Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm new too!

RaasAlHayya

A-List Customer
Hi Ladies!

I've been reading the posts for about a week now, and I'm finally jumping in.

For quite a few years, I've enjoyed A&E's "Poirot" and "Jeeves & Wooster" series, sighing over the lovely clothes and the elegant settings. Recently, I decided to try some vintage style myself, but I haven't had the time or money to buy or make anything yet; I just got married and bought a house.

I'm really looking forward to getting to know all you lovely people!

--Leslie

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Welcome to the lounge! It's great to have another lady in here :) Shopping at vintage stores can be an inexpensive way to shop and it's always easier on the pocketbook if you gradually increase you wardrobe. I hope you enjoy visiting with us and look forward to your posts.
Caroline

RaasAlHayya

A-List Customer
Thanks for the warm welcome, ladies!

One of the things I'd like to try is recycling a man's suit to make a ladies' suit. Somewhere, I saw instructions in a wartime article that someone had posted online.

--Leslie

book_lover

Familiar Face
Hello from another newbie! Your wedding pic is lovely btw.

Poirot is fantastic! Jeeves and Wooster - that's an old British programme too isn't it?

Looking forward to chatting with you :)

Bookie

RaasAlHayya

A-List Customer
Etienne wrote:

"Congratulations on such happy things going on in your life!"

Thank you, Etienne!

mysterygal wrote:

"and it's always easier on the pocketbook if you gradually increase you wardrobe."

No doubt, that's the way I'll have to do it!

Lauren Henline wrote:

"My mom has been trying forever to get me to watch Poirot."

You should! David Suchet is the most adorable Poirot.

book_lover wrote:

"Jeeves and Wooster - that's an old British programme too isn't it?"
It came out in 1990, and ran for about three years. I have the first three of the four seasons on DVD and watch them constantly!

LizzieMaine wrote:

"Another Jeeves and Wooster fan here -- a great source of inspiration for high '30s style!"

It is! I would especially love to get my husband to wear one of the grey flannel suits Bertie wears. *swoon*

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Lauren Henline said:
Hi! Welcome! My mom has been trying forever to get me to watch Poirot. I'm going to have to do it now :)

Poirot is AWESOME. Only the David Suchet ones though, for some utterly unfathomable reason for some of the Peter Ustinov Poirot episodes, they set it in the 80s. Nowhere near as awesome! [huh]

Caledonia

Practically Family
Hi and hello. Poirot is so much better with David Suchet! Make yourself at home Raasalhayya. Somebody pass over that bowl of peanuts.....

P

Paul

I have to agree David Suchet! makes Poirot came to life for me . A little while ago there was a episode where Poirot when into s shop the buy a pair of stockings, apart from just getting the right level of embarrassment for the time ( a man buying ladies undergarment) and only in a way that Poirot could do as justifying it as part of his investigation was so good and pulled it off well.
For me what I liked was how the shop was set in period style with row upon row of boxes behind the counter and when he asked for stocking the lady bought out several boxes and explained the different price, better quality ones and gauge etc
I just think how nice it would be to go into a shop like that today for you ladies and have some one tell you about the item, even if it did take a little longer and making you feel special when buying fashions,
Going back to the stockings example well in the 30's silk stocking were expensive so you got the full sales pitch just the opposite of today.
Poirot compulsive viewing for me where possible.
The House of Elliott also a feast for fashion to watch (Out on DVD now)

RaasAlHayya

A-List Customer
Hi Paul,

I didn't see that episode of Poirot, but I do remember that scene from the books. Was it Cards on the Table?

It is really nice (but rare) to walk into a shop today and get real helpful attention. Too often when you ask for help, the answer is "not my department" or "I dunno" as the "associate" slouches off to do who-knows-what.

--Leslie

P

Paul

RaasAlHayya said:
Hi Paul,

I didn't see that episode of Poirot, but I do remember that scene from the books. Was it Cards on the Table?

--Leslie
Leslie:- I think you are right it was about a game of bridge which ended with a murder, and the guilty lady was found out by letting her take a pair of stockings off a table which he had bought.

RaasAlHayya

A-List Customer
Just this minute, I am watching "Poirot: The Cornish Mystery" on Biography. It's been so long since I've read the book, I don't remember it!

--Leslie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltqt