Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Imaginary wardrobe

renaissancemedici

One of the Regulars
How would you put together a femme fatale summer wardrobe?
I was thinking white, but no concrete plan. Sunglasses, platforms, scarves.
Pencil skirts, shirts, feminine blouses? What about the trousers?
Any ideas?

Nikki Darling

New in Town
I love daydreaming about the perfect wardrobe! ...Which is mostly a dream for me since I'm out of college and into student loans, haha. I personally want to mostly have a trouser/jean with pretty blouse combo, and a few 40s/50s dresses for when I want to feel girly.

But as far as femme fatale for summer? Hmm I think of things like a pink slinky dress, other pastels that aren't necessarily slinky, or maybe a top with nautical like stripes with some lovely swing trousers. I'd say all of those are summery, but femme fatale. As a warning, I am new to vintage- but I am an artist so that is how I'd design my vintagey summer femme fatale character :p Hope that helps!

Classydame

One of the Regulars
Oh, that made me laugh so hard, Idledame! It is so true to! With working 12 hour days six days a week, I feel like have gained 200 pounds. I want a fantasy body and age too! Thanks for posting, I needed a good laugh!

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
hmmm, an interesting idea.

My imaginary wardrobe might or might not be vintage. My body type is suited for 1940s vintage, so that is what I've gone with.

Femme Fatale? I am already like this anyway! I don't even think about it frankly.

Maybe there needs to be a defining 'femme fatale' first.

I never think of looking at any clothes as being femme fetale or not. If so, then the clothes would be wearing me, not me wearing the clothes. I think its the attitude one has about their own personal style and a healthy self confidence that the woman projects, its not the clothes one wears. The clothes are simply a means of expression.

As a social ballroom dancer, I have more dresses in the evening attire category than in daywear. I love going out in the evening wearing a vintage fur with modern and vintage clothes! I love sparkly and satin cocktail dresses, and beaded and embroidered long gowns.

I feel best in a dress or a skirt. Hate jeans, try to only wear them for doing chores.

I love colour, and my favourite go-to-colour for summer is a bright rose pink, worn with orange and white. Another combination is rose pink, with light green and pale yellow.

Summer clothes: Little linen gored skirts, cotton stripe or print blouses, hight waisted linen trousers. Figure hugging knit tops. Striped sunhats. Gap v-neck tshirts with multi coloured scarves or chunky necklaces.

Black knit pieces. A tan. Fancy belt. Big sunglasses. Hair slicked back into a pony tail.

Last edited:

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
the more I think on this and see the others' responses, the more it gets my interest going.

Wouldn't want a fantasy body, i would just like the one I have to be a bit slimmer (carrying some stress weight right now), and better toned. I've been there and done that, was very satisfied with what I could accomplish for my figure with eating healthier, lowering my stress level, and exercising more. I can and have done this sucessfully. I'll get there again soon enough.

A fantasy age? I like the age I am now. I've come a long way over the years. Wouldn't change it.

A fantasy, handsome guy? I got a very good man right now in my life. Our relationship is not always perfect, but its very real. He's quite handsome and well built. He watches what he eats, he exercises and is in very good shape. At age 57, he weighs only 3 pounds more than he did when he got done with bootcamp at age 18. He loves me, and cares for my two teenagers very much. He welcomed us into his home, its a good life here we are creating together the four of us. No fantasy needed, he's the real thing.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
The wikipedia definition of Femme Fetale:

"A femme fatale (pron.: /ˌfɛm fəˈtæl/ or /ˌfɛm fəˈtɑːl/; French: [fam fatal]) is a mysterious and seductive woman[1] whose charms ensnare her lovers in bonds of irresistible desire, often leading them into compromising, dangerous, and deadly situations. She is an archetype of literature and art. Her ability to entrance and hypnotise her victim with a spell was in the earliest stories seen as being literally supernatural; hence, the femme fatale today is still often described as having a power akin to an enchantress, seductress, vampire, witch, or demon, having some power over men.
The phrase is French for "deadly woman". A femme fatale tries to achieve her hidden purpose by using feminine wiles such as beauty, charm, and sexual allure. In some situations, she uses lying or coercion rather than charm."

Wow. What an eye opener. Forget this! This ain't me, and its the last thing I want a man to think of me as, or how I'd want to portray myself as.

renaissancemedici

One of the Regulars
Oh, girls, I am no femme fatale eighter, but I think I should have been just to get back at someone I know :D
Anyway, I agree it's not about clothes as it is about attitude.

I'm not in the mood for fashion these days, and yet it's the only thing that I know will make me feel better. I never used to thing that appearences matter that much, but growing up I realise they do matter. Unfortunately I might add. Of course being well groomed and everything is a must, but I don't mean that. I mean projecting a certain image, and I was never aware of doing that. Hence I have always been all over the place.
Now I understand this is a mistake, because people do judge by what they see, and being kind and simple apparently gives off an impression of weakness.
That's why I had the femme fatale image in my head, more like a confident and difficult to figure out woman.

So, white, tan, sand and olive colours it is.
My most favourite screen ladies wore white:
Ingrid in Casablanca is my best example. I've always wanted that wardrobe ;) Rick included.

Sorry about the rant, I've always tried to be positive and cheerful, but I wonder if it's worth it. Maybe I should try being a b**ch and see what happens?

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Sorry about the rant, I've always tried to be positive and cheerful, but I wonder if it's worth it. Maybe I should try being a b**ch and see what happens?

I am also going through a tough time, the toughest I've ever had in my life, sprinkled with events that have been the best in my life. I want to let you know that kind strangers have made some of my darkest days brighter. You have no idea what other people are going through in life, and being kind to a stranger could make all the difference in the world. I was at a local festival several weeks ago, right after receiving more bad news. A woman there gave me a pair of earrings because I was a new mom. She said that "New moms rarely get anything, the babies get everything." I almost started crying in front of her because it was just such a kind thing and I really needed kind things at that time. I will remember that woman for the rest of my life and she will never know how much her actions really meant to me.

In the past couple of months, grand actions like that, but even small smiles or chitchat from strangers have given my life normalcy and cheered me up immensely. And I can tell you, there are plenty of people walking around facing the same kinds of things I am facing. You can't tell who we are from the outside. Your positive attitude makes a difference to me and the people like me who are struggling so.

I'm not saying that you should be a doormat, because you shouldn't. If someone is treating you badly, you have to stop it and that might mean acting like a b*tch. What I am saying is that the kindness you show to a lot of people you'll never understand or see how important it was to them. Kindness matters in ways you can't even fathom.

ETA: In other words, don't let those who treat you badly change you. Who you are matters, and who you are is making a difference in ways you can't even understand. If you let the negative people change you, you've let them win.

Last edited:

renaissancemedici

One of the Regulars
You are so right, thanks for your answer and kind words. I suppose you are right, plus kindness is supposed to win in the end, doesn't it? I used to believe that a lot, but it seems I am turning into a cynic. I'll try to fight that though because it means defeat, to turn bitter ;) It does feel good though to imagine giving them a taste of their own medicine :D:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner