Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Import Duties....... What the Hell?

Justhandguns

Practically Family
However, I do ship globally almost daily. Ever since I started using USPS First Class at about 10.00 as opposed to USPS Priority Mail at 23.95, my international sales have doubled. I am also more than willing to under declare almost ridiculously to help out my patrons abroad.

Ah.... your patches are usually not a problem as they are sent in large envelopes, not in boxes.

I seriously believe that many governments around the western world are starting to think that they're losing a lot of potential tax revenue through all this online buying marlarkey and hence why there seems to be more custom fees, etc coming around.

Since Osborne took charge of our treasury in the UK, they started to squeeze every single bit out of our pockets. I suspected they start to modernise their system at the custom offices. These days you will fine barcoded records on the notifications and of course.... online payment to clear you goods. Very few things can get passed these days....

As stated, I do have that luxury that I can pass on. Hard for customs to put a value on hand made items like that. Also goes for vintage items though, I have declared a 250- Japanese sword blade much less than the sale price. Also, Ebay allows for changes on the customs form as if they are encouraging it in a way. You'll notice countless other automated blocks for things they prohibit etc. But I think they recognize the potential profits that could be lost if sellers aren't able to tweak things and ease the financial burden of international sales.

Edward

Bartender
Since Osborne took charge of our treasury in the UK, they started to squeeze every single bit out of our pockets. I suspected they start to modernise their system at the custom offices. These days you will fine barcoded records on the notifications and of course.... online payment to clear you goods. Very few things can get passed these days....

I think they may well have updated the processes. It does seem, though, that they've finally caught on to international ecommerce as a potential "threat" to UK business, given that it is still so often cheaper to buy and ship than buy closer to home. I'd say that's the root. They do seem to particularly target stuff coming in from the US.

Dickie Teenie

A-List Customer
Ordered $90 worth of leather working tools from the USA, the manufacturer Fed Ex'd to me here in Greece. They arrived yesterday and i expected to pay the VAT but brokerage and handling of $97 plus the $30 taxes is obscene. I told them that and had them sent back, there's a $25 re export fee plus shipping that will come off the $90 the company will refund me. Not happy.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
If I was a seller, I'd lie through the roof about the declared value. And dump the tea overboard while I was at it. What a sham.

ertu

New in Town
Yeah, try 40% on every single clothing item from abroad, which is how much this whole Import duty + tax nonsense costs here. And if I don't pick up my parcel in three days that I've been notified of it's arrival, I get hit by handling fees. So that's another $20. It effectively makes anything from the US pretty much unattainable for me.

40%? That is way too much. You definitely should try to get the laws changed. Which country in Europe is this?

Croatia, Ertu. That's the law and I doubt it's gonna change any time soon but at least we're free from the import taxes from countries belonging to the EU - Scotland included. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR