Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm diggin' British Battledress

Rooster

Practically Family
I've got a new jacket this year. P40 battle dress ,100% wool of course from What Price Glory. Super comfortable jacket, and I get loads of compliments from the ladies when I wear it in public, which is all the time.:D
brit2.jpg

brit1.jpg

Starius

Practically Family
I bet you guys do get compliments from the ladies, so I hope you don't mind one from another guy!

You fellas look so made for those clothes! Perfection in attire!

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Compliments from ladies? Well it happens from time to time...:whistling

But also a lot of looks from gents.
Among them a wellknow fashion designer in Copenhagen. So I reckon it won't be long before BD is highfashion.;)

Rooster

Practically Family
I've had some rank insignia (staff sergeant ) and unit insignia (11th Hussars) on order for quite some time for this jacket. I sure wish it would hurry up and arrive. I wear a British commando sweater under this when the temperature drops.
Hey Spitfire, you carry off battle dress quite well, the blue version is on my wish list!:D

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
My compliments to you too, Rooster. Great jacket. Really suits you.

They ar so comfortable, warm and nice to wear. I gueese I have had it on, almost since the day I got it - except at more formal dinners that is!:)

Mine's got wingcommander on the shoulders, pilotwing and DFC ribbon with clash. Found it in London at a moviepropsale some time ago.
Seen them at WPG too.

Rufus

Practically Family
I used to have to wear BDUs at Air training Corps as a nipper. Bloody scratchy if I remember rightly! They dated to the late 50s..and stank of mothballs..

I remember standing at ease (ha ah..) for hours.. desperately wanting to destroy my jacket..

Oddly enough I prefer USAAF gear these days.. god bless HBT and horsehide!

Although I must say you two look far more dashing than us spotty herberts did..

:) Rufus

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
So true, Rufus. I also got fitted out with scratchy, smelly BDUs the first weeks of my time in the army. Could not get out of them fast enough.
Now you do everything to get hold of a jacket. And it hangs on me every day almost...Strange.:eusa_doh:

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Looks good guys.

Back in NZ, in the '70s, there was a Surplus shop called Valentines-
It was all about Govt' surplus and they had everything. Me and my friends would get wool BD in small sizes and have our Moms alter them to fit our 10 yr old frames- cool.

At high school, there was a post-punk fad of wearing wool BD trousers that had been made into shorts..! Shame.

I have the green denim BD- like the trousers.

B
D

Mike1973

A-List Customer
Dunkirk 2000

My last jaunt in BD...

dunkirk.jpg

A fantastic trip for the 60th Anniversary, got to meet so many veterens, hear there storys...:eusa_clap
It was the last 'big one' for them though, I think the reunions over there are pretty much over now...:(

I don't look half as smart as my Grandad Harry though... check my avatar, now he knew how to look good in battledress! ;)

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
M41 Field jacket - if I am not mistaken. I am not an expert on american fieldgear. Try to check out places like "WWII impressions" or "What price Glory". (WPG has - by the way - british BD jackets. Both army like Roosters and RAF.)
Happy hunting;)

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I have had several originals and several repros but what I kept was a "cheap"
repro made by a German company called "Sturm". These jackets are/were available all over and have a white label in the neck which reads:

Regulation Style
US Army Officer's Field Jacket
"Military" Quality
100% Cotton
MiL-TEC by Sturm.

In my opinion, if you can still get this jacket for cheap/er, it's a good one.
Quite accurate and the fit is similar to the originals, not too big in the shoulder or chest. I have had worse repros,
with terrible colour, cut and fit and other inaccuracies.

B
T

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
Spitfire said:
M41 Field jacket - if I am not mistaken. I am not an expert on american fieldgear. Try to check out places like "WWII impressions" or "What price Glory". (WPG has - by the way - british BD jackets. Both army like Roosters and RAF.)
Happy hunting;)

i thought of that, but the M41 has buttons down the front, and Sizemores has a zipper...i think its a tanker jacket...because it looks heavier...ill keep lookin', thanks all...and yes, i'll be getting a British BD jacket as well...

kampkatz

Practically Family
My wool USArmy trench coat from my late father- in-law is from the early 1940's and still in great shape(except for the mothball smell). Wool will last forever if treated properly.

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
I have no choice...

Not only do I have to reply with my appreciation and determination for a similiar jacket... I also think someone should renew this thread for folks that might be interested in similiar jackets and gear!!

Very sharp Gents!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo