Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you can tell me what this is, you can have it!

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I found this photo in a box, and figured an airplane fanatic would know:

1) What cockpit this was
2) Year of plane

cockpit.JPG

If you are the first person to respond with the correct answer, I'll send you the photo. Game only open to US residents.

One other person must agree with your answer for it to be "deemed" correct.

Vintage Betty

randooch

I'll Lock Up
No clue whatsoever.

I do know, however, that it would have a place of honor in my brother's den, where airplane arcana rule the roost. If he had a decent computer, I'd engage him for an answer, damn it.

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ok, let's wrap this up by Friday! If no one steps forward with a second vote to any of the already posted guesses, I will pick names out of a hat.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Boeing 707

It is likely a Boeing 707 early series, probably a 707-120. This airliner was delivered in 1958, and was the first successful jet for passenger travel in the U.S.

The throttle quadrant has 4 thrust, with reverse. There is an early radar scope in the center quadrant. Yokes are typical Boeing.
Gauges are consistent with the model.

Age? This plane is likely an early model, due to the radios (non digital). If the photo were to show higher on the panel, you would see the large switches #1,2,3,4 for the engine fire suppression system.

There are also spoilers and slats levers, as well as flap lever on throttle quadrant. Jet Engine all the way.

The panel has standard Artificial Horizon (no Horizontal Situation Indicator, or H.S.I.) and there is early model VOR/ILS Glide Slope
indicator, plus a ADF. I believe there is a radar altimeter on the panel also. Standard turn and bank (needle and ball) can be seen
as well. Altimeter dial is standard. No GPS stuff here!

Any notes on the back of the photo?

0251682.jpg

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
This plane is as old as me!

PM Sent!

You really inspired me on this...and it was a bit of a challenge!

The Boeing 707 flew in 1958, the year I was born! And I rode one at age 7 from Oakland to LA to visit the relatively new theme park, Disneyland!

This aircraft was the FIRST successful COMMERCIAL airliner in the Untied States..and remained in production well into the 90's.

This panel, show, is an early one, with the oval radar and the basic instrumentation. A fine aircraft. However, today, the Guppy (737-800) and the other series... and Airbus...are Far more efficient and reliable. See the panel on a modern jet? All glass, GPS, heads up, virtual reality stuff...

Feel safe and go fly!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy