Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm writing a book on vintage clothing with a section for guys!

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
I am writing a book on how to wear vintage clothing and vintage styles, I am devoting a part of my book to women's clothing, but I would also like to extend part of my book to mens wear as well. To me there is nothing better then a man in a pinstripped suit, a fedora and spectators, and I just want to encourage more men to follow in path of all the gentlemen on here that look absolutely marvelous.

If you guys could give me some tips on what you would like to see in the book, what you think should be added, even some tips you would have for men who are clueless about classic style.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Clueless but Interested

You will have to wait for Mr 10,000 postings to surface or ask some of the other blokes round 'ere what have the knowledge like.....

Edward

Bartender
As a total newb, I know I would welcome some information on buying advice. Nothing that would go out of date quickly (like specific shops), but more things like:

- a rough checklist of things to look for when buying a vintage or vintage repro suit (probably two different animals, that)

- advice on how to make your outfit have a sort-of vintage look. We all have to start somewheres (as I'm currently doing) - some advice on basic features to look for in a modern suit that can then be dressed with affordable accesories to give a general if not wholly accurate on the anally retentive level vintage look, such as the relative newb will not be embarassed gonig to an event.

- advice on dress codes - e.g. when should I wear black tie? or white tie? when is a lounge suit appropriate? etc... Can't hurt to have that kind of information collated. One thing that grates on me, for instance, is seeing people being all "llok at me, I'm groovy" wearing smoking jackets out with black tie, when these were only really, as I've always read at least, an acceptable substitute for the tux jacket for the host at a house party.

Are you considering illustrations? I know one thing I'd really love to get hold of would be a book of illustrations of typical men's clothes - suits, formalwear, casual wear from the 30s / 40s / 50s... you know how wargamers can buy books with colour illustrations of the armies and uniforms from the period they are working on? I'd love something like that for civilian clothes - it'd make it a whole heap easier to put together an outfit that was specifically 30s, or 40s, or 50s style.

- underwear.... I think it's less of an issue for us guys (for ladies I know not wearing correct period underwear in some cases can totally change the way the whole outfit hangs), but maybe something on socks - what general look did socks have in the 30s, for instance, and how might that be approximated with modern socks? IMO, it's these sorts of little details that make or break an outfit.

- accessories and how to wear them - pocket squares, cufflinks, tieclips... differentiation on tie styles (thin 50s, wider and shorter 30s.... and some illustrations to show the difference). Some diagrams of common tie knots and how to tie them, also how to fold a pocket squre for different effects would be great. Maybe it might be worth including a how-to guide to tieing a bow tie - the commercial instructions that came with mine weren't clear and that made it harder to learn. Once I had it clarified, though, it seemed so obvious.... if folks saw how easy it really can be, I'd like to hope they give up on these ghastly pre tied options...

something on constructing an overall look with coordinating colours etc without it looking like a costume would be great too...

I guess a lot depends on whether you're aiming at the seasoned pro or the total newb.... I come at this from the perspective of someone who is on the anally retentive side, wants to know how to do it right, and would welcome some further guidance as to how to aim for greater authenticity and period feel.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
If the way most of these books are written is any guide, you'll want to limit it to 4 pages, with pictures of one straw boater (size 6 5/8), a red and white bowling shirt (size S), and a moth-eaten 19th century frock coat on a dummy. Don't even MENTION suits, ties, or the 1930s or '40s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav