Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm new to this forum - Dobbs question

KevKaos59

Familiar Face
Hello everyone. I'm so new to this forum that it hurts. I've been lurking for a few weeks, reading and trying to learn. I have two hats now and a couple more on the way. I have a new Bailey Gangster which is a size large rather than being a fitted size. I added a 1/4" felt strip behind the headband to get it to fit properly. It is a dark grey with a black ribbon.

My second hat just arrived yesterday. It is a stingy brimmed vintage(?) Dobbs, which is a 7 1/4 and a beautiful rich dark brown and a black brim. It seems to fit perfectly, and it is in fantastic condition. Sorry, no photos yet. I have to take some and get them posted up so I can find out how old it is likely to be. I noticed immediately that the touch and feel of the felt is WAY better than on the new Bailey.

One thing I am wondering, is when did Dobbs start using clear plastic over the label in the top of the satin liner?

KY_RudeBoy

Familiar Face
Welcome Kev!
I'm fairly new to the forum too. There are a lot of friendly people here and there is a lot of knowledge to be found.
I don't know the answer to your question about Dobbs' plastic liner, but interestingly enough, I just received my new Dobbs Glenwood yesterday, and there is no plastic liner over the crown. I was surprised. Incredible hat anyway, in my opinion.

KevKaos59

Familiar Face
KY_RudeBoy said:
Welcome Kev!
I'm fairly new to the forum too. There are a lot of friendly people here and there is a lot of knowledge to be found.

Agreed. The people on this forum know so much about all these different hatrs, it seems like they are speaking another language at times. I am trying to learn, as best I can. I can't wait to get some pictures up of this Dobbs, and then a Royal Deluxe Stetson that I have coming. I am very excited about that one, because I got it so cheap, and according to the photos, looks just like the one my GrandDad used to wear.

billyspew

One Too Many
KevKaos59 said:
Hello everyone. I'm so new to this forum that it hurts. I've been lurking for a few weeks, reading and trying to learn. I have two hats now and a couple more on the way. I have a new Bailey Gangster which is a size large rather than being a fitted size. I added a 1/4" felt strip behind the headband to get it to fit properly. It is a dark grey with a black ribbon.

My second hat just arrived yesterday. It is a stingy brimmed vintage(?) Dobbs, which is a 7 1/4 and a beautiful rich dark brown and a black brim. It seems to fit perfectly, and it is in fantastic condition. Sorry, no photos yet. I have to take some and get them posted up so I can find out how old it is likely to be. I noticed immediately that the touch and feel of the felt is WAY better than on the new Bailey.

One thing I am wondering, is when did Dobbs start using clear plastic over the label in the top of the satin liner?

Welcome sir!
Not sure you can date when they started using that, but based on what I know of other manufacturers mid-late fifties.
If you're able to supply pictures then I'm sure one of the Dobbs experts would be able to offer assistance.

Apologies but I love using this one:

worthlesswithoutpics

KevKaos59

Familiar Face
billyspew said:
Apologies but I love using this one:

worthlesswithoutpics

HAHA No different than what I would do in one of my other forums given the same situation. I really hope that I can get some pics tonight. Do I need a certain number of posts to be able to insert photos?

The main reason I asked is because I thought maybe the use of plastic would have put it into the 60's. Wasn't sure how much plastic was used in hats of the 50's. I paid a fair amount for the hat, and was happy to see what great condition it is in and the better feel over the new Bailey, but it would be a shame if it turned out to be from last week rather than a couple decades ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany