Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Impulse boot buy

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Well I'm glad I didn't take the plunge yet. Just started a new job (there have been a few of them recently), and was finally feeling like I'd found something I could hold onto. Then today the boss has a chat with me about how I need to do better and am not meeting expectations, much to my surprise, and despite never having worked harder in my life! (strange hours, 2-11 am). So now I'm deflated and yet again in a world of financial uncertainty. Boots/jacket aspirations on hold once again. Thanks all for the input.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I actually took an interest in the boots in the first place because they were symbolic of my little worker bee ethos! Something rewarding about wearing a pair of these when you actually work!

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Well, I stopped in that White's dealer today. They only had a single Smokejumper and the Nick's equivalent in the store on display. I didn't know this, but apparently Nick's/White's are practically the same thing/company. When I decide to plunge (life issues will dictate that), it's only a matter of choosing something beforehand and bringing it in to order!

Both boots felt extremely substantial. Like the LW/FQHH of boots.

pak

One of the Regulars
My understanding is Nick used to work for Whites. Nicks is also located in Spokane, Wa. Nicks makes a fine product.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
The only difference between the two, literally, were the leathers and the color of the screws in the sole. 95% of the owner's words were that they were practically the same thing. He even told me that White's owners shipped their boots to Nick's for repairs and vice versa.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Note that Nick's uses McKay stitcher on a lot of their boots.
The difference in quality is arguably minimal, but I'm told it's one cause of the micro creases found on a lot of their boots (where the vamp leather is stitched down to the soles). As I understand, when you machine stitch the soles, the last is not pulled as tight leaving a little slop; this is largely mitigate with fully handmade boots becuase the bootmaker can better control the tension. That said I think you can get pretty much any Nick's Boots done by hand, but at an upcharge.

Last edited:

LouisBailie

Banned
The difference in quality is arguably minimal, but I'm told it's one cause of the micro creases found on a lot of their boots (where the vamp leather is stitched down to the soles). As I understand, when you machine stitch the soles, the last is not pulled as tight leaving a little slop; this is largely mitigate with fully handmade boots becuase the bootmaker can better control the tension. That said I think you can get pretty much any Nick's Boots done by hand, but at an upcharge.

Nicks boots are thicker leather than Whites uses. They are take longer to break in and are heavier.

tnjyoung

A-List Customer
How about the Wolverine White Pine? The come with a rubber "grippy" sole right out of the box. Here is a photo of mine:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
How about the Wolverine White Pine? The come with a rubber "grippy" sole right out of the box. Here is a photo of mine:

Those are great. Just because I'm headed in a White's direction doesn't mean I don't like the others. It's just a matter of what I'll get first!

nick123

I'll Lock Up

Thanks for the info!

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Resurrecting this thread after two weeks' wearing experience of Art89's pre-loved Nick's boots. These have been wonderful! I believe the model is a Ranger or Homesteader in dark brown with mini-Vibram soles. I've worn Red Wings, Justin, Frye, Wolverine and Carolina's and have never experienced a set of boots that anywhere near this thick and substantial, yet have such a comfortable arch support. They truly are first rate and you can wear them all day indeed. Also I really appreciate that all their boots are made right there, by hand, in Spokane WA. I'll be considering another pair in black sometime next fall/winter timeframe.

samo

One of the Regulars
Could not resist, as I received them today :) : William Lennon WW1 boots:

P1010455_zpsummgnuxk.jpg

P1010456_zpsnzdvdcbe.jpg

P1010457_zpsy3lpowqd.jpg

Last edited:

Peter Mackin

One Too Many
Have you considered the Red Wing Heritage option? I share Damo's issue with the 1000 mile boots. The smooth leather sole is like ice on many surfaces. The Iron Rangers don't have a tread, but the RW Beckman's do. Here is a picture of them in black (several other colors are available).

DSC_0228_zps987a7ec8.jpg

The RW Heritage collection can be found here:

http://www.redwingheritage.com/USD/footwear#category=6-inch-boots

Good luck!

Chris
Have you considered the Red Wing Heritage option? I share Damo's issue with the 1000 mile boots. The smooth leather sole is like ice on many surfaces. The Iron Rangers don't have a tread, but the RW Beckman's do. Here is a picture of them in black (several other colors are available).

DSC_0228_zps987a7ec8.jpg

The RW Heritage collection can be found here:

http://www.redwingheritage.com/USD/footwear#category=6-inch-boots

Good luck!

Chris
only thing I would like with the beckmans is a pull tab...it really bugs me not having them

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran