Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'll never find a suit

Johnny B

Familiar Face
Bah

I've been scouring the hell out of ebay and the local thrift stores and I'm convinced I'll never be able to wear a nice 30s-40s style suit because they just don't fit

I'm proportioned so weirdly compared to the "modern man" because I took up bodybuilding seriously as a teen. As a result, very little clothing does fit, but of course most things on ebay are size 38! 40! 42, maybe. Great, but I have a size 48-50 chest.

No problem go to the fat guy store. I would but I have a 34 inch waist. Anything cut for a fatty hangs off me and anything cut for a guy with my abs tears across my lats. Then there's the matter of length, height, inseam (I'm high waisted to boot)

Get it tailored, okay. I'll just hop in the Bentley and cruise down Grosse Point for my local tailor, afterwards I'll retire to my yacht.

Is there any hope for guys like me or should I continue wearing sweats and potato sacks

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Feraud said:
Unfortunately, due to your build you might need to go custom.

I unfortunately agree. Between diet, health and the need to reuse recycle during the war years, a suit of your size would have been altered or cut up for the fabric it represented. In 25+ years of collecting I've maybe seen TWO suits that would fit you.

However, you do have choices.

Choice 1: Depending on your budget and needs, cozy up to a high-end vintage dealer, who either imports or is based in Europe. Most dealers in the US who are high end and have great stuff typically purchase by the container from pickers in Europe. I can privately refer you to a well-known dealer in San Francisco who only has fantastic stuff; and you will pay those type of prices.

Choice 2: This would be my choice.
I'd suggest you find a custom tailor - there are at least two or three here on the Lounge who will work with you to create something that you can use for every day as well as nice occasions. The advantage for going custom is that the tailor will take your build into consideration and make something that will look excellent on YOU vs just having something vintage.

The pricing will probably end up being somewhat the same (obviously, there are different fabrics and styles to consider) but if I were in your shoes, I'd actually go custom, because I would have someone making SURE I would look good vs selling me something that simply represented an era.

If you start comparison shopping, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised that custom tailoring isn't all expensive; some tailors can be quite reasonable. And if you work with one tailor, that person might be able to steer you towards more affordable choices.

And if there is ONE thing I've learned from reading the excellent Suit Forum, it is to PAY a tailor to measure you correctly for a suit. There is no reason to skimp on the measurements by an amateur when the end result will be uncomfortable and unflattering and a waste of your money.

I refer you to the custom suit threads in the Suit Forum for more sage advice than I can give you.

Best of luck -

Vintage Betty

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Johnny, don't despair. I have a friend that practices Krav Maga (an Isreali martial art) and is built like a Kelvinator...and has a fantastic collection of suits. In fact, we call him 'The Fridge'. The suits are out there, you just have to know where to look. I have another friend that is a vintage clothing dealer and can find just about anything...in this case, it's all about who you know.

You may have to spend a bit more than you're willing to, but in the end, it'll be worth it.

Check out the dealer 'cityvintage' on OFAS(our favorite auction site)...that's my dealer friend. If you don't see anything, email him and ask, he might have something that works for you or can find it. His prices are a bit too steep for me these days, but he's a good guy and you'll be happy with what you get.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff