Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you could take only one hat

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Depends on where you are going and if it will rain!

Nice question, but a difficult one. If I were going to a known hot area, such as the tropics, or Hawaii..I would lean to a good straw. My lesser quality Montecristi. But anywhere else, I would take the felt, my Optimo Nutria. It is relatively light weight, and will hold up to water. It is warm in the evenings, and provides good shade in the day. Not an easy choice. You have to factor in time of year, and the potential for RAIN. I would not want to get my straw wet.
I did that at Water World Amusement park, going down a slide. Whoops, I got wet wet wet. The hat? Looked as stiff as cooked spaghetti when done :rage:

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
Probably a linen Gatsby, or maybe a medium weight wool...mmmm, maybe a light weight fur felt Fedora. Wait a minute, what about shorts, can't wear a Fedora with shorts. But a you can with a Newsboy, that's it, a Newsboy/Gatsby, linen. Unless of course it's winter, then it would have to be wool. It all depends...

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
Most holidays I go on, I take two hats, a felt fedora and a newsie. I have, however, taken a fedora and a (unfortunately cheap) straw on holiday when going to the beach. I find it difficult to take just one!

bink

English Bob

New in Town
The one for me Maybe?

Akubra have introduced a new lifestyle range and I ventured to try one out. I bought a Traveller which is quite nice, it is a fur felt and unlined with a cotton sweatband. They say it is crushable and it has a wired rim so it can regain its shape. A hat with Memory!!! OK its crushable but it will not bend into a bag like a Barmah hat but it will crush into a suitcase. Normally I wear this hat in the bad weather and it is excellent and would do as an all round holiday hat as it can look both smart and casual depending on the rest of your clothing. However they only do it in one colour Fawn. I guess it might pass as an all rounder for hot and cold climes if it was available in a light colour.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Huzzah for threadomancy. I would probably take my Open Road. It is very versatile, durable, and fits most situations.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Depends on the time of the year....

.... and where I'm goin' :) When it's warm, and I'm here in the South, it's Panama's only. When it's cooler and I'm traveling, it's one of my Akubra's. When I travel, I only wear ONE hat and figure one will have to do for ALL contingencies. :) I try to approach life with the KISS principle :)

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
If I can only take one it is my Dobbs Westward OR clone. It is a very light neutral color that can go with just about anything. It is also tough; it has been rained on, snowed on, sweated on, sat on (not by me) and is still going strong. I wear it year 'round.

MCrider

A-List Customer
I couldn't agree more! When we went to Florida last Oct I took my Stetson Nolan hat. Bad choice unfortunately as they were having an unprecedented heat wave, so it did a lot of shelf time there. But still, I try to find out the possible temp ranges and make a decision after that. This summers vacation I took an Akubra Capricorn and it served me well.. except on roller coasters.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
When I go on my trips for work, I always bring a gray felt with a dark ribbon. To me that is the most versatile color combo. I only bring one fedora on the road because it is too much luggage to add a big hat carrier to have more than one.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Well even though I have recently acquired a Stetson homburg on eBay, that would not be the hat I'd take with me on some travel or adventure, wherever that may be. As a matter in fact, as it currently stands that role would best fit my Akubra Federation IV. It's dark brown, and felt granted, but I have actually worn it pretty comfortably in 100 degree weather. So this would definitely be the hat I'd take traveling. It's been with me many places already.

Mulceber

Practically Family
Well even though I have recently acquired a Stetson homburg on eBay, that would not be the hat I'd take with me on some travel or adventure, wherever that may be. As a matter in fact, as it currently stands that role would best fit my Akubra Federation IV. It's dark brown, and felt granted, but I have actually worn it pretty comfortably in 100 degree weather. So this would definitely be the hat I'd take traveling. It's been with me many places already.

Good answer! I'd take my Adventurebilt Raiders - it's similarly tough and stylish and it's been my go-to hat for travel for a while now. It has never failed me, even in the hottest Italian summer. -M

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I like to travel light and never take more than one hat. Which hat I choose for any particular trip depends entirely on where I'm going and what I will be doing.

In general terms, a quality lightweight fur felt fedora would be the most versatile.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner