Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If You Could Keep But Only One Of Your Lids...

Alucard73

One of the Regulars
My VS in Natural Felt is still my favorite but my Brown Fed IV is definitely a close second.
Easter.jpg
088.jpg

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
How did you get the curl in the rear of the brim?

That hat's general shape is like one worn by William Powell in "The Kennel Murder Case". I asked Art Fawcett to make one for me, which he did. It is a faithful reproduction but for the curl in the rear of the hat. Art didn't have the correct flange to produce that curl.

How did you get that curl, as I'd like mine to have it, too?

Thanks.

dostacos

Practically Family
Just like James T Kirk, I would rig the Kobayashi Maru test so I would not have to choose between....

one of these
artpen.jpg
the tan an Art Fawcett, the gray a Penman
or the latest Art Fawcett
IMG_0022.jpg

KILO NOVEMBER said:
That hat's general shape is like one worn by William Powell in "The Kennel Murder Case". I asked Art Fawcett to make one for me, which he did. It is a faithful reproduction but for the curl in the rear of the hat. Art didn't have the correct flange to produce that curl.

How did you get that curl, as I'd like mine to have it, too?

Thanks.

Who are you addressing?

Tone

A-List Customer
I guess if I had only one hat to keep of the entire bunch it'd most likely be the Bushman since it has a wide brim and a decent crown which leaves it open to a variety of styles. I just like the hats that start off with a decent amount of brim. Even though it is also a thin ribbon fedora that's an easy enough switch. :)

The color's pretty universal - in terms of casual. I just really like the sort of blank canvas this starts as.

bushman009a.jpg

bushman008b.jpg

May not be glitzy but sure has been a great everyday hat.

Slim Portly

One Too Many
I'd have to go with my brown Dobbs Fifth Avenue. It is old enough to carry an air of history but not so old as to need to be treated with kid gloves, the style is neither too formal nor too casual, and the rich chocolate brown looks good with all of my brown suits and compliments many other colors.

It started as a size 7 1/4 LO homburg from The Printz Co. selling for $14.95. It had a center dent and smooth sides, an overwelt edge, and a tasteful ribbon treatment in a color that pefectly matched the color of the body. I don't know anything else about its early life but I bought it on eBay for a few dollars more than its original asking price:

DobbsBr.jpg

I rebashed it with a teardrop and snapped the brim, making it less formal but still stylish:

DSC05153-CROP.jpg

...and still allowing it the ability to "dress up":

DSC05138-CROP.jpg

Sean at Byrnie Utz did a fantastic job (no charge!) of smoothing out my dry bash:

DSC04944-CROP.jpg

DSC04950-CROP.jpg

And surely the hat you bring with you to the hospital has to have some special meaning:

SSPX0095-CROP.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Slim Portly said:
I'd have to go with my brown Dobbs Fifth Avenue. It is old enough to carry an air of history but not so old as to need to be treated with kid gloves, the style is neither too formal nor too casual, and the rich chocolate brown looks good with all of my brown suits and compliments many other colors.

It started as a size 7 1/4 LO homburg from The Printz Co. selling for $14.95. It had a center dent and smooth sides, an overwelt edge, and a tasteful ribbon treatment in a color that pefectly matched the color of the body. I don't know anything else about its early life but I bought it on eBay for a few dollars more than its original asking price:

Sean at Byrnie Utz did a fantastic job (no charge!) of smoothing out my dry bash:

DSC04944-CROP.jpg

Sean is great. If you look right behind his hat, a couple of rows down...that's where my Stetson used to live!

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
Hmm..... Id say its the Mallory "12.50"!
Crown:5 5/8ish
Brim: A whopping 3 inches with a fake Cavanagh Edge
Color: "Snow" A light almost white gray
It's from before the Stetson takeover in 46'.
The feather is long gone now.
IMG_9305.jpg

IMG_9299.jpg

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
wow, I was still pretty green when I posted this. Not only would I change my mind on the choice of hat, but I would also have to update my collection count, and I'd have to change "Alan" to someone else......and a few come to mind.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
I'd have to pick one of my 'super fedoras' created from a western dress hat because they are just so tough and practical.

Wait a minute ... can I only KEEP one, or do I have to pick ONE and then wear it FOREVER?

I mean, there's a difference ... OH MAN, if I have to wear just one hat from now on ... yeah, that's it ... then it will be a converted fedora, cuz it will stand up to the wear and tear.

Final answer ... I think.

Dang, this is hard ...

Sam

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
1920s-1930s Heather Felt Medium Longhair

This one is NEVER going anywhere. I LOVE this hat more than all my Stetson's, Dobbs, Adam's, Champ's, etc.

DSC04714.jpg

DSC04718.jpg

DSC04704.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran