this after i finish school. i would love to spend some time in japan. when i was younger i studied kendo for quite awhile and we had a visiting sensei from japan that was so impressed with me that he started training me one on one. by time he was ready to leave i was able to beat my sensei in a match. he then offered to let me come to japan to go to school and study at his dojo. me being a stupid kid not wanting to leave my friends and family behind declined...i still beat my head against the wall when i think about it.

we've all made those kinds of mistakes - look at it as something to learn from. Sounds like you have quite a gift, to have progressed to that point!

Harp

I'll Lock Up
rebelgtp said:
...he then offered to let me come to japan to go to school and study at his dojo. me being a stupid kid not wanting to leave my friends and family behind declined...i still beat my head against the wall when i think about it.

I once declined a Hapkido master's kindness (with the greatest reluctance),
and this style so intrigues me I still cannot forgive myself. :(

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
I wish I could!

With all the family and work issues...I'd leave in a second!

I wonder if they had any opportunities for a deputy sheriff with commercial photography experience???

LaMedicine

One Too Many
rebelgtp said:
kendou_001.jpg

Kendo!! Although it isn't as well known outside of Japan as Judo and Karate, there are Kendo connoisseurs from abroad, and there is even an English language Kendo magazine. I hope you'll be able to come to Japan, renew your friendship with your sensei and continue your Kendo studies.

LaMedicine

One Too Many
MegamiOrchard said:
Ten years ago (gosh, was it that long?) I spent two months in Japan, mainly in Osaka. Fantastic country, loved it completely, taking my son with me when I go back in five or so years time.

Dontonbori (restaurant area of Osaka) is like BladeRunner - I kid you not.
Is that why part of your screen name is "Megami"? I was wondering if it had anything to do with Japan.

LaMedicine

One Too Many
Badluck Brody said:
With all the family and work issues...I'd leave in a second!

I wonder if they had any opportunities for a deputy sheriff with commercial photography experience???
Mmm....we've got a different law enforcement system from the US, so we don't have a system that equals sheriff's depts. You could come over and teach English to police officers here, though, maybe, because we are getting a lot of foreigners, both residents and tourists these days, and the poor Koban policemen often have their hands full trying to give directions to foreign tourists.;)
Or, maybe just come over for a photo shooting trip of anything/everything that you find interesting here--I hope you'll find lots-- and make a fortune publishing a good photo essay book.:)

LaMedicine

One Too Many
Harp, nice to hear from you. How are you doing?
Sorry, I didn't notice your post until today. :p
I'm surviving, busy with work. Well, I'm having lots of fun, whatever I do :)
2020 summer Olympic Games will be coming in 6 years, so there's probably a lot of opportunities for expats in the next several years.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Konichiwa Sanae,

It is good to hear from you too-busy, like you are, and happy with life-though I miss Kyokushinkai, bushido, and youth LOL.
Hopefully I will be back to visit Nippon before the Olympics with my Japanese improved. I may approach the Jesuits for permission
to spend an academic year at Sophia University as their guest-sort of a scholar in residence-but I am not overly optimistic. :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points